• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Sergei Fedorov91

Sergei Fedorov91

Touchdown

• PipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:28 PM

Any PS3 owners reccomend getting this? Anything you hate about the PS3? I was going to buy a blu ray player but it seemed to me that the one included with the playstation was comparable to players costing a lot more. Plus the price drop to 300 of the slim, I dont see a lot of negatives. However I own a 360, so the gaming factor has to be a factor. Are the PS3 only games getting a lot better than the ones offered in it's original launch? Thanks for any input.

#2 T-Ruff

T-Ruff

BAMF

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 01:03 AM

The consensus is that exclusive games for each system are a wash at this point...

Noteable PS3 exclusives include:

LittleBigPlanet
Resistance 1 & 2
Unchartered 1 & 2
Metal Gear Solid 4
Fat Princess (PSN game)
Killzone 2
Ratchet and Clank
M.A.G. (coming soon)
Gran Turismo 5 (coming.. lol)
God of War III (coming)
ModNation Racers (coming, similar "Play, Create, Share" style like LittleBigPlanet)

Things that I don't like? hmm, One negative is that since Blu-Ray is pretty new, the drives in PS3's are only 2x speed, so some games require you to install files to the hard-drive before playing simply because it won't be able to read the disc quick enough. Doesn't bother me but it's worth noting.

Another potential negative is that the newer models (even fat ones) aren't backwards compatible with PS2 games, although it appears this could be fixed via a firmware update in the near or slightly more distant future.

Slim models also don't support the installation of a secondary operating system like the fat PS3's do.

#3 Esquire

Esquire

Fix up, Look sharp.

• HoF Booster
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 07:45 AM

QUOTE (Sergei Fedorov91 @ August 27, 2009 - 09:28PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any PS3 owners reccomend getting this? Anything you hate about the PS3? I was going to buy a blu ray player but it seemed to me that the one included with the playstation was comparable to players costing a lot more. Plus the price drop to 300 of the slim, I dont see a lot of negatives. However I own a 360, so the gaming factor has to be a factor. Are the PS3 only games getting a lot better than the ones offered in it's original launch? Thanks for any input.

I'm picking my 120G PS3 Slim up today!

In my opinion, for what I need, there isn't anything better. Wi-fi, blu-ray, and free online.

I know there's a lot of talk of PS3's "lack of library", but once NHL '10 drops I don't care if they release another game all year! Until then, I'll be downloading Final Fantasy VII and Metal Gear Solid from the Playstation Network Store for a whopping $10 each. Gotta love the PSOne Classics section!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Sergei Fedorov91

Sergei Fedorov91

Touchdown

• PipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 08:33 AM

How long does it take to install a game to the hard drive usually? I've sold all my old PS2 games so backwards compatability wont bother me. I actuallly ordered it along with MLB 09 the show. People have told me to get metal gear solid 4, what do you guys think? Thanks

#5 T-Ruff

T-Ruff

BAMF

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:27 AM

I haven't played too much PS3 games outside of NHL to have actually had to install games to the HD...

but my research shows a few examples:
Metal Gear Solid 4:
Start-up: 8 Minutes
Act 2: 3 Minutes
Act 3: 3 Minutes
Act 4: 2 Minutes
Act 5: 1 Minute
MGS4 decided to not do one huge install at first but install some of the stuff later in the game, masked by cut-scenes however.

GTA IV:
5 min

not too bad overall, I'd personally rather wait for a game to install than stress the drive and disc

Although Devil May Cry 4 is apparently 22 min blink.gif laugh.gif

However, I'm led to believe that there's not a large amount of games that require this, and newer games are trying to do without it....

And I haven't played MGS4 but the reviews are outstanding and it's been called one of the best games of this generation so...
quote from IGN review closing comments:
Is it possible to give a game an 11? If so, this would be the game that would merit that score. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is a title that exceeds all of the hype that was attached to the title. Regardless of whether you've seen every trailer and screenshot, read every preview and heard every interview, you won't get a full sense of how phenomenal this title is unless you sit down and experience it for yourself.

Legends die hard and deserve a heroic story that lives on when they are gone. Metal Gear Solid 4 is such an ending for the legendary warrior Solid Snake. Not only does it sum up the full franchise of Metal Gear, its depth and its complexity, coupled with its technical prowess, make it one of the best games of the year and, indeed, one of the best games ever made. Get some well earned rest, Snake. You've earned it. We salute you.

and
Buy this game. I don't care if the gameplay in the past titles didn't appeal to you, I don't care if long cutscenes scare you, and I don't care if you're broke.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is the best reason to own a PlayStation 3 thus far.

I've played every Metal Gear Solid game since the series won me over in 1998, and I can tell you that I have never felt as connected to Snake as I did in this game. Hell, I've never felt this connected to any character in any other videogame that I've played......This game is emotional, powerful, fun, beautiful, deep, engaging, and just about every other positive adjective you could assign it. Metal Gear Solid 4 pulls you in and doesn't let you go until the final, final credits roll.

