• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GMRwings1983

Greatest Backhands in Hockey

Rate this topic

When you think of hardest slapshots ever, you think of Al MacInnis, Bobby Hull, Zdeno Chara, Al Iafrate, etc. Also, when people talk about the best wristshot they've ever seen, they usually name Joe Sakic.

So I was wondering, who are some of the guys with the best backhands in hockey history, or even in present day?

The best I've seen are guys like Kariya, Damphousse, Modano. Also, I always heard Dave Keon had a great backhand.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Guest lnvincible
When you think of hardest slapshots ever, you think of Al MacInnis, Bobby Hull, Zdeno Chara, Al Iafrate, etc. Also, when people talk about the best wristshot they've ever seen, they usually name Joe Sakic.

So I was wondering, who are some of the guys with the best backhands in hockey history, or even in present day?

The best I've seen are guys like Kariya, Damphousse, Modano. Also, I always heard Dave Keon had a great backhand.

"The Finnish Flash". Enough said.

As much as I hate to say it, Sidney Crosby. He has even straightened out the blade of his stick to get better wood on the backhands. I remember seeing it compared to Ovechkin, who has a terrible backhand because he does the exact opposite.

As much as I hate to say it, Sidney Crosby. He has even straightened out the blade of his stick to get better wood on the backhands. I remember seeing it compared to Ovechkin, who has a terrible backhand because he does the exact opposite.

I wanted to mention him, but I was afraid certain posters would attack me, and tell me that Crosby plays in the East, where it's apparently easier to score backhanded goals. Also, the refs allow him to illegally curve his stick to score those goals.

I wanted to mention him, but I was afraid certain posters would attack me, and tell me that Crosby plays in the East, where it's apparently easier to score backhanded goals. Also, the refs allow him to illegally curve his stick to score those goals.

Wow. Get over it. I'd hate to be the reason you lose sleep at night.

To answer the question, Crosby does have a very good backhand. I remember seeing Gionta rip one of the meanest backhands I've ever seen from the point and ring it off of the post. Kariya and Gretz have probably two of the craziest backhands ever.

The backhand is sort of a lost art form, with the advent of curved sticks.

Gordie Howe was ambidexterous and had one of the sweetest backhands ever.

Gretzky straightened his stick, and had a great one as well.

Nowadays - Malkin and Crosby both have nice ones. Martin St. Louis has a sweet one.

From the Wings: Zetterberg has one of the best in the league, and Datsyuk and Franzen have shown nice ones a few times.

Yeah, but Crosby doesn't count because he plays in the East where it's scientifically proven to be easier to score backhand goals. Also Oprah has in her book-of-the-month club a tell-all tale of a referee who reveals that the Eeeeevil George W. Bettman holds every officials family hostage during Pittsburgh Crosbys games so he can get away with an illegally curved stick.

Sorry, but that's about all I can contribute to this topic. I remember recent instances of sweet backhands by Franzen against Montreal or the previously mentioned backhand by Pasha on Luongo. Also Zetterberg in the Colorado series was pretty nice and would have to rank up near the top of a "top backhand shots" list.

Crosby was the first one to come to mind for me. Don't be afraid to mention him. It's nice to see him mentioned in a place where mention of him actually belongs.

Can't think of any others off-hand besides what has been mentioned.