• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

40#1Fan

DirecTV dropping Versus network

Rate this topic

In no time they gave me free Center Ice for the season plus a free HD DVR upgrade.

I can verify this. I just called and politely told them I was thinking of going to AT&T U-verse for hockey coverage and got free Center Ice.

Ugh, I only managed to get 50% off CI. But maybe thats because I only joined Directv last month and they called my bluff about paying a $250 cancellation fee to switch providers. Whatever, better then nothing.

I have a question for everyone.

Couldn't DirecTV just air the games on some satellite-like channel (say channel 800 or something) while these negotiations are taking place? That way there wouldn't be a Versus because of the negotiations, but at least we'd get to see the games that were supposed to be aired.

Nope because, Versus owns exclusive broadcast rights to those games.

Edited by RedWingsFan4Life

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2009/09/nh...be_to_dire.html

Per the Globe and Mail's Bruce Dowbiggin...The Denver Post's Adrian Dater provided an update on the contentious negotiations between Versus and DirecTV, which may not cover the Detroit Red Wings' season-opener against the St. Louis Blues on Friday if the two sides cannot reach a resolution as to Versus' broadcast fee. Dater complimented the following article from last Saturday's Denver Post with a slate of full transcripts of his interviews with both sides on Tuesday night, but what matters at present can be summarized with a "cross your fingers" comment from DirecTV's VP of public relations:

September 26, Denver Post:

While no Versus programming has been available on DirecTV since Sept. 1 — exclusive sports fare that has included Indy Racing League and several major college football games — A DirecTV spokesman said this week the possible effects of incurring the wrath of NHL fans might be enough for the satellite provider to put Versus back on its listings, even if an agreement isn't reached by Thursday.

"If we don't have a deal with Versus by the time hockey season starts, DirecTV would certainly be open to putting these games up for our customers while we continue to negotiate," DirecTV vice president of public relations Darris Gringeri said.

While those words offer hope the situation may be cooling off, much of the rhetoric remains heated. Versus has taken out half-page newspaper ads slamming DirecTV for its decision and encouraging DirecTV subscribers to drop the provider.

Versus president Jamie Davis said the ads are working, with DirecTV losing subscribers to other providers.

"People like Dish Network have added 9 million new subscribers for Versus that weren't there before Sept. 1, and another million from other cable operators around the country," Davis said. "So we've made up the vast majority of the lost Versus subscribers on DirecTV, and when we looked at our viewership numbers from the first three weeks of September 2009, to last year at the same time — when we were on DirecTV — our ratings (have) been up nearly 30 percent.

Davis said Versus isn't asking for any price increase, and said the real issue is his network's refusal to sign a long-term agreement with DirecTV that, he said, would give DirecTV the right to charge more for Versus by placing it in a new split of tiered package channels.

Said Gringeri: "If we don't get a fair deal, then all of our customers are going to have to pay more, and we don't want to have to pass that sort of increase on to them in these financial times."

FYI....I was automatically renewed through DirecTV. After reading this thread, I called Directv and got $50 off my current subscription.

I basically went on Versus.com and counted how many RW games where on (9) and told DTV that I am a RW fan and because of the Comcasr/DTV issues I would not get to see those games. The first rep was very rude. I had told her that ANY game that would be on Versus would NOT be on Center Ice regardless as V has rights. She wanted to argue and say she can not foresee the future and put me on hold. I hung up after 10 mins waiting. Called back, explained again. This time the CSR was friendly and understanding (even though a Hawks fan). She said she could give me $50 off. I accepted. Also please note that my DTV contract ended on the 25 of October. So I had a little leverage as I said I would just go to ATT U-Verse (not even available in my area - LOL).

In any case DTV is handling this well IMO. They know they could loose subscribers.

GOBLUE AND GOWINGS!!!!

