• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
titanium2

Chelios among options for Predators

Rate this topic

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090827...g+Chris+Chelios

The Predators have every intention of placing their developing prospects in the holes left by departing defensemen Greg Zanon, Greg de Vries and Ville Koistinen.

Advertisement

But if they need some more seasoning at the seventh spot on the blueline, they haven't ruled out adding a veteran before the start of the season.

One of the names being tossed around is 47-year-old Chris Chelios, whose abrasive style of play and frequent conversations with referees often made him a target of Predators fans.

Coach Barry Trotz and Chelios recently had a light-hearted talk on the topic.

"I said, 'Chris, are you sure you'd have the interest of playing in Nashville, because you're not exactly well-liked here?' '' Trotz said. "He said, 'Trotzy, trust me, I'm not well-liked anywhere.' I said 'Yeah, I guess you're right.' ''

Chelios, considered by some to be the best U.S. hockey player of all time, has played 25 years in the NHL, breaking in with Montreal in 1983-84. He played in 28 regular-season games and six playoff games with Detroit last season but won't be re-signed by the Red Wings.

A three-time Stanley Cup winner and three-time Norris Trophy winner as the league's best defenseman, Chelios said several times in the offseason that he'd like to play one more year.

"I've let everyone know that my intention is to play ... I think there are some teams out there I can help,'' Chelios told USA Today while serving as an assistant coach at the recent U.S. Olympic orientation camp.

"I'll be waiting by the phone, and we will see what happens. But I'm at the point that I'm ready to listen to anybody. I have to start out playing just to keep in shape and keep in the loop.''

Chelios' conditioning program should let him play another season, Trotz said.

"Physically, he's a specimen,'' Trotz said. "I think he would be a guy we would definitely consider.''

Trotz also mentioned de Vries and former Phoenix defenseman Ken Klee as potential veteran adds. But he reiterated that the plan is to give prospects such as Alexander Sulzer, Cody Franson, Teemu Laakso and Jonathon Blum a chance to fill out the roster.

"We've made it clear we're going to give the younger guys the opportunity,'' Trotz said. "We really like the upside they have.''

Request for Mods: I'm sorry about the thread title. Can someone please change it to "Chelios among options for Predators" and then "per Tennessean.com" in the subtitle?

Another Edit: Thanks Mods.

Edited by titanium2

I'm wondering what will happen to all the "Chelios is a sissy" chants if this comes true....

I'll chant it when I'm at the games just for the hell of it.

I want Cheli to keep playing. But come on, the Preds?? Jesus there are 27 teams in the league outside our division. Why does every former Red Wing have to stay in the central?? I was more worried about Cheli going back to Chicago. But still, get the hell out of the central please.

No! Chelios needs to retire as an Original Sixer. I know he really wants to play, but he should just hold out. Someone's going to need him to fill in eventually.

On the one hand it's great he may get to keep playing, but for such a forgettable, joke of a franchise? Chelios is better than that.

I want Cheli to keep playing. But come on, the Preds?? Jesus there are 27 teams in the league outside our division. Why does every former Red Wing have to stay in the central?? I was more worried about Cheli going back to Chicago. But still, get the hell out of the central please.

This might actually work in favor of the Red Wings for once though.

Now the Wings would benefit from Chelios' "skating" and turnovers. :thumbup:

EDIT: In all seriousness, good for Chelios if he wants to keep playing and some team is willing to sign him. His conditioning is just unreal.

Edited by GoWings1905

I'm wondering what will happen to all the "Chelios is a sissy" chants if this comes true....

They'll keep saying it, and "sissy" will change in the American Slang to mean "hot man who drives women mad". All the youngsters out there will be calling each other "sissy" and it will be cool. Cheli has that power.

Best of luck to him where ever he goes. I admire that he keeps at it for the love of the game.

They'll keep saying it, and "sissy" will change in the American Slang to mean "hot man who drives women mad". All the youngsters out there will be calling each other "sissy" and it will be cool. Cheli has that power.

Best of luck to him where ever he goes. I admire that he keeps at it for the love of the game.

I've been on the edge of my seat waiting for a hysterical post from ChelisChick.

I've been on the edge of my seat waiting for a hysterical post from ChelisChick.

I have just NOW seen this. Didn't get on a computer all day yesterday. So, *ahem*..............

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I only live about 2 hours away from Nashville.

Just sayin'.

I KID!!! I KID!!!!!;)

Say, Kristi...tell Daniel that the chastity belt he ordered got delivered to me by mistake. I'll be FedExing it out to him ASAP.

:P