Edited by T-Ruff, 29 August 2009 - 09:32 AM.

#6 Sergei Fedorov91

Sergei Fedorov91

Touchdown

• PipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 07:23 PM

Sounds like a great game, will definately have to be my next pickup. 22 minutes for that game? Damn. Also ordered the Matrix trilogy and Planet earth blu-rays to try out that blu ray drive. Do you play a lot online? How is lag?

#7 T-Ruff

T-Ruff

BAMF

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 10:25 PM

I've played a lot online NHL 09 over the season and even on my crappy internet (~65kb/s download max) there's little lag unless someone else is using it heavily (downloading etc).... At the other place I play online (~700kb/s download max) lag is virtually non-existant, again unless someone is using bandwidth heavily in some other area.... I think it makes sense that it would depend on the game as well (?)

Also, even though the PS3 has built-in WiFi, I've heard that a wired connection gives better results, which makes sense (I've had to use wireless)....

Edited by T-Ruff, 29 August 2009 - 10:26 PM.

#8 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,582 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 09:52 PM

I'm thinking about getting a PS3 slim soon as well, but I'm finding it pretty hard to pick between that or a 360. Someone help me out:

I play mostly sports games, but I also play pretty much every other, simulator, first person shooters, games like GTA and Godfather, etc.

What I hear is that everythign is pretty much a wash, except for

A) Lag when playing EA games online.

B) PS3 has much fewer people in the online community.

C) PSN is free (but supposedly not as good as XBOX Live.

Considering the hardware breakdowns of the Xbox (I have yet to hear a story from someone who has never had to replace theirs) and the fact that I keep reading articles about how the PS3 is "getting there," it seems like the PS3 would be the better investment.

I guess the main question is: do the sports games play well online, and are there enough people on PSN to play games with?

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#9 T-Ruff

T-Ruff

BAMF

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:48 PM

QUOTE (VM1138 @ September 4, 2009 - 10:52PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guess the main question is: do the sports games play well online, and are there enough people on PSN to play games with?

Of course there are less people on PSN than Live, but when the amounts are in the tens of millions, the difference is negligible... Probably even more so with sports games as they typically sell high volumes and playing online is a more prominent feature....

I've only played NHL 09 on PSN and never had to wait longer than 5 seconds for a ranked match (19/20 times it's instant).... and NHL is probably the least popular sports game overall as well.

#10 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 06:32 PM

Well channel 7 Detroit news said today that the XBOX 360 51% failure rate. PS3's is 10%. PS3 is far superior to the crap-box. Get it, it will be one of your best buys, EVER. They are unbelievable. You HAVE to get Metal Gear Solid 4. Best game ever made, period.

After all the downloads you will fall in love, I guarantee it.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 Winged_Wheeler

Winged_Wheeler

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 12:38 PM

PS3 is definitely worth the money, and there's nothing to worry about the game library this console carries.

Exclusives worth buying (to name a few that I own)

-Killzone 2
-Little Big Planet
-Uncharted: Drakes Fortune (the second one comes out soon!)
-Metal Gear Solid 4
-InFamous (very, very good game)

Some PSN Games I enjoy

-Fat Princess
-Super Star Dust HD
-Any of the PixelJunk games
-Warhawk (also sold on disc)
-Pain
-High Velocity Bowling

There's a heck of a lot more then that, but those are the games I can think of right now.

The online component, PlayStation Network (PSN) is a great service to do what everyone wants to do, play online! What better way to do it by using built in WiFi and connect for free to PSN. So far PSN exceeds the expectations of the word "free"

Notable features (PSN)

-100 player friends list
-PlayStation Store (Game and Video; movies, TV shows, ect.)
-Online chat rooms (Text, Voice, or Video)
-Message sending is as easy as it can get (also features a copy and paste function)
-In-game XMB (access friends list, view downloads, listen to music; if the game supports it)
-Trophy system
-PlayStation Home (although still in public beta, it's worth visiting it and watch how it evolves over time)
-Dedicated servers for first-party games (Reduces lag; 32 player game in Warhawk won't lag a bit)
-FREE!

Also, having a web browser on the PS3 is really sweet too.

#12 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,582 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:15 PM

Just got a PS3, I love it so far. I've toyed around on it, but I only own NHL 10 and I'm honing my skills on that before I try playing online. But I love, love, love it.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#13 waitahochiminute

waitahochiminute

Henrikov Zetterstrom

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 12:04 AM

I personally bought a 360 and have been liking it for certain types of games (racing, first person shooters, RPG's) but I broke down and got the slim the day it came out strictly because if shadow of collosus 2 comes out I will explode with happiness. It is the cheapest blu-ray player around and you can hook up to the internet free of charge. I would recommend it...

