• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
miller76

Canadian NHL teams facing travel issues

Rate this topic

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=289982

a couple of snippets from the article:

"It's potentially a very significant impact," NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly told Canwest News Services on Friday. "It's crazy and very destabilizing to our business. We're operating on a long-standing interpretation and for it to change overnight on the eve of our season is creating a huge problem for us."

"It's obvious the U.S. Department of Transportation doesn't watch hockey."

Guest Four
I think this could turn into a much bigger problem than it sounds like thus far. This is going to be a real headache for these teams.

Yes I know that. The article talks about Canada being as stupid and doing the same thing back to the US, which would really end any Canada/USA-related sports

This doesn't just hurt the NHL-- it will have an impact on the NBA too. The Raptors play 41 games in the US a year and likewise, they have 41 US team visits to Toronto (which could be an issue given the fact that the article indicated Canada plans on imposing the same rules on US teams as a retaliatory measure).

This would obviously have a brief impact on the MLB, but not a big one given the fact that the Jays are so far out of the playoffs they might as well be the Pirates.

These two governments and agencies or whoever need to find a away to come up with an agreement with the transporting these sports teams. And why would Canada retaliate and make this a pissing contest?

The article only said Air Canada Charters. I wonder if it is just Air Canada.

Do teams ever take the bus anymore? Or have I been watching too much Slapshot?

I wasn't sure, so I thought I'd ask.

Not in the NHL. Some teams still take charter flights or maybe even fly on commercial flights (:lol: maybe the Thrashers and those types of teams fly commercial).

Busing to games like they do in the AHL is really stressful and difficult on the players. Just ask members of the Griffins.

These two governments and agencies or whoever need to find a away to come up with an agreement with the transporting these sports teams. And why would Canada retaliate and make this a pissing contest?

The article only said Air Canada Charters. I wonder if it is just Air Canada.

Why would they retaliate? Because that's the best way to make it end. The US department of transportation is far more likely to reverse the decision if American NBA, NHL and MLB teams call them and complain than if Canada complains.

Not in the NHL. Some teams still take charter flights or maybe even fly on commercial flights (:lol: maybe the Thrashers and those types of teams fly commercial).

Busing to games like they do in the AHL is really stressful and difficult on the players. Just ask members of the Griffins.

Do they fly, even it's Philly and NJ or the NY area teams or what have you. There has to be some bussing. I would find getting your s*** together for a flight thats only 15 minutes is kind of stressful.

Why would they retaliate? Because that's the best way to make it end. The US department of transportation is far more likely to reverse the decision if American NBA, NHL and MLB teams call them and complain than if Canada complains.

I am equally faithful to both these nations, being a Canadian living in the U.S., but I cant help believe that both these countries cant suck it up and not be so effing high and mighty all the time!

Do they fly, even it's Philly and NJ or the NY area teams or what have you. There has to be some bussing. I would find getting your s*** together for a flight thats only 15 minutes is kind of stressful.

I believe they still fly in those cases if the drive would be a few hours (which I assume it would be even in those cases). This is especially true for teams with private jets like the Wings. They still take a bus from the airport, though. :P

I am equally faithful to both these nations, being a Canadian living in the U.S., but I cant help believe that both these countries cant suck it up and not be so effing high and mighty all the time!

I just can't understand why this situation is happening in the first place. Are Canadian professional sports teams a national security risk or something!?!

Update

This yahoo article (WTF?) has more content and info then the TSN one... Link

some snippets...

NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly warns the charter ban will create a complicated "patchwork" of travel that could "wreck havoc" with the oncoming hockey schedule, including early league games in Europe, as teams scramble to book flights under the new rules.

"It's potentially a very significant impact," Mr. Daly said Friday. "It's crazy and very destabilizing to our business. We're operating on a long-standing interpretation and for it to change overnight on the eve of our season is creating a huge problem for us."

Air Canada executive vice president Duncan Dee predicted the ruling will create "chaos" for teams shuttling across the border. "It's extremely messy for both American and Canadian teams," he said. It was a unilateral action imposed without consultation or Air Canada being able to defend itself. It's obvious the U.S. Department of Transportation doesn't watch hockey."

