Larsson

Cloutier (tryout)

Whitley (tryout)

This could imply that the forward combos to start the year will be:

Franzen-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Bertuzzi-Zetterberg-Cleary

Leino-Filppula-Williams

Draper-Helm-Eaves

I really liked the Datsyuk line during last year's regular season. I thought that was probably the hottest line last January.

The Zetterberg line is also a good idea I think but only if Bert can be dependable. I've always thought that Zetterberg needs someone on his line to set him up for goals. Bert could do that but only if he's dependable.

Filppula as the third line center is disappointing to me. Overall though his line is very decent.

I like the 4th line. Helm and Eaves together is a good idea.

I don't think they're going to split them up like that for the season, they're just doing that to have 1 good first line center on each team.

Yeah I hope so. Or if they do that Filppula and Cleary stay within the top six.

i like those lines except i would switch dats and zets beacuse I think dats will have great chem with bert and zets with the mule with be great aswell

Bertuzzi, Datsyuk, Cleary

Franzen, Zetterberg, Holmstrom

Leino, Filppula, Williams

Helm, Draper, Eaves

we are going to be in good shape this year boys

Helm, Draper, Eaves just may be the best fourth line in the league...... AND THE FASTEST LINE! Maybe now the Wings will be able to cut Z's minutes down slightly and REALLY roll four lines.

I have said all along that Babcock would split up Datsyuk and Zetterberg. With this team the Wings simply can not put their best players all on one line.... especially on the road... other teams would just key on them and the second and third line would have a lot to prove.

Edited by Icesurfer

Helm, Draper, Eaves just may be the best fourth line in the league...... AND THE FASTEST LINE! Maybe now the Wings will be able to cut Z's minutes down slightly and REALLY roll four lines.

I have said all along that Babcock would split up Datsyuk and Zetterberg. With this team the Wings simply can not put their best players all on one line.... especially on the road... other teams would just key on them and the second and third line would have a lot to prove.

Other teams already key in on them when they're together and they're still successful. The Wings are deep enough offensively to keep Dats and Zetts together. They're like peanut butter and jelly.

I agree about the fourth line though. :thumbup:

esteef

Other teams already key in on them when they're together and they're still successful. The Wings are deep enough offensively to keep Dats and Zetts together. They're like peanut butter and jelly.

I agree about the fourth line though. :thumbup:

esteef

Another reason for splitting them up is that someone like Franzen will offer protection to Datsyuk and someone like Bertuzzi will offer protection to Zetterberg. How many times last year was Zetterberg checked really hard into the boards and there was NO retribution!!!! I remember a hit Zertterberg took behind the net and was checked hard into the boards and hurt his back.... NO RETRIBUTION!. Enough of that crap.... especially if Z hurts his back again!

Another reason is that if those lines (a Z line and a Dats line) go back to back there is NO WAY the opposing team will have their best checkers out there for a minute and a half. It provides greater depth overall making the 3rd line and 4th lines even BETTER and more difficlut for the other teams to match up and keep up with the Wings.

If you put Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Homer on the same line you might as well put an "X" on their back and say "hit me".... it's free of charge. I am not saying it won't be done... because it will, especially later in the game at home when the Wings are down and need a score. I think this year Babcock will do more shuffling of the lines than any other year since he has been here.

The fourth reason is that we ALL know that both Datsyuk and Zetterberg make their linesmates even better players. I would love to see Eaves, Helm and Leino all get a chance with the both of them.... they could learn a lot.

The fifth reason is that I think Homer is washed up anyway and may end up on the 3rd or 4th line.

The sixth reason is that injuries always occur so we WILL see other players get a chance with both of them anyway and someone just may gel even better than "jelly and jam". You don't know until you try.

In order words there are more good reasons to split them up than to keep them together forever.

I probably could think of even more reasons... give me a few seconds...LOL

OK... got another one...LOL.... the seventh reason is that Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Homer will be together on the power play and that is where they score most of their goals together anyway!!

LOL.... got another one.... the eight reason is that defense and goaltending win championships. Both Datsyuk and Zetterberg, as we ALL know, are VERY good defenders and back-checkers..... having one on each of the first two lines is dynamite... because most teams have only 2 good lines.

Edited by Icesurfer

i like those lines except i would switch dats and zets beacuse I think dats will have great chem with bert and zets with the mule with be great aswell

Bertuzzi, Datsyuk, Cleary

Franzen, Zetterberg, Holmstrom

Leino, Filppula, Williams

Helm, Draper, Eaves

we are going to be in good shape this year boys

I like these lines, except I think Bertuzzi should play with Leino, they seem alike and I think they would have good chemistry. Z and the Mule together is obviously great as we saw last year, and move Filpulla up to take Bert's spot on the Dats line. I'd switch Cleary and Holmstrom too I think, but that's not a big deal.

