• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ManLuv4Clears

Jonathan Roy faces assault charge

Rate this topic

ESPN Link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4454887

And the video for reminders:

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> &">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> &" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Discuss...

Guest micah

Was the other goalie's last name "Ghandi"? Who on earth just stands there, gear on, hands at your sides when you have 30 seconds notice that another man wants to fight you? I can't see anything that Roy did that was terribly wrong here. I supposed he should have quit throwing punches a bit earlier, it was clear pretty eary on in that scrap who the victor was going to be. Still, he threw less punches at his prone opponent that Dan Cloutier (invited to camp this year by only one NHL team, our own classy Detroit Red wings) did. What's the big deal, it's hockey. If you don't like having your goalie get beat up, send someone after Roy next time. It was a blow-out game, gotta give your fans something to cheer for.

Guest micah
If an apple drops, how far from the tree does it fall?

Are you saying you think Jonathan Roy will be one of the greatest goalies ever to live? I disagree.

Was the other goalie's last name "Ghandi"? Who on earth just stands there, gear on, hands at your sides when you have 30 seconds notice that another man wants to fight you? I can't see anything that Roy did that was terribly wrong here. I supposed he should have quit throwing punches a bit earlier, it was clear pretty eary on in that scrap who the victor was going to be. Still, he threw less punches at his prone opponent that Dan Cloutier (invited to camp this year by only one NHL team, our own classy Detroit Red wings) did. What's the big deal, it's hockey. If you don't like having your goalie get beat up, send someone after Roy next time. It was a blow-out game, gotta give your fans something to cheer for.

In hockey you can not force someone to fight. Roy should have realized that the other goalie would not fight back. When things like this happen in hockey there is normally a reason, Roy had no rational reason to need to fight the other goalie. At least Patty did it because he was defending his teammates from Vernon, and Ozzy nearly invited Roy to fight in 98. That is like someone skating over and attacking Ozzy. Do you think that it would be Osgoods fault for not fighting back? Johnathan is a disgrace to the sport, that is very poor sportsmanship. He should have realized the other guy was not going to fight when the ref grabbed him.

The only thing that would help out Roy is if this goalie did something earlier to call for having his ass beat. Considering I don't really know the whole story, i'll just say it looked like Roy wanted to go with someone and he went off on a undeserving person. I'm all for fighting when there is something on the line and means something IE. paybacks, past memories. But, fighting just for fighting doesn't really do it for me. Roy deserves whatever he gets.

Not compareable, its a moot point. Clouts went after a goalie that was already fighting and as the third man in, no less. Wah went after a goalie that obviously did not want to partake of the joyous Quebecois tradition. Not even close.

But yes, Clouts can throw the hammers like a mad man.

Edited by T.Low

For someone who i have noticed really focuses the fighting aspect of the sport, you clearly don't really know what you are talking about.

Not compareable, its a moot point. Clouts went after a goalie that was already fighting (and Salo was the third man in, no less), already in the thick of things. Wah went after a goalie that obviously did not want to partake of the joyous Quebecois tradition. Not even close.

But yes, Clouts can throw the hammers like a mad man.

Damn. I wish that Cloutier played for us. :unsure:

I know, but imagine if they did. We'd have some muscle in the lineup, finally.

He could be a new Derek Meech-type player! Meecher is a part-time forward, part-time defenseman. Cloutier could be part time bench-warmer, part-time winger/enforcer.

Guest micah
In hockey you can not force someone to fight.

Sure you can. Darren McCarty did to Claude Lemieux.

Petit did not want to fight Probert (the 2nd time they went), but Probert made it clear that a fight was coming regardless weather Petit wanted it or not. At least Petit was smart enough to drop his gear and *try* to defend himself - Roy's opponent just stood there, watching Jonathan skate at him with ill intent.

I don't think Johnny Roy was in the right to force a fight on a non-willing opponent, but it's hockey. He didn't jump him, he made his intentions clear. Roy deserved 2 for instigating and a game misconduct, not legal trouble.

Edited by micah

Guest micah
For someone who i have noticed really focuses the fighting aspect of the sport, you clearly don't really know what you are talking about.

What specific part of my post do you disagree with? I think that when a man intends to attack you and makes his intentions clear, you ought to, you know, prepare to defend yourself. I don't have much sympathy for those who bury their heads in the sand. Roy is guilty of instigating a hockey fight durring a linebrawl. The penalty for that ought be discussed by the referee, not a judge.

Petit did not want to fight Probert (the 2nd time they went), but Probert made it clear that a fight was coming regardless weather Petit wanted it or not. At least Petit was smart enough to drop his gear and *try* to defend himself - Roy's opponent just stood there, watching Jonathan skate at him with ill intent.

I don't think Johnny Roy was in the right to force a fight on a non-willing opponent, but it's hockey. He didn't jump him, he made his intentions clear. Roy deserved 2 for instigating and a game misconduct, not legal trouble.

I think one could make the argument that there was much more of a story behind the Lemieux-McCarty incident, though I will admit that I don't know if anything went on between Roy and the other guy.

maybe the other goalie shouldnt be a *****. i mean its not like he blind sided him he knew it was comming. there should be NO charges. im watchin the game i love be turned into a ***** sport. what happend to the good ole days. ide give my life to be able to see the game like it was in the early 90's

I think if you challenge someone to a fight and they clearly give off signs that they don't want to, that should be the end of it. You want to fight, he doesn't. Okay then, there's no fight. Choosing to then go after the guy anyway just makes you look like a dick. I'm all for fighting in hockey provided both parties want to actually fight each other. Otherwise it looks stupid.

I think if you challenge someone to a fight and they clearly give off signs that they don't want to, that should be the end of it. You want to fight, he doesn't. Okay then, there's no fight. Choosing to then go after the guy anyway just makes you look like a dick. I'm all for fighting in hockey provided both parties want to actually fight each other. Otherwise it looks stupid.

Nicely put. Some people just cant grasp the concept.

Way to slant the argument. How about quoting the entire post, not a sentence.

Guest micah
Way to slant the argument. How about quoting the entire post, not a sentence.

Because your entire post was based on the opening premise - that in hockey you cannot force someone to fight. That's incorrect. Players can and do force others to fight. I wish all hockey fights were straight-up fights where both combatants square-off and drop their gear. Sometimes though, like with McCarty v. Lemieux round 1, one player jumps the other. Maybe the other should have seeen it coming, but stiil, an unfair fight - no matter what the reason was for the fight. Sometimes, like in Johnny Roy v, noname goalie, one player wants a fight and the other refuses. I would have preferred that Roy merely taunted his opponont for being the only player on the ice at that time unwilling to have a little old fashioned fun. Roy could have simply done the chicken dance or something to taunt the other goalie. He fought a guy who didn't want to fight back - that's a clear instigator penalty. It is not cause for legal follow-up.

Edited by micah