#14 dallas27

dallas27

It worked with Hossa, now it's Ilya's turn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 03:02 PM

The Playstation Store is worth it alone. I just downloaded two episodes of it's always sunny the other night for 4 bucks, takes about 20 minutes per episode to download, reasonable. I'm not sure if xbox has any feature like that but with the psn store you can download virtually any current tv show. Not to mention loads of movies. The only reason to buy a 360 would be for Halo, and I never thought Halo was all that great...

I have MGS4 and I've played about 1 hours worth. NHL takes up way too much time. Still haven't beat GTA 4 yet either.

It's a Festivus miracle!!!

"For the next 20 minutes, you will sit in silence while I tell you why the Detroit Red Wings are the greatest franchise in the history of professional sports." -Dr. Perry Cox

#15 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:47 AM

Question about MG games: do you recommend playing them in order of when they were released or in chronological order?

I've played Metal Gear Solid already. It was great and if the MGS 4 is as good as everyone is saying I want to play these other versions too before playing it.

Also, which MG is the worst one? You have to warn me before I start playing (Hitman 3 was crap, you know).

edit: More questions. Should I just play Substance instead of Sons of Liberty or play them both? Does Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence have anything worth trying? Damn, I'm confused with all these different versions and plots.

edit2: Question about GTA IV. Is it hard playing that kinda "shooter" game with PS3. I remember all the problems when playing something like Medal of Honor with console. It took about an hour to get that crosshair on the right place to make that head shot. I know things may have changed now. Should I get GTA IV for my PC for MAYBE a better gameplay or for my PS3 for definitely better graphics. My PC doesn't necessary have the requirements though.

Edited by Finnish Wing, 19 October 2009 - 07:05 AM.

Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#16 T-Ruff

T-Ruff

BAMF

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:12 AM

QUOTE (Finnish Wing @ October 19, 2009 - 07:47AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, which MG is the worst one? You have to warn me before I start playing (Hitman 3 was crap, you know)

According to IGN the "worst" one is Snake Eater, with a terrible rating of 9.6 laugh.gif

Metal Gear Solid: 9.8
MGS2: Sons of Liberty: 9.7
MGS3: Snake Eater: 9.6
MGS4: Guns of Patriots: 10

"Worst" is irrelevant in this case, you just can't go wrong wink.gif

I personally am hoping to play them in order someday, but if I'm not mistaken they make an effort to make each game stand on it's own. Of course it's safe to assume that it'll be a better and more appreciated experience if they are done in order though.

Should I just play Substance instead of Sons of Liberty or play them both? Does Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence have anything worth trying? Damn, I'm confused with all these different versions and plots.

Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance contains MGS2: Sons of Liberty and lots of extra stuff [details], same goes for Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence as an extension/add-on of MGS3: Snake Eater [details]... So you really only have to play one of each pair if you want to experience the previous storylines, and you can check out in the links if the extra stuff is worth it for you (I haven't played any MGS game but hope to someday)

Question about GTA IV. Is it hard playing that kinda "shooter" game with PS3. I remember all the problems when playing something like Medal of Honor with console. It took about an hour to get that crosshair on the right place to make that head shot. I know things may have changed now. Should I get GTA IV for my PC for MAYBE a better gameplay or for my PS3 for definitely better graphics. My PC doesn't necessary have the requirements though.

I wouldn't compare GTA IV with an FPS like Medal of Honor... There's a lot more involved than shooting in GTA games, and it's 3rd person when it happens.... I always prefer GTA games on console for all the controls that are involved, easier to use than a keyboard/mouse combo.. Of course if you use a game controller for the PC version it would be the same difference, but in that case you would have the same issues that exist with a controller on a console, if any.

Edited by T-Ruff, 19 October 2009 - 10:20 AM.

#17 Redwings-40-5

Redwings-40-5

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 04:19 PM

About 2 months ago I traded my 360, it was at least my 4th xbox, and all my games for a PS3. I've yet to run across much lag if any online, and there seems to be less glitching on the PS community than there was on the 360. Better exclusives, free online, and blu ray is awesome. Definately the best system out right now.
PS3 thumbup.gif

Uncharted 1&2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gears of War 1&2

I also have

Killzone2
InFamous
NHL 10
Demon's Soul

#18 j.hoop

j.hoop

i hate the flyers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 05:39 PM

i think im going to buy a ps3 just for god of war III alone
“Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud.” - Sophocles
Posted Image

This just in, Stevie gives Canada the Order of Yzerman. Country bows and feels unworthy.

#19 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,582 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:29 AM

So many games to play.....

I've been playing mine for about a week and haven't noticed too many lags during online NHL play. One time it froze completely with 11 seconds left, and two or three other times there was a brief drag for about 5 seconds, always in the third period. Nothing really distracting, even.

My one complaint is it's nearly impossible to score in NHL 10, but it's the best game I think I've ever played.

#20 TheGoonSquad0208

TheGoonSquad0208

Game on!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:55 PM

I just got my ps3 slim yesterday I got with it Metal Gear Solid, Killzone II, and NHL 10, so far its pretty cool but I am so use to the Xbox 360 controller its hard to get use to playstation again lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users