• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wings-fan for life

Rank this Decade's Cup Losing Teams

Rate this topic

I saw and commented on the thread about ranking the Decade's Cup Winning Teams, so I thought it might be interesting to see what people thing about the teams that weren't quite as fortunate.

1. 00 Stars

2. 01 Devils

3. 02 Hurricanes

4. 03 Mighty Ducks

5. 04 Flames

6. 06 Oilers

7. 07 Senators

8. 08 Penguins

9. 09 Wings

In order, from best to worst,

1. 04 Flames

2. 01 Devils

3. 06 Oilers

4. 09 Wings

5. 08 Penguins

6. 00 Stars

7. 07 Senators

8. 02 Hurricanes

9. 03 Ducks

The only justification I'm giving for this at present...04 Flames should have won the Cup, like I said on the other thread, the officials screwed them...03 Ducks are the worst simply because of Giguerre and the whole goalie pads situation which even prompted the League to change the rules about their pads the next year. Any other comments or concers, just ask :)

Is this the same Flames team that got past an injured Wings team and then lost to one of the decade's worst Cup teams in the Finals?

Even if you think Calgary got screwed, they were nowhere near the best Finals loser. They were a 6 seed if I'm not mistaken. I'll do my list later, but Calgary will be near the bottom.

01 Devils

00 Stars

09 Wings

07 Senators

08 Penguins

06 Oilers

04 Flames

02 Hurricans

03 Mighty Ducks

Tough to do -- for instance, if the 09 Wings were not hit with 70+ man games lost to injuries, I would have put them further up.

Edited by egroen

In order, from best to worst,

1. 04 Flames

2. 01 Devils

3. 06 Oilers

4. 09 Wings

5. 08 Penguins

6. 00 Stars

7. 07 Senators

8. 02 Hurricanes

9. 03 Ducks

The 01 Devils, 00 Stars, 08 Penguins, and 09 Wings were all a year removed from winning the cup. With a topic as subjective as this one, your list should start with them because they were not your sometimes fluky contender riding a hot goalie (like the flames, canes, ducks, and oilers)... nor were they a team that gelled at the right time, but proved they weren't a legitimately strong team by ungelling just as quickly (like the Senators).

Look at any other season and your Irbes, Giggies, Kippers, and Rolosons were not able to repeat those performances... which calls into question how "great" those teams were.

Edited by RedWings Gone Wild

Is this the same Flames team that got past an injured Wings team and then lost to one of the decade's worst Cup teams in the Finals?

Even if you think Calgary got screwed, they were nowhere near the best Finals loser. They were a 6 seed if I'm not mistaken. I'll do my list later, but Calgary will be near the bottom.

It's that same Flames team that eliminated the top three seeds in the Western Conference only to lose in seven games to the top regular season in the league. The Flames were screwed over badly by the league when Kerry Fraser was booed off of Saddledome ice but was chosen by the league to Ref game 7. If I remember correctly in that game 7 the Flames were down 2-1 with less than two minutes left and Kerry Fraser called a penalty against them. There's also game 6 with the phantom goal but I won't press that too much as Darryl Sutter could have risked calling for a review.

I love the Red Wings injuries comment though. This year the Flames lose their second line and "choke" the division lead yet I'm told injuries aren't an excuse. Then when they go into the playoffs missing Regehr and having to play Sarich on a broken foot and Phaneuf whose list of injuries was stacked at that point they are eliminated yet injuries aren't an excuse. Langkow couldn't even shoot the puck due to one hand being broken and the other one rendered useless because of a sprained wrist. Bourque was still suffering from a high angle sprain after being slewfooted by Dan Fritsche in February.

It's that same Flames team that eliminated the top three seeds in the Western Conference only to lose in seven games to the top regular season in the league. The Flames were screwed over badly by the league when Kerry Fraser was booed off of Saddledome ice but was chosen by the league to Ref game 7. If I remember correctly in that game 7 the Flames were down 2-1 with less than two minutes left and Kerry Fraser called a penalty against them. There's also game 6 with the phantom goal but I won't press that too much as Darryl Sutter could have risked calling for a review.

