• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wings1110

Red Wings 3rd jersey

Rate this topic

Highly unlikely.

Ilitch is pretty much set that the Wings will only use their standard jerseys while he owns the team. The only time the Wings have ever worn third jerseys was when it was mandated by the league. They had third jerseys that they wore in 91-92 for the 75th anniversary of the NHL, which made all O-6 teams wear throwback jerseys, and then last year's Winter Classic.

Since the inception of the third jersey in 95-96, only two teams have not had a third jersey. And that's the New Jersey Devils, and the Red Wings. I really see that the only way the Wings will ever wear a third is either A - Ilitch sells the team, or B - The league mandates that they have a third.

we wore them against chicago at the end of the season

True, but if I recall correctly, Ken & Mickey were talking that they did that as a tribute to the fans, since the WC was in Chicago, and most of the hometown fans didn't get a chance to see them play live in them.

I suppose anythings possible, but I would be very surprised if the Wings did wear anything other than the traditional Reds & Whites.

we wore them against chicago at the end of the season

Holland said that was simply to give our home fans a chance to see them, and to jump start their auction, the jersey's were all sold after that game.

I like the fact that we only have a third jersey once every 16 years, it makes them special!

Edited by Booster313

i wouldnt mind seeing the wings having a third jersey as long as its cool looking. i WOULD NOT want them to wear it because the pens wore it the following year. i also didnt like how often the pens wore the third jersey.

Even though I really liked the WC jersey (I bought one) I would prefer to only see it on a very rare occasion. I like the fact that the Wings do not always follow suit with the majority of the teams that choose to do something trendy.

I've been hearing words floating around that the league may in time require all teams to have 3rd jerseys. Personally I don't see it being much of a stretch, all teams have dabbled in extra jerseys in one form or another already anyway and it would be a fairly easy way to squeeze out a little extra revenue from merchandise. I've heard nothing concrete on the matter though, so don't take me as gospel.

If it did happen I'd be more than happy if they went with their WC jerseys as a proper third. Ultimately I don't see the big deal about not having one anyway, they pretty much only exist for merchandise sales but just because you have the option of buying a third dosen't mean you have to fall for the league's trick. Plus it's not like the on-ice product is going to be irreparably because of an extra jersey being thrown into circulation.

I love the Winter Classic jerseys, when they talked about what jerseys they were going to be wearing for the game I was always voting for the old D. I was at the Winter Classic and I was at the final game of the year when they wore them. I love them but I really don't want them to be the official 3rd jersey. I think they should wear them once a year during their new years eve game. I would give a classy feel to the game and the game has always been a special thing for the team.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Wings wear the third jersey on special occasions like New Years Eve game, that seems to be a tradition. But I would not want them wearing a 3rd jersey all of the time! The Wings have always been about tradition and there is no reason to change it now!

Wings tried this a few years back and the league shot it down :thumbdown:

Source? Not that I don't believe you, but that doesn't sound like something Illitch would do nor the league since the league lets a lot of teams have horrible looking 3rds

I play in this jersey with plain black hockey socks:

20090516161950_2009-0516-ctj-Wings_practice-%20028.jpg

That is the only time black should ever been seen in a Wings uniform.

Can't find these practice jerseys anywhere:

wings_practice8b.jpg

Suggestions?