• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
miller76

Toronto and Chicago swap picks

Rate this topic

This looks to be more than just normal business of trading draft picks. Read this link from tsn

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=290103

If the Leafs could actually acquire Kessell, that would be huge for this team coming back and being a contender again. I think Burke is doing more, then has been done there in years.

Edited by miller76

So Bob McKenzie is back from summer vacation and drops this little doozy of an idea into our laps.

Welcome back Bob.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=290103

"Well, the move now gives Toronto their own first, second and third-round picks in the next NHL entry draft, which is the prerequisite for any team that would want to submit an offer sheet on a top restricted free agent player this summer.

This deal doesn't mean the Leafs will submit an offer sheet but it now allows them to do so if they so choose.

And which current restricted free agent might be of interest to the Leafs?

Well, Toronto has had significant interest in Boston's Phil Kessel this summer but has not been able to work out a deal with the Bruins."

--

If Burke weren't really interested in making a move... why would he exchange a second and third round pick in 2011 now?

Seems pretty evident that he's gonna make a move.

...but will he make an offer sheet? ...and if he does, will he apologize to Lowe?

EDIT: whoops. this probably belongs in Rumors.

Edited by e_prime

If Toronto got Kessel that would be huge for them they would definetly have a big leg up at being contenders. However you can have an All-Star team but ALL the players have to buy into the team concept for a team to be successful. The Leafs are my favorite Canadian and I'd love to see them get better but I also want the Wings to cath up to the Leafs in Cup soon so I don't want them to be too good to fast. lol.

If Toronto got Kessel that would be huge for them they would definetly have a big leg up at being contenders. However you can have an All-Star team but ALL the players have to buy into the team concept for a team to be successful. The Leafs are my favorite Canadian and I'd love to see them get better but I also want the Wings to cath up to the Leafs in Cup soon so I don't want them to be too good to fast. lol.

I am kind of with you on this. I want the leafs to be a good contending team in the east. Their fans deserve a much better team, then they have been given in recent years.

But I want the Wings to keep pushing to pass the Leafs in Cups.

After watching the Habs fall on their face, I said, that I believed the Leafs were going in such a positive direction, that they would win the Cup before Montreal does!

Edited by miller76

No, this is a different situation. Boston has had ample time to makes something work. Boston needs to make a move in order to sign anyone. Who knows, maybe Boston wants someone to pull the trigger so they can get some picks.

This is a move by Burke to try and force the Bruins hand into making a trade. I think the Bruins probably want to send another body with Kessel to free up some cap space and the Leafs would like to move a blueliner out in this deal to perhaps be able to hang on to one of those picks.

It's a poker game, but Burke just upped the ante. It likely means that a formal offer has been made to Kessel.

This is a move by Burke to try and force the Bruins hand into making a trade. I think the Bruins probably want to send another body with Kessel to free up some cap space and the Leafs would like to move a blueliner out in this deal to perhaps be able to hang on to one of those picks.

It's a poker game, but Burke just upped the ante. It likely means that a formal offer has been made to Kessel.

I see that line of thinking, but what does Toronto really have to offer? The Leafs don't exactly have any stud prospects they could move, and on the NHL roster the only position they have anything to offer up is on D, which Boston is pretty set at.

But at the same time Boston does want to dump some cap space, I could see a possible Kaberle/Kubina + picks for Kessel and a roster player. I've read rumors that the B's want to move Savard, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Savard moved instead of Kessel.

But at the same time Boston does want to dump some cap space, I could see a possible Kaberle/Kubina + picks for Kessel and a roster player. I've read rumors that the B's want to move Savard, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Savard moved instead of Kessel.

Kubina plays for Atlanta.

Chiarelli has said he would match any offer sheet. Ok, how?

Given the situation of both teams, I really couldn't blame Burke for sending an offer sheet.

I have no idea how much Chara makes, but tell Chiarelli we'll give him Rafalski for Chara. :ph34r:

If Burke makes an offer to Boston, people are saying Boston cannot match due to their cap number...Boston can still go above cap...they can match...also with Kessel being on the IR until December, they can match and worry about cap later.

That is why no matter what Boston will match the offer.