I love the Red Wings injuries comment though. This year the Flames lose their second line and "choke" the division lead yet I'm told injuries aren't an excuse. Then when they go into the playoffs missing Regehr and having to play Sarich on a broken foot and Phaneuf whose list of injuries was stacked at that point they are eliminated yet injuries aren't an excuse. Langkow couldn't even shoot the puck due to one hand being broken and the other one rendered useless because of a sprained wrist. Bourque was still suffering from a high angle sprain after being slewfooted by Dan Fritsche in February.

Detroit had 70+ games lost to injuries this past post-season, many to top players, and came within 1 goal of the Penguins in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. How did Calgary do despite their injuries?

Of course injuries are not an "excuse", but they certainly are a reason. I posted Calgary would be swept in the first round this year, because of all their injuries.

Edited by egroen

The reason I do not consider that Calgary team as a very good team is simply because they lived and died with Kipper.... everything hinged upon him. PERIOD.

The flames were 12-1 that postseason when Kipper let in 1 or fewer goals.. They were 3-10 when Kipper let in more than 2 goals. TWO MEASLY GOALS. That's how offensively inept they were. Their three victories when Kipper allowed more than 2 goals? 3-2 against Detroit.... 4-3 against San Jose (and it went to OT).... 3-2 against Tampa... They eeked by in every round on Kipper's coattails. I don't care what the reffing did, it's because of teams like Calgary that we had the rule changes... get rid of the clutch and grab crap... it was the only thing they were good at.

Top scorers?: Iginla 22 points in 26 games... Conroy 17 in 26.... and Gelinas 14 in 26...

1. 2009 Red Wings

One of several defending champs on this list, but this team got to the Finals with so many injuries and had a tough road to get there. Also, with the addition of Hossa they were more talented than the team that won it the year before.

2. 2001 Devils

Maybe the best out of all the Devils teams even though they lost

3. 2000 Stars

Lucked out to beat Buffalo the year before, and lucked out from not having to face Detroit in their runs.

4. 2007 Senators

Dominated the East all season and coasted through the playoffs.

5. 2008 Penguins

Won the Cup in 2009 so they were no fluke. Also, they were dominant in the playoffs in the East.

6. 2004 Flames

How the hell did this team make it to the Finals?

7. 2006 Oilers

See above post

8. 2003 Ducks

See above post

9. 2002 Canes

See above post

One thing I've noticed, is that there were many surprise teams to make the Finals in this decade, but that all of them lost.

Edited by GMRwings1983

1. 2009 Red Wings

One of several defending champs on this list, but this team got to the Finals with so many injuries and had a tough road to get there. Also, with the addition of Hossa they were more talented than the team that won it the year before.

2. 2001 Devils

Maybe the best out of all the Devils teams even though they lost

3. 2000 Stars

Lucked out to beat Buffalo the year before, and lucked out from not having to face Detroit in their runs.

4. 2007 Senators

Dominated the East all season and coasted through the playoffs.

5. 2008 Penguins

Won the Cup in 2009 so they were no fluke. Also, they were dominant in the playoffs in the East.

6. 2004 Flames

How the hell did this team make it to the Finals?

7. 2006 Oilers

See above post

8. 2003 Ducks

See above post

9. 2002 Canes

See above post

One thing I've noticed, is that there were many surprise teams to make the Finals in this decade, but that all of them lost.

I agree with this list. Maybe, just maybe, I'd swap the Penguins and Senators. The Sens really didn't put up a fight against Anaheim. Pittsburgh was definitely not ready for the Finals in '08 but eventually, despite being coached by Therrien, they made it interesting.

1. 09 Wings

2. 01 Devils

3. 00 Stars

4. 04 Flames

5. 07 Senators

6. 08 Penguins

7. 02 Hurricanes

8. 03 Ducks

9. 06 Oilers

The only reason the 06 Oilers even made the playoffs to begin with was because of the shootout, it seemed like they were in one every week that season. Half the players on that team were also rentals. I put them behind the Ducks because of the teams they faced. The top 4 seeds in the West were all knocked out in the 1st Round in 06. They faced the Wings in round 1, who that year got a large chunk of their points against the ridiculously easy Central Division and were nowhere near to being a good playoff team at that time. Then the Oilers got the Sharks in round 2 and were down 2-0... then the Sharks did what they do best, choke. They breezed by the 6th place Ducks and almost beat arguably the worst cup winner of the decade. The Oilers and Hurricanes failed to make the playoffs the next season, which marked the first time that both finalists did that I believe?

