• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
crazy13

Four ways Detroit can replace lost goals

Rate this topic

The Detroit Red Wings didn't make any splashy free-agent signings or major trades to replace guys like Marian Hossa and Jiri Hudler. And that's meant with all due respect to new additions Todd Bertuzzi, Patrick Eaves and Jason Williams.

But expectations haven't lowered in Detroit. The Red Wings expect another Stanley Cup contending team, despite the departing offense. Here's how they can replace those lost goals:

1. More from Hank: Marian Hossa's 40-goal season and a trip to the Stanley Cup finals overshadowed a quiet offensive season from Henrik Zetterberg. One of the best two-way players in the game, Zetterberg isn't a pure goal-scorer, but his 31 goals in 2008-09 were his lowest total since his second season. If he can return to the 43 goals he scored two years ago, that's an extra dozen goals for the Red Wings this season. "I haven't seen Henrik, I know he's skating in Detroit. Our trainers have seen him and said he's in great shape," Detroit G.M. Ken Holland told Sporting News. "A couple people tell me that they've talked to him and he feels he's a little more physically fit this year than last year."

2. The new guys: Holland said the team is looking for about 15-to-20 goals from Bertuzzi and Williams, but the wild card could be Patrick Eaves. Holland got him on the cheap, signing Eaves to a one-year contract worth $500,000 after the Bruins bought him out. He was the 29th overall pick in the 2003 draft by Ottawa and scored 20 goals in 58 games for the Senators his rookie season. Since then, he has fallen well short of expectations, scoring six times in 74 games for the Hurricanes last season. "His career hasn't gone the way he wanted," Holland said. "We're hoping in Detroit, he gets back to where he was two or three years ago."

3. The development of youth: With guys like Chris Osgood and Nicklas Lidstrom around, the Red Wings are considered a veteran team. But there's plenty of young talent ready to make a jump, given the opportunity. Justin Abdelkader and Darren Helm both showed in the playoffs they're capable of producing at the NHL level, and the club has high hopes for the skilled Ville Leino. Valtteri Filppula also said he'd embrace more offensive expectations and responsibility. "The bigger role you have, the more fun it is," he said. "I'm definitely going to do my best to get the biggest role possible."

4. Will it matter? Once training camp opens next week, the Red Wings will hear a lot about the importance of playing better team defense this season. Holland saw a lack of focus during the regular season, which can't be repeated if the Wings want to hold off rising teams like the Blackhawks and Blues in their division. "We were getting away with playing 40 minutes out of a hockey game," Holland said. "I thought we were sloppy a lot of nights but we had the ability to score and outscore mistakes." The Red Wings allowed 60 more regular-season goals last season than the Detroit team that won the Stanley Cup two years ago. A return to the defensively sound Red Wings from two years ago is more important than trying to match last season's offense.

4. Will it matter?

Good question.

In the end, you do what you have to in order to win.

I'm not sure if the league wants to emphasize offense more and more and become like the NBA. But it's important to know what wins games.