Edited by Up Against the Boards

i got my first installement of 44.95 on my bill for center ice. after reading all of ur posts on here, i decided to call and try what u guys did. except when i called i told the guy i called a week prior threatening to switch to dish network and the only reason i was staying with directv is because the supervisor offered me center ice for free. she switched me over to an executive or something like that and he was real nice and gave me center ice for free the whole year, and the sports pack free for three months!! i couldnt believe it!! i hope everyone else does the same i saved $164 just by making a 10 minute phone call woohoo go wings!!

If any of you remember, the NHL network broadcasts the VS games the next day so you will be able to see the games but not live.

I don't think so, the Pens vs. Wing game was blacked out for me when I tried to watch it on the NHL network.

Guest Shoreline
i got my first installement of 44.95 on my bill for center ice. after reading all of ur posts on here, i decided to call and try what u guys did. except when i called i told the guy i called a week prior threatening to switch to dish network and the only reason i was staying with directv is because the supervisor offered me center ice for free. she switched me over to an executive or something like that and he was real nice and gave me center ice for free the whole year, and the sports pack free for three months!! i couldnt believe it!! i hope everyone else does the same i saved $164 just by making a 10 minute phone call woohoo go wings!!

Wow, you guys rock!

So we had canceled Center Ice like yesterday because it wasn't worth it for me to get it if I wasn't going to be watching as much, however, I called them today with what "Wizard of Oz" did up there, told them I was disconnected from my previous call, but was upset that there was no Versus, told them we did our HD upgrade JUST for hockey (which is true since I had it set to 720p instead of 1080i for hockey), and the whole cancellation spiel. They not only gave us free Center Ice for the whole season, but gave us $20 off for 6 months on the regular bill.

That's a pretty damn good way of keeping loyal customers. This was a few months after getting a free upgrade to HD, no install charges or HD-DVR charges or anything.

It's gonna suck not seeing Versus at all, if not only for a short while, but hell, can't compete with that. :)

Thanks again for the heads up!

Wow, you guys rock!

So we had canceled Center Ice like yesterday because it wasn't worth it for me to get it if I wasn't going to be watching as much, however, I called them today with what "Wizard of Oz" did up there, told them I was disconnected from my previous call, but was upset that there was no Versus, told them we did our HD upgrade JUST for hockey (which is true since I had it set to 720p instead of 1080i for hockey), and the whole cancellation spiel. They not only gave us free Center Ice for the whole season, but gave us $20 off for 6 months on the regular bill.

That's a pretty damn good way of keeping loyal customers. This was a few months after getting a free upgrade to HD, no install charges or HD-DVR charges or anything.

It's gonna suck not seeing Versus at all, if not only for a short while, but hell, can't compete with that. :)

Thanks again for the heads up!

glad to hear that. if we dont get versus at least we can get most of season free. good job!!!

glad to hear that. if we dont get versus at least we can get most of season free. good job!!!

to be honest, I just want the wings games. the center ice package would be a nice little perk but I'd rather they just get their s*** together and straighten this thing out.

Mickey Redmond was on Drew & Mike (local moring radio in Detroit) and he sounded pretty bummed out about the Versus/DTV conflict, apparently he's a DirecTV subscriber too. I hope they come up with some type of deal today, it may be a long shot but it's possible. They might just be holding out 'til the 11th hour just because that's how lots of these business negotiations seem to happen.

thank god for CBC here in Detroit.

Edited by b-random

With all of these "% offs" flying out the door, it makes one wonder what the answer is to this question:

How do they make any money????

they must overcharge by just the right amount to several million people :D

lol just saw this:

By overcharging in the first place.

esteef

Edited by OsGOD

So I signed a year contract with DirecTV and asked to make sure they had FSN Detroit and Versus. Now Comcast and DirecTV are in a dispute and I can't see any games on Versus. If I order Center Ice, will I be able to see every Wings game? The customer service guy is offering it for over half off and I'm gonna take the deal but will be pissed if I miss the biggest games of the year and the playoffs.

