Posted 08 September 2009 - 12:09 PM

takin long enough, he needed to be charged

#3 PROBIE4PREZ

PROBIE4PREZ

In Holland I trust.

• PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 12:34 PM

I bet Patty Roy was real impressed by that. His behavior was a digrace to hockey. The goalie didnt accept his offer to fight at center ice so he runs him down and forces the goalie to fight. Sickening.
"I mean, the best thing for my knee, for anyone's knee, is to never play again and retire. But I'm not going to do that." o-captain my captain

#4 stevieisthebest

stevieisthebest

The Captain

• PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 12:40 PM

This vid just pisses me off, what a ***** Roy is.
"15,395 Days since they won the cup...3 seconds left, THE DETROiT RED WINGS ARE THE STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!"

"Lemiuex was hammered by Darren McCarty, and he is being helped into the locker room."

Thanks Steve! #19
Thanks Nick! #5

#5 RedWingAbner

RedWingAbner

My Loony Bun Is Fine, Benny Lava

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 12:45 PM

If an apple drops, how far from the tree does it fall?

Seriously.....what a classy family. I mean, you can only blame the kid so much...."well, dad beat mom, so going after a goalie from another team is ok."

#6 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 01:14 PM

QUOTE (RedWingAbner @ September 8, 2009 - 01:45PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Seriously.....what a classy family. I mean, you can only blame the kid so much...."well, dad beat mom, so going after a goalie from another team is ok."

sadly... so true...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#7 micah

micah

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:00 PM

Was the other goalie's last name "Ghandi"? Who on earth just stands there, gear on, hands at your sides when you have 30 seconds notice that another man wants to fight you? I can't see anything that Roy did that was terribly wrong here. I supposed he should have quit throwing punches a bit earlier, it was clear pretty eary on in that scrap who the victor was going to be. Still, he threw less punches at his prone opponent that Dan Cloutier (invited to camp this year by only one NHL team, our own classy Detroit Red wings) did. What's the big deal, it's hockey. If you don't like having your goalie get beat up, send someone after Roy next time. It was a blow-out game, gotta give your fans something to cheer for.
"It was pretty interesting," said Detroit coach Mike Babcock. "We had May in exhibition for a couple of games and no one gets hacked or whacked. When we don't have him, we get run. We don't have a team that twists off helmets at stoppages. You get tired of seeing it all the time. It's just nice when you get someone to look after that stuff."

#8 micah

micah

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:01 PM

QUOTE (RedWingAbner @ September 8, 2009 - 12:45PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you saying you think Jonathan Roy will be one of the greatest goalies ever to live? I disagree.
"It was pretty interesting," said Detroit coach Mike Babcock. "We had May in exhibition for a couple of games and no one gets hacked or whacked. When we don't have him, we get run. We don't have a team that twists off helmets at stoppages. You get tired of seeing it all the time. It's just nice when you get someone to look after that stuff."

#9 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE (micah @ September 8, 2009 - 04:00PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Was the other goalie's last name "Ghandi"? Who on earth just stands there, gear on, hands at your sides when you have 30 seconds notice that another man wants to fight you? I can't see anything that Roy did that was terribly wrong here. I supposed he should have quit throwing punches a bit earlier, it was clear pretty eary on in that scrap who the victor was going to be. Still, he threw less punches at his prone opponent that Dan Cloutier (invited to camp this year by only one NHL team, our own classy Detroit Red wings) did. What's the big deal, it's hockey. If you don't like having your goalie get beat up, send someone after Roy next time. It was a blow-out game, gotta give your fans something to cheer for.

In hockey you can not force someone to fight. Roy should have realized that the other goalie would not fight back. When things like this happen in hockey there is normally a reason, Roy had no rational reason to need to fight the other goalie. At least Patty did it because he was defending his teammates from Vernon, and Ozzy nearly invited Roy to fight in 98. That is like someone skating over and attacking Ozzy. Do you think that it would be Osgoods fault for not fighting back? Johnathan is a disgrace to the sport, that is very poor sportsmanship. He should have realized the other guy was not going to fight when the ref grabbed him.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:53 PM

The only thing that would help out Roy is if this goalie did something earlier to call for having his ass beat. Considering I don't really know the whole story, i'll just say it looked like Roy wanted to go with someone and he went off on a undeserving person. I'm all for fighting when there is something on the line and means something IE. paybacks, past memories. But, fighting just for fighting doesn't really do it for me. Roy deserves whatever he gets.

#11 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:16 PM

QUOTE (micah @ September 8, 2009 - 03:00PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not compareable, its a moot point. Clouts went after a goalie that was already fighting and as the third man in, no less. Wah went after a goalie that obviously did not want to partake of the joyous Quebecois tradition. Not even close.

But yes, Clouts can throw the hammers like a mad man.

Edited by T.Low, 08 September 2009 - 04:22 PM.

#12 pirateasaurus

pirateasaurus

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE (micah @ September 8, 2009 - 04:00PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For someone who i have noticed really focuses the fighting aspect of the sport, you clearly don't really know what you are talking about.

#13 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,076 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE (T.Low @ September 8, 2009 - 04:16PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not compareable, its a moot point. Clouts went after a goalie that was already fighting (and Salo was the third man in, no less), already in the thick of things. Wah went after a goalie that obviously did not want to partake of the joyous Quebecois tradition. Not even close.

But yes, Clouts can throw the hammers like a mad man.

Damn. I wish that Cloutier played for us. unsure.gif
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#14 NGKEIB

NGKEIB

eltit rebmem motsuC

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE (GMRwings1983 @ September 8, 2009 - 09:22PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Damn. I wish that Cloutier played for us. unsure.gif

Hah. Are you a stupid dreamer? The Wings would never invite a guy like that to training camp...
"Summa pia gratia nostra conservando corpora et custodita, de gente fera Normannica nos libera, quae nostra vastat, Deus, regna."

#15 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,076 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:52 PM

QUOTE (NGKEIB @ September 8, 2009 - 04:46PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hah. Are you a stupid dreamer? The Wings would never invite a guy like that to training camp...

I know, but imagine if they did. We'd have some muscle in the lineup, finally.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#16 NGKEIB

NGKEIB

eltit rebmem motsuC

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE (GMRwings1983 @ September 8, 2009 - 09:52PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know, but imagine if they did. We'd have some muscle in the lineup, finally.

He could be a new Derek Meech-type player! Meecher is a part-time forward, part-time defenseman. Cloutier could be part time bench-warmer, part-time winger/enforcer.
"Summa pia gratia nostra conservando corpora et custodita, de gente fera Normannica nos libera, quae nostra vastat, Deus, regna."

#17 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,228 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:58 PM

Cloutier for captain!

#18 micah

micah

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:58 PM

QUOTE (cjm502 @ September 8, 2009 - 03:30PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In hockey you can not force someone to fight.

Sure you can. Darren McCarty did to Claude Lemieux.

Petit did not want to fight Probert (the 2nd time they went), but Probert made it clear that a fight was coming regardless weather Petit wanted it or not. At least Petit was smart enough to drop his gear and *try* to defend himself - Roy's opponent just stood there, watching Jonathan skate at him with ill intent.

I don't think Johnny Roy was in the right to force a fight on a non-willing opponent, but it's hockey. He didn't jump him, he made his intentions clear. Roy deserved 2 for instigating and a game misconduct, not legal trouble.

Edited by micah, 08 September 2009 - 05:03 PM.

#19 micah

micah

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE (pirateasaurus @ September 8, 2009 - 04:22PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For someone who i have noticed really focuses the fighting aspect of the sport, you clearly don't really know what you are talking about.

What specific part of my post do you disagree with? I think that when a man intends to attack you and makes his intentions clear, you ought to, you know, prepare to defend yourself. I don't have much sympathy for those who bury their heads in the sand. Roy is guilty of instigating a hockey fight durring a linebrawl. The penalty for that ought be discussed by the referee, not a judge.

#20 NGKEIB

NGKEIB

eltit rebmem motsuC

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:04 PM

QUOTE (micah @ September 8, 2009 - 09:58PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sure you can. Darren McCarty did to Claude Lemieux.

Petit did not want to fight Probert (the 2nd time they went), but Probert made it clear that a fight was coming regardless weather Petit wanted it or not. At least Petit was smart enough to drop his gear and *try* to defend himself - Roy's opponent just stood there, watching Jonathan skate at him with ill intent.

I don't think Johnny Roy was in the right to force a fight on a non-willing opponent, but it's hockey. He didn't jump him, he made his intentions clear. Roy deserved 2 for instigating and a game misconduct, not legal trouble.

I think one could make the argument that there was much more of a story behind the Lemieux-McCarty incident, though I will admit that I don't know if anything went on between Roy and the other guy.