• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MissyLKS8

Washing a signed jersey

Rate this topic

Hey everyone, hope your summers are going well. I just was wondering if anyone had any good advice for washing a jersey that has been signed. I'll never put it though a machine; I'll do it by hand but I need tips.

I've had this jersey for quite sometime and there signatures all over but I haven't washed it in years. There's pizza stains, beer stains, probably sweat from the 100 degree day of the parade, dirt, etc. I mean, it looks almost disrespectful to be wearing this when the white is a inconstant beige and brown. I don't want anything to happen to my jersey or autographs, what detergent should I use? Cold Water, right? Hanging it to dry works best, right?

Well first of all never wear it again. Put it behind glass and invest in another jersey. I know some people like to show off their signed things, but whenever I see someone with a signed jersey I only think "wow, that was a mistake". Simply wearing the jersey will wear down the ink.

Anyway, to solve you problem hand wash the stained areas with warm water and soup (maybe some bleach if it's an away jersey or detergent) while avoiding any signed areas. Putting it through the wash in any way will compromise even permanent ink. If it smells just frebreez that sucker.

But after you do wash it please consider a case and a new un-signed jersey.

Edited by ZMAN

man i wear all my signed jersey's .unless i had one signed by yzerman,then i wouldnt wear it.anyways i got pizza sauce all over one of my signed jerseys.did a regular wash and i think i hung dried it. no problems at all signature was fine.

Yeah I have a signed Holmstrom one that I've put through the wash (cold water, no drying) for a good decade. It's starting to fade now so I'm retiring it, but I don't even think he used a laundry pen on it.

I've got plenty of autographed t-shirts that I got signed with a laundry pen and they still look great.

It will eventually fade, but I don't think I'd be super worried if you're just washing it once in awhile. (Or just doing a one-time wash to clean it up and then retiring it)

One of the important things is setting the signature - turn the jersey inside out - set an iron on high - make sure that there's something inbetween the jersey when it's inside out - you don't want to set the signature on the other side of the jersey by accident.

Take a towel and put it over the area where the signature is (WHEN IT'S INSIDE OUT), put the iron over it a few times. The heat will set the signature.

I'm not sure I'd wash it either.....

Well first of all never wear it again. Put it behind glass and invest in another jersey. I know some people like to show off their signed things, but whenever I see someone with a signed jersey I only think "wow, that was a mistake". Simply wearing the jersey will wear down the ink.

Anyway, to solve you problem hand wash the stained areas with warm water and soup (maybe some bleach if it's an away jersey or detergent) while avoiding any signed areas. Putting it through the wash in any way will compromise even permanent ink. If it smells just frebreez that sucker.

But after you do wash it please consider a case and a new un-signed jersey.

Tomato or cream of mushroom?

Sorry. The smartass code compels me.

man toss that bad boy in the regular was,forget dry cleaning.and who cares if he likes to wear it.i war mine and washed it and its fine.you know some of us live here in mich and dont really see it as a big deal to wear ther autographed jersey,i can get signature yearly.NO BIG DEAL wear it ands wash it my friend

I had this problem with an Abel/Lindsay/Howe signed jersey a few years back.

Go to a high-quality, reputable dry-cleaner and have them hand-steam-clean the non-signed areas!!! It didn't cost that much and it (obviously) is no threat to the signatures.

Great idea. Hopefully this won't cost too much... I'm a broke college kid. It's just the front, really --- all the signatures are on the back.

Thanks everyone for your help.

I know everyone is telling me to retired it and as much as I would like to, I can't. And I do have it signed by Yzerman as well as ten others! It's been through everything. It's a part of me. Maybe I should get a new one and wear that one during playoffs and not every game.

I really wouldn't mind getting a Franzen Jersey... Are the "Reebok Edges" nice? Authentic or replica? More decisions.

i love my mccarty authentic 1998 signed nike jersey. complete with fight strap and tags, size 52. The only problem is i cant decide whether to have the front showing or the back when i get it framed since he signed the front, but the back is so pretty. Ive worn it a couple times, probably never again

I have a Homer and Ozzie signed but I still wear them. Not everyone can just frame a jersey and buy a new one. Don't get me wrong if I had a Yzerman signed jersey it would be in a frame for sure.