Edited by KDDRWINGS1

So I signed a year contract with DirecTV and asked to make sure they had FSN Detroit and Versus. Now Comcast and DirecTV are in a dispute and I can't see any games on Versus. If I order Center Ice, will I be able to see every Wings game? The customer service guy is offering it for over half off and I'm gonna take the deal but will be pissed if I miss the biggest games of the year and the playoffs.

You won't get to see any Wings games that are on Versus. They'll all be blacked out on CenterIce.

Why not look at Dish? That's what I'll end up doing after this season if this isn't resolved by then.

Guest micah

Just like always, I agree with Shoreline. You guys rock, thanks for the heads up. Hooked myselef up with free HD service and DVR thingy (which I didn't have before) and got Center Ice for 1 installment of $40 - which we had already paid. Also got $10 off per month.

I suspect Versus will be back on DirectTV by Christmas time.

You won't get to see any Wings games that are on Versus. They'll all be blacked out on CenterIce.

Why not look at Dish? That's what I'll end up doing after this season if this isn't resolved by then.

That sucks!!!!!!! After this one year contract ends I'll look at Dish, I wanted Comcast until my neighbor who's a Comcast customer service rep said he'd kill me if I subscribed to Comcast. Thanks!

Rumor has it that Dish and Versus agreement is up in January. I doubt Comcast will think twice about trying to bend over another company. I wonder if the NHL's response to that will be to put a letter on their website telling hockey fans to now contact Dish. They seem to ignore that if the rumor is true and the DirecTV issue is not resolved, no satellite provider in the US will be broadcasting national games. What a way to NOT get exposure for your product.

The best we can hope for is (sorry, have to bring Crosby into this ha ha) Cindy whines that his family are DirecTV subscribers and can't watch him on Versus. Bettman will get up from his knees and finally call Comcast because whatever Cindy wants, Cindy gets.

Thing is, Dish is going to have to deal with Comcast/Versus when their contract is up. So you could run into the same problems.

I just got off the phone with Directv and talked very calmly with a supervisor. We had a very nice conversation and she was a very good listener, sympathetic, and admitted they'd lost customers because of the Versus fiasco. I reminded her that we'd been with Directv since '98, and asked her questions about what the status of the actual situation with Comcast was (was DTV just trying to sign Versus to a longer contract or was Comcast mainly demanding more money?); (she didn't know about the new info) Asked her if we'd get compensated if Versus was actually removed; Asked when (the hell) Directv was going to bring in Canadian networks with their hockey games - maybe as a compensation...She said she thought that was a great idea and that she could suggest that to someone with clout there, so who knows...

The upshot of it all was that we will not be paying for Center Ice this year, and have a $10 discount for six months.

Edited by Vladifan

Rumor has it that Dish and Versus agreement is up in January. I doubt Comcast will think twice about trying to bend over another company. I wonder if the NHL's response to that will be to put a letter on their website telling hockey fans to now contact Dish. They seem to ignore that if the rumor is true and the DirecTV issue is not resolved, no satellite provider in the US will be broadcasting national games. What a way to NOT get exposure for your product.

The best we can hope for is (sorry, have to bring Crosby into this ha ha) Cindy whines that his family are DirecTV subscribers and can't watch him on Versus. Bettman will get up from his knees and finally call Comcast because whatever Cindy wants, Cindy gets.

Wow....what's the toughest pill to swallow out of all this is that my wife and I switched to DirecTV simply so we could get NHL Network which was pulling games from CI. We figured DTV was the best way to go because it covered everything. Now, if all Satellite providers can't work it out with Versus, then it will force us to miss atleast a portion of the games every year. It's sad when you think about the fact that I do anything, and pay whats requested in order to get every game, and I'm still unable to get all the games.

Does anyone know if the game in Stockholm will be aired in the US? I cannot find the tv listings. FSD doesn't help those out of market. 1pm on a Friday doesn't help me out much but I could DVR it if aired here.... NHL is probably too stupid to nationally televise this anyways...