The bans "represent a potentially big problem for our teams," said Richard Peddie, chief executive of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, which owns the Toronto Maple Leafs and Raptors.

"This is truly an unfortunate situation at the moment," said Ricky Olczyk, the Edmonton Oilers' assistant general manager. "But we remain hopeful that this matter will be resolved in an expeditious fashion."

Ross Fisher, president of Miami Air, said teams will have to find a second carrier, at an added cost, or fly back and forth across the border. Canadian teams, he noted, will be hit hardest. "You've got a lot of hockey teams up there. How many of their games are played in the States versus Canada?"

The Globe also points out that this isn't just about Air Canada:

Miami Air International, a Florida company that provides charter services for the Blue Jays and five U.S.-based NHL teams including the Pittsburgh Penguins, was told this week to cancel nearly 60 flights to Canada in September for NHL preseason games.

This actually sounds like it could be serious and pose problems...

Edited by FunkedUp

Somewhere I'm smelling a Bettman vs. Balsille thing right in the middle of this. I can just see Gary going to the US DOT and saying " Is there a way we could make it so that Canadian teams can't get in our country, you know, just to screw with their heads." And then Balsille moves his Rook to cover the Queen, just for posturing sake. Time for everyone to go and watch "Canadian Bacon" again. The war is about to start.

I can totally see the Panthers flying economy class, next to 5 year-old kids screaming and by the bathrooms. Half of the time their luggage gets lost too.

I believe they still fly in those cases if the drive would be a few hours (which I assume it would be even in those cases). This is especially true for teams with private jets like the Wings. They still take a bus from the airport, though. :P

Most teams bus around to the NY area games. The NY area teams definitely bus to games against each other, don't know about teams like Philly. The Leafs bus to games in Buffalo (and vice versa), I do know that.

Most teams bus around to the NY area games. The NY area teams definitely bus to games against each other, don't know about teams like Philly. The Leafs bus to games in Buffalo (and vice versa), I do know that.

This.

A lot of teams bus it for the short trips that otherwise would not make sense to fly. Buffalo-Toronto stretches are a perfect example of this. It's 2 hours from the ACC to the HSBC Centre. It nearly takes 2 hours to get to the airport from the ACC in Toronto when you take the traffic into account... It would actually take longer to fly from T.O. to Buffalo than drive.

This doesn't just hurt the NHL-- it will have an impact on the NBA too. The Raptors play 41 games in the US a year and likewise, they have 41 US team visits to Toronto (which could be an issue given the fact that the article indicated Canada plans on imposing the same rules on US teams as a retaliatory measure).

This would obviously have a brief impact on the MLB, but not a big one given the fact that the Jays are so far out of the playoffs they might as well be the Pirates.

The Raptors have their own plane (same with the Leafs) so I don't know if this affects them. So far all I've been able to figure out is that this only affects charter planes run by Air Canada.

Worst case, I guess they could register their plane in the U.S., hangar it somewhere like Buffalo and fly it up to Toronto to pick the teams up. Sounds like pissing a lot of money against the wall, though.

The fact of the matter is that Air Canada is a major terroist threat to the entire world. The rumor is that they have been building a nuclear warhead which will contain out of date Molson Canadian and 345 day old Back Bacon. Be afraid , be very afraid EH !!

Wow, this is retarded. The Secretary of Homeland Security, Janet Napolitano, is a moron when it comes to border issues with our cousin, ally, and largest trading partner to the north. Earlier this year she mistakenly said the 9/11 hijackers came into the US through the Canadian border (obviously untrue). She also announced that the US was going to start treating the northern border with Canada just like the southern one with Mexico, because it wouldn't be fair to play favorites. Later she admitted that she had never been to the Canadian border at all.

"One of the things that we need to be sensitive to is the very real feelings among southern border states and in Mexico that if things are being done on the Mexican border, they should also be done on the Canadian border," Janet Napolitano told a Canada-U.S. border conference in Washington, D.C.

"People are used to going back and forth, and the hockey teams go back and forth.... People just don't think of it as two different countries. But the reality exists that there's a border there."

CBC article

I really feel for the Canadian sports teams! This is rediculous and completely unreasonable...but you know, the Vancouver Canucks might be wacko terrorists :blink: