• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ManLuv4Clears

Jonathan Roy faces assault charge

Rate this topic

I can't say that I agree with charges being brought up so long after the fact.

Roy (father and son) are crazy. We've known that for a while. What hasn't been mentioned in this thread is that from another camera angle you can see Patrick egging his son on to fight. When your dad will probably beat you at home if you don't fight, I don't know how much I can blame the son.

Throw them both out of hockey, end of story.

I never, ever said I don't see anything wrong with John Roy's actions. I said I don't see what the big deal is, this sort of thing happens all the time, it always has. Fighting someone who isn't prepared to and willing to fight back, whether you're McCarty or John Roy, is wrong. I don't think it warrants police involvement though.

Errrr....yes you did. From the first of your posts in this thread: "Was the other goalie's last name "Ghandi"? Who on earth just stands there, gear on, hands at your sides when you have 30 seconds notice that another man wants to fight you? I can't see anything that Roy did that was terribly wrong here."

There have been numerous occasions when things that I don't agree with have happened. I was giving my oppinion, and I stand by it. There are sufficient penalties for fighting in hockey. No good comes from lawsuits or citations for simple on-ice fights.

That's good you stand by your opinion, because if you didn't, then no one else would. To call this a "simple on-ice fight" is completely asinine.

If you're parents raised you to ignore an angry guy coming at you with the clear intent of fighting you, your parents are dumb.

Why? My parents did raise me to do that exact thing, and I am now a third degree black-belt in Brazilian Jui-Jitsu thank you very much. I was raised not to fight under any circumstance, but I was taught to defend myself. I can garauntee my parents are substantially more intellectual than your parents, so by your standards if my parents are dumb, what does that make your parents. To bring family into this is completely uncalled for and I hope you never do it again as it only detracts from any argument you may have with your ad hominem.

Had the other goalie dropped his gloves and simply done his best to tie JR up and not get pummled, he probably wouldn't have been pummeled. When you stand still and let yourself get smoked...well, that's gonna hurt. You oughta at least *try* to protect yourself, right? IF that were the case, Johny Roy did the other kid a big favor - it is a cruel world and if that kid thinks he'll get by without ever being willing to defend himself, he'll either live in a very small and very safe box, or he'll be eaten alive.

Again, this is a huge fallacy! Using an A-Typical sample size to support your conclusion is not a good thing to do. Plus, this is a horrible analogy as well. It amazes me you can liken a hockey fight in Junior A to real life outside of hockey. I can cite hundreds of examples throughout history where a historical icon shied away from confrontations and didn't get eaten alive. Just because this goalie didn't defend himself on the ice, doesn't mean he shies away from moral injustices. Without going into much detail both my parents had a hard life growing up and they never once defended themselves in a physical fight and now guess what, they are more successful than 90%+ of any sampling of people you can find (monetary and quality of life).

I had zero intention of responding to this, but after you brought up my parents I really had no choice to do so. You better think twice before you know who you are getting into things with as this goes for Roy Jr. and yourself. Have a good day.

Guest micah
Errrr....yes you did. From the first of your posts in this thread: "Was the other goalie's last name "Ghandi"? Who on earth just stands there, gear on, hands at your sides when you have 30 seconds notice that another man wants to fight you? I can't see anything that Roy did that was terribly wrong here."

Roy forced a hockey player who did not want to fight into a fight. That's wrong. Not terribly wrong. It's not nice. He deserves 2,5 and a game. Maybe a suspension.

I was raised not to fight under any circumstance, but I was taught to defend myself.

Hmmm. Isn't fighting back and example of defending oneself? Is it somehow morally superior when attacked on a hockey rink to absord blows than to fight back?

I can garauntee my parents are substantially more intellectual than your parents, so by your standards if my parents are dumb, what does that make your parents. To bring family into this is completely uncalled for and I hope you never do it again as it only detracts from any argument you may have with your ad hominem.

LOL "My parents are better than yours!"

My mom is a lowly RN. My dad was a Nuclear Engineer/Instructor/Engineering Director/Staff Physicist depending on where he was working at the time. His employers were the Deprtment of the Navy (including stints instructing at land-based reactors and the Naval surface Warfare Center), Massechusets Institute of Technology, Atomic Energy Committee and he sat on the board of or managed a couple of different commercial nuclear power generating facilities. He was a bright bulb with the maths and such. He made good money. Do you want to compare our Dads' W2s or our W2s? You brought earnings up, I'm willing to play along.

You better think twice before you know who you are getting into things with.

LOL! Is that an e-threat?

Edited by micah

Guest micah
i cant believe people are in here even defending roy, what he did isnt fighting and isnt a part of hockey.

Who's defending him?

As much as J. Roy should be held accountable for this, what about daddy? Here in this video he is clearly seen telling his son to go get the other goalie, and then after the game he is telling reporters that he waive his hand high in the air and told Johnnie "NO!" But clearly it is caight on video he is waiving him down the ice and shaking his head yes. Too bad I don't speak french or I could tell what was being said...

Guest E_S_A_D

Please tell me Konnan511 that you're all schtick? Someone can't possibly be as funny on a forum as this.

Konnan, you mention that you're a third degree black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu? Interesting... where do you practice? What's your origin discipline?

Guest E_S_A_D
they are more successful than 90%+ of any sampling of people you can find (monetary and quality of life).

I had zero intention of responding to this, but after you brought up my parents I really had no choice to do so. You better think twice before you know who you are getting into things with

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Edited by E_S_A_D

Guest micah
while we're at it, check out his OTHER son Frederick with his nice cross check! WHat is in the Roy's DNA?

I'm pretty shure that was Dave Brown's kid. Roy's wife got around.

The Roy's are Dicks!

In my head I hear this being said in Ricky's voice from Trailer Park Boys.

I'm sorry, but I just can't take someone seriously when one day they're trying to kill their opponent, and the next they're trying to be John Mayer.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

tehehehehe

I think this is all just Papa Roy trying to make up for the fact that he was beat up by two goalie half his size. He's just living vicariously through his children.

I'm sorry, but I just can't take someone seriously when one day they're trying to kill their opponent, and the next they're trying to be John Mayer.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

tehehehehe

I think this is all just Papa Roy trying to make up for the fact that he was beat up by two goalie half his size. He's just living vicariously through his children.

I think Roy should be punished, but not by the courts. I hate it when the courts (of either the US or Canada) get involved.

Suspension? Yes. Legal wrangling? No.

Hopefully he gets kicked out of hockey and ends up as a cabbie in Buffalo.

This.

Won't happen. Daddy is in the hall and 2nd to the queen up there. Queen Crosby that is. He could however, end up as the manager of his father's sports memorabilia shop, which would I guess be equally disappointing for him.

so...anyone know what became of the assault charges?

From CBC :

Jonathan Roy, the son of former Montreal Canadiens goalie Patrick Roy, has received an absolute discharge after pleading guilty Wednesday to assaulting an opponent in a junior hockey match.

Jonathan Roy will donate $5,000 to five local charitable organizations and will not have a criminal record.

Plus, the recording contract.