• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
chrisdetroit

Suggested Rule Changes

Rate this topic

Unfortunately I haven't seen anything on rule changes for the upcoming season. Things that I would like to see changed.

1. Puck over the glass penalty - This is just stupid. It used to be a penalty only on the goalie then it was changed to add anybody. Nobody intentionally puts the puck over the glass. This should be changed to be the same as icing - the offending team cannot change and the puck stays in the zone.

2. No touch icing. Need I say more?

3. The Trapezoid. Please get rid of this and let the goalies come out to play the puck. It has had the unintended consequence of d-men getting run while trying to get to the puck in the corner.

4. No back-to-back games allowed in the playoffs. Also every team must have at least 4 days off between the 2nd and 3rd rounds and 3rd and 4th. One team should not get an advantage over the other due to scheduling when the cup is on the line.

5. Instegator rule - either get rid of it or enforce it 100%. My vote would be to apply it only in the playoffs when teams play each other in consecutive games.

6. Change the schedule: 6 games against division opponents, 3 against other in-conference opponents, 2 against each team in the other conference (home/home)

total 84 games. Eliminate 2 preseason games.

7. Video review. Expand the vdeo review of goals so that any action that occurs within 5 seconds of the puck going in can be changed. For example, a missed penalty or a penalty call that should not have been made. Also, a play blown dead due to the the official losing sight of the puck should be able to be challanged. 1 challange per team per game.

8. 2 points for a win. 0 points for a loss. period.

Comments?

I agree with most of the changes you listed. Number 1 especially, they have to make that the same as icing, that should be a no-brainer. As for the no points for a loss, I think they shouldn't give a point out if the team loses in the 5 minutes of Overtime, but maybe give one out if they lose in the shootout, but I can't see the league making any changes with that.

Guest Four

I like them all. However, number 7 is too much like football. I've thought of that challenge thing also, but it would cause more delays than needed.

i like those suggestions. To me the four most important rule issues are:

Make every play reviewable. Or at least give one or two challenges to each coach per game.

Get rid of the trapezoid.

Establish clear black and white rules for what is goalie interference. Do the player's feet have to absolutely be out of the crease? Can a player make any kind of contact with the goalie? What if the player isn't in the crease? What if the goalie isn't completely in the crease? Define what exactly "inhibits the goalie from making the save." What if the goalie initiates contact? Then enforce the same rules for every player.

No back to back games in the playoffs is also a must.

Edited by Lovin Jiri Fischer

Unfortunately I haven't seen anything on rule changes for the upcoming season. Things that I would like to see changed.

1. Puck over the glass penalty - This is just stupid. It used to be a penalty only on the goalie then it was changed to add anybody. Nobody intentionally puts the puck over the glass. This should be changed to be the same as icing - the offending team cannot change and the puck stays in the zone.

Players used to do it, which is why the rule is there. No one wants to do it, now.

I don't like this in college, and I wouldn't like it in the pros. This would kill any momentum in the game, especially since the league is going back to allowing time outs after icings.

3. The Trapezoid. Please get rid of this and let the goalies come out to play the puck. It has had the unintended consequence of d-men getting run while trying to get to the puck in the corner.

Agree here

4. No back-to-back games allowed in the playoffs. Also every team must have at least 4 days off between the 2nd and 3rd rounds and 3rd and 4th. One team should not get an advantage over the other due to scheduling when the cup is on the line.

No way TV networks will allow this. We have already seen that NBC can dictate dates played and even the teams in the Winter Classic. TV money rules all.

5. Instegator rule - either get rid of it or enforce it 100%. My vote would be to apply it only in the playoffs when teams play each other in consecutive games.

I remember that the players stated they want it kept in, so I don't see it going away.

6. Change the schedule: 6 games against division opponents, 3 against other in-conference opponents, 2 against each team in the other conference (home/home)

Holland asked for an 84 game season, and the Board of Governors voted it down.

7. Video review. Expand the vdeo review of goals so that any action that occurs within 5 seconds of the puck going in can be changed. For example, a missed penalty or a penalty call that should not have been made. Also, a play blown dead due to the the official losing sight of the puck should be able to be challanged. 1 challange per team per game.

I am all for video review being expanded. I just don't see it happening. Your comment on penalty calls won't work, because once an official makes a penalty call, by rule, it cannot be taken back. I would love to see that rule changed. If you go by time from goal, what happens if the issue happened six seconds before the goal. Where do you draw the line.

Agreed. How do you get a point for losing is beyond me. I never minded ties at all.

Comments?

i like those suggestions. To me the four most important rule issues are:

Make every play reviewable. Or at least give one or two challenges to each coach per game.

Get rid of the trapezoid.

Establish clear black and white rules for what is goalie interference. Do the player's feet have to absolutely be out of the crease? Can a player make any kind of contact with the goalie? What if the player isn't in the crease? What if the goalie isn't completely in the crease? Define what exactly "inhibits the goalie from making the save." What if the goalie initiates contact? Then enforce the same rules for every player.

No back to back games in the playoffs is also a must.

If they had clear goalie interference rules, then how could they call a goal back from Homer in the playoffs?

This rule should stay in, for eveyone I think. There are plenty of people who do this intentionally, and it sucks when it's "accidental" and someone gets a penalty, but I don't have a problem with it.

Disagree here, it doesn't work well for me in college, and I don't think it would be a good thing for the sport.

Eliminating the trapezoid is an excellent idea, as the addition wasn't a good idea and actually limits the goalies ability to play, obviously. Take it out.

Wouldn't this be nice, and is it coincidental that both times this benefitted Pittsburgh? In their series with Washington when they had to play games 5-6 back-to-back because Pittsburgh had scomething else scheduled at Mellon Arena when they would have held said game 6? We don't need to go into the Wings getting screwed and additional fatigue due to back-to-back Final games for the first time in decades. As long as the media, or at least NBC is in control here, good luck.