Even though the 03 Ducks did only make it to the final because of Giguere and his massive equipment, they did face some tough teams. The Wings were defending Champs and Dallas was #1 in the Conference, and Jersey was #2 in the east and a defensive machine.

That is because they had no real playoff experience. There are plenty of examples of teams that have gotten to the finals, without a lot of prior experience, but they pretty much always lose. You need to keep a team together over a 2 or more year period, getting deeper into the playoffs, to really win the Stanley Cup.

09 Wings- take away the injuries that plagued half of our roster and Wings take the Pens in 5 games

00 Stars- I was still very young in 2000, but i remember this team being great offensively with the likes of Modano, Hull, Neuindyke, etc. And judging by the other posts in this thread, most seem to agree that this was a great team that just needed one more year to take home the hardware.

01 Devils- Neidermayer, Rafalski, and Stevens on the same blueline... enough said.

08 Penguins- Tons of young pure talent that just didn't have the experience to take on the mighty Red Wings. As much as it still bothers me, they got their revenge the following season...

04 Flames- The best playoff outing for Jerome Iginla thus far in his career plus great goaltending from Kipprussof = Cup contender.

07 Senators- Nobody from the Eastern conference could touch this team in the 07 playoffs. Unfortunately, they hit a road block in the finals.

06 Oilers- The best 8th seeded team to make it to the finals this decade. When you combine a hard-nose, gritty offense with Pronger on the blueline, you have a good chance to create some playoff upsets.. which is exactly what this team did.

02 Hurricans- It was anyone's game on who made it out of the east in 02. People knew whichever team ended up doing so didn't stand much of a chance against Detroit in the finals.

03 Mighty Ducks- If it wasn't for J.S. Giguere, they would have been easily swept in round 1 by Detroit.

1. Wings (Come on now, there's a difference between homerism and realism... They were the exact same team that won the 08 cup + Hossa. Pittsburgh just played their guts out.)

2. Sens

3. Stars

4. Flames

5. Pens

6. Devils

7. Oilers

8. Ducks

9. Canes

1. 2009 Wings

2. 2001 Devils

3. 2000 Stars

4. 2007 Senators

5. 2008 Pens

6. 2003 Ducks

7. 2004 Flames

8. 2002 Hurricanes

9. 2006 Oilers.

10. 2005 Bettmans

The top three for me are really close. All three of those teams could have won the Cup had they played any of the bottom six teams on this list. Two years ago, I liked Ottawa's offense and thought they earned the East (They were 42-15-1 after a very slow start) by beating #1 and #2 in successive five-game rounds. For once, they didn't have to go through Tronna to get there. The 2008 Penguins were much more resilient than a lot of people give them credit for, given their crappy coach. Then you start getting to the Ducks (trapped out by the Devils, might have beaten a more free-flowing opponent), the Flames (trappy trap trap), Canes (steamrolled by the Wings, I can't even remember who they beat) and the Oilers, who learned to block shots for two months. I guarantee you, there are about 2,000 "PECA 27" jerseys in the basements of Edmonton-area homes collecting sawdust right now.

Despite knocking out the Wings (which I blamed solely on Legace and made it easier for me to like them :)), I wish Edmonton had won. That team had so many great stories and players I liked, it was too bad. I'd put them behind the Wings, Devils, and Stars and just in front of the Pens.

Meh, other than the Devils, Stars, Wings and Pens, they were all crazy one-hit lucky wonders who didn't even make playoffs afterward. So I'd rank Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa, etc. all in a lump at the bottom of the pile and then rank the remaining like this:

1) Wings. We dominated the playoffs without ever really playing a full 60 minutes, and only lost by a single goal in a game seven, missing a couple of posts that could've tied or won the game. This against a "young and powerful" Penguins team that also had experience. I think it's pretty clear that the '09 Wings were the best losers of the decade.

2) Devils. Let's face it, the Devils were stacked. They've been a pretty damn good team for many years now, only struggling recently.

3) Stars. Again, they were pretty talented and stacked, and knew how to win. Like the Wings and Devils, they had two back-to-back finals appearances.

4) Penguins. They were a talented team, to be sure, and gave the Wings a few scares, but they never really had what it took. They were clearly a one-dimensional team with a lot more talent than the lower ranked teams.