Another reason for splitting them up is that someone like Franzen will offer protection to Datsyuk and someone like Bertuzzi will offer protection to Zetterberg. How many times last year was Zetterberg checked really hard into the boards and there was NO retribution!!!! I remember a hit Zertterberg took behind the net and was checked hard into the boards and hurt his back.... NO RETRIBUTION!. Enough of that crap.... especially if Z hurts his back again!

Another reason is that if those lines (a Z line and a Dats line) go back to back there is NO WAY the opposing team will have their best checkers out there for a minute and a half. It provides greater depth overall making the 3rd line and 4th lines even BETTER and more difficlut for the other teams to match up and keep up with the Wings.

If you put Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Homer on the same line you might as well put an "X" on their back and say "hit me".... it's free of charge. I am not saying it won't be done... because it will, especially later in the game at home when the Wings are down and need a score. I think this year Babcock will do more shuffling of the lines than any other year since he has been here.

The fourth reason is that we ALL know that both Datsyuk and Zetterberg make their linesmates even better players. I would love to see Eaves, Helm and Leino all get a chance with the both of them.... they could learn a lot.

The fifth reason is that I think Homer is washed up anyway and may end up on the 3rd or 4th line.

The sixth reason is that injuries always occur so we WILL see other players get a chance with both of them anyway and someone just may gel even better than "jelly and jam". You don't know until you try.

In order words there are more good reasons to split them up than to keep them together forever.

I probably could think of even more reasons... give me a few seconds...LOL

OK... got another one...LOL.... the seventh reason is that Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Homer will be together on the power play and that is where they score most of their goals together anyway!!

LOL.... got another one.... the eight reason is that defense and goaltending win championships. Both Datsyuk and Zetterberg, as we ALL know, are VERY good defenders and back-checkers..... having one on each of the first two lines is dynamite... because most teams have only 2 good lines.

The chemistry D and Z have trumps all of that. They are the best 2-way combo in the league (f*** you Crosby and Malkin!). But I would be fine with swapping someone out for Homer, say Bert or Franzen or Cleary for that net presence.

esteef

Edited by esteef

Zetterberg Datsyuk Cleary

Franzen Filppula Bertuzzi

Leino Williams Holmstrom

Helm Drapes Eaves

Those are the best lines IMO. This past season should have shown that the Zetterberg and Datsyuk splitting experience needs to be put to rest permanently.

That 3rd line would be screwed defensively!

That 3rd line would be screwed defensively!

Agreed... Although I don't know too much about Leino's defensive capability, I know Williams and Holmstrom are pure offensive minded.

Guest mindfly
Agreed... Although I don't know too much about Leino's defensive capability, I know Williams and Holmstrom are pure offensive minded.

A small & soft euro, says it all.

Zetterberg Datsyuk Cleary

Franzen Filppula Bertuzzi

Leino Williams Holmstrom

Helm Drapes Eaves

Those are the best lines IMO. This past season should have shown that the Zetterberg and Datsyuk splitting experience needs to be put to rest permanently.

I agree except swap Helm and Homer. That third line is a defensive disaster and Williams should really not be playing center in the NHL, especially with the Red Wings. I don't really know what to do with Homer -- if healthy I think he should get a shot with Z and Pav -- but I think ultimately Cleary deserves that spot.

Datsyuk - Z - Cleary

Franzen - Filppula - Bertuzzi

Leino - Helm - Williams

Holmstrom - Draper - Eaves

The fourth line is pretty rough, not sure exactly what they provide. Maybe Draper and Eaves can skate around real fast and get the defense dizzy.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Leino-Filppula-Williams

Draper-Helm-Eaves

I really liked the Datsyuk line during last year's regular season. I thought that was probably the hottest line last January.

The Zetterberg line is also a good idea I think but only if Bert can be dependable. I've always thought that Zetterberg needs someone on his line to set him up for goals. Bert could do that but only if he's dependable.

Filppula as the third line center is disappointing to me. Overall though his line is very decent.

What was the "Datsyuk line" last year?

Hossa played comparable time with both Z and Dats last year. Therefore, there wasn't a "Datsyuk line", just Datsyuk.

I think depth chart and position experience are much more important things to debate than the lines we'll see at the start of games.

Babcock will forever keep us and the competition guessing what they will play against.

I really hope they go back to Zetterberg and Datsyuk on the same line and promote Filppula to second line center. Much better to have Val and Cleary both taking up top six minutes than Bertuzzi or Holmstrom. Same goes for Leino for that matter.

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Cleary

Franzen-Filppula-Leino

Bertuzzi-Helm-Williams

Eaves-Draper-Holmstrom

Leino-Filppula-Williams

Draper-Helm-Eaves

Yikes! If Team Howe isn't getting one of the top two forwards they could've at least been given Lidstrom! Kind of weird that they put Lids and Zetterberg on the same team... I'd have thought they'd put the top three players on different teams for balance.

As far as Filppula on the third line goes-- well if Zetterberg and Datsyuk are centring the 1st and 2nd lines where else do you put Filppula? He's too good of a centre to put on the wing all year-- they need his face-off skill and defensive presence as a centre.