I like your thoughts here, it's not as big a deal in the regular season, but as previously stated, the players seem to want this rule kept.

This would be awesome to have home-and-home with the entire other Conference, but we JUST changed to playing every team at least once, so this probably wouldn't happen anytime soon, although to just change to 84 games to accomplish this would be brilliant.

Video review would be great, but it's hard to determine where we would draw the line. The time thign is tricky, so it might have to say "before the puck goes or is going into the net" or something. I don't agree really with if you miss a penalty you should have to go back and call it, otherwise why don't we go back and do that ALL the time when someone thinks a penalty is missed. The Video review needs to be changed as to what can be reviewed as so often "situation a, b, or c, happens but it's NOT a reviewable play on a goal..." I'm not sure how I feel about the challenge thing, but if you have a legitimate claim, you should be able to ask for review. It would need to seriously be sad down, drawn up, and documented for it to have a shot at working. The line here for what would or wouldn't be allowed or reviewable is almost as paper thin as "goal-tending interference (especially for Tomas Holmstrom,) or (interference if your Nicklas Kronwall).

I'm impartial toward this, I honestly don't mind that you get one point for a shootout or overtime loss, but this would make the league more competitive, at least in theory. I miss ties too, relating to an earlier post.

Comments?

Edited by wings-fan for life

Obviously, since it results in a penalty :hehe: It would be much to easy to toss it over the glass on a PK or something and get a stoppage of play. good rule

Edited by Z and D for the C

Guest mindfly

Can anyone explain this "Trapezoid" thing that goalies can get penalty for i tried google it without results

My personal opinion is that they should remove that automatic faceoff in offensive zone when the other team commits a penalty, it should depend on where the penalty takes place like it's in every other league except NHL.

3pts for win in regulation, 1pts for tie, 0 pts for loss, play 5mins of OT 4on4 if they score they get 2pts other team 1pts. - MUCH BETTER, Original and best. remove the stupid shoot-outs

Edited by mindfly

Obviously, since it results in a penalty :hehe: It would be much to easy to toss it over the glass on a PK or something and get a stoppage of play. good rule

But if it was like icing where the "penalty" would be that you can't change players, why not?

The problem with it now is that it unintentionally happens and sometimes results in a game being decided because of an accident. And it happens frequently.

Before the lockout, it was only a penalty when the goalie did it and you didn't see other players routinely flipping the puck over the glass. With it having the same affect as icing, as I suggested there woould be no reason to do it. You would stop the play but then have to have a face-off in your own zone.

Can anyone explain this "Trapezoid" thing that goalies can get penalty for i tried google it without results

My personal opinion is that they should remove that automatic faceoff in offensive zone when the other team commits a penalty, it should depend on where the penalty takes place like it's in every other league except NHL.

3pts for win in regulation, 1pts for tie, 0 pts for loss, play 5mins of OT 4on4 if they score they get 2pts other team 1pts. - MUCH BETTER, Original and best. remove the stupid shoot-outs

The goalie can only play the puck when it is in the trapezoid or in front of the goaline. This means he cannot play the puck in the areas to the left and right of the trapezoid behind the goaline(the corners) or it is a 2 minute minor penalty. The rule was adopted after the lockout.

You just need to know what to Google. See sections 1.7 and 1.8, and you can click on the diagram to get a good picture.

Edited by CenterIce

i think video review could be expanded, but like others have said, it gets pretty tricky.

for example, let's say datsyuk is driving towards the net, and seconds before he scores, zetterberg gets called for interference or something. maybe datsyuk scores, but even if you go back and determine that the penalty should not have been called, you can't count the goal because if the ref blows his whistle then the goalie quits playing and anything that happens afterwards can't be considered part of the play. same goes for the puck-out-of-sight thing. if the ref blows the whistle, then everyone quits playing and whatever happens after that is moot.

two possible example do come to mind, though they probably only come to mind because of the way they've affected the wings. first would be goalie interference goal call-offs. if the ref determines that it's a penalty, i don't think you could review it for the reasons mentioned above. but if it's a non-penalty call-off, you should be able to go back and determine whether or not the player actually impeded the movement of the goalie. in this scenario, the goalie has no reason to quit playing because there was no whistle, so despite the ref's decision after the play, you could easily change the call.

the other would be the "intent to blow" rule that f***ed us over against the ducks. the whistle didn't go off until after the puck was in the net, so you can't argue that the goalie quit playing because the ref was planning on blowing the whistle. in this instance, the rule isn't really changing the scope of video review (it's still determining if it's a legit goal based on whether or not the goalie had control) but just changes the "intent to blow" rule...i get why the rule is that way, but i think that it would be better to change it.

but, yeah, it gets sticky based on what you can review. for example, that play against SJS where the puck went off the netting and came back into play and they scored. if the puck goes in within five seconds, then can you go back and rule that the play should have been called dead, reset the clock, and get a faceoff? what if they pass it around for a while and then score? what if the puck comes back into play and WE skate down and score? what if it exceeds the five-second rule but still directly affects the play? then you'd have to write something in where the refs would have to determine if the missed call "directly affected" the play or if it didn't, in which case the play would stand. (like, if the puck goes out of play, but then there is three more minutes of continuous play, then someone scores, obviously the missed call didn't directly affect the scoring play.) at that point, you're just introducing a whole new gray area for the refs to use their discression, giving fans even MORE room to argue that the refs f***ed their team over (e.g., "the refs said that directly affected the play and overturned datsyuk's goal, when it wasn't a penalty in the first place and even if it was clearly didn't directly affect the outcome of the play") and i think that's something we'd all like to avoid as much as possible.