• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

b.shanafan14

Red Wings Training Camp Notes

Rate this topic

Just quick update from training camp. Leino and Filppula line is impressing. Williams tabbed as pointman opposite Kronwall on the 2nd PP unit. Howard struggling :unsure: .

TRAVERSE CITY -- A few notes from the first day of Red Wings' training camp at Centre I.C.E.

-- Coach Mike Babcock said right wing Jason Williams, as expected, will fill Mikael Samuelsson's spot at the point on the second power-play unit, alongside Niklas Kronwall.

"It's a spot I'm familiar with, but it's not just going to be handed to me,'' Williams said. "It's something we (he and Kronwall) work on throughout camp and in the exhibition games and try to get familiar with each other and what the tendencies are.''

-- Ville Leino's line, with Williams and Valtteri Filppula, excelled in leading Team Howe past Team Delvecchio 5-4 in the scrimmage. Leino had two goals and two assists, Filppula had a goal and two assists and Williams added a goal and an assist.

"Imagine if that's our third line, that's a pretty good third line,'' Babcock said. "It's probably no different than (Jiri) Hudler and (Mikael) Samuelsson with Williams.''

-- General manager Ken Holland confirmed that defenseman Andreas Lilja will start the season on long-term injured reserve. Lilja, who hasn't been cleared for contact due to headaches and concussion-like symptoms, isn't even allowed to skate with the team in practices. Lilja said he hopes to skate on his own Monday.

Lilja on IR puts the Wings under the salary cap, so there's no need to trade a defenseman for the time being.

-- Henrik Zetterberg, who's been bothered by a sore groin, scored two goals for Team Delvecchio.

-- Rough start for goaltender Jimmy Howard, who gave up three goals on 15 shots.

-- Jeremy Williams (goal, assist) and Mattias Ritola (two assists) also had multiple points.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/20...point_duty.html

In agreement about Leino/Flip. They looked great. Howard did struggle and let in some very weak goals. Thought Homer looked great. He's lost weight and I thought he was skating stronger. Not a Williams fan at all but I have to say that I thought he also looked good. Pleased to see Leino skate so hard to the net. Looking forward to practice tomorrow afternoon.

Sad to see Lilija standing at the glass in street clothes watching them practice.

As much as I would want Zetterberg and Datsyuk to be on the same line and for Filppula to take a step up and center the 2nd line, a 3rd line of Leino, Fil and Williams IS pretty damn good. The Finnish Connection could create some magic, glad to hear they had a good start of camp.

And those pics make me SO damn excited that hockey season is slowly starting up again. Less than 3 weeks until the season opener!

Edited by dat's sick

Just quick update from training camp. Leino and Filppula line is impressing. Williams tabbed as pointman opposite Kronwall on the 2nd PP unit. Howard struggling :unsure: .

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/20...point_duty.html

I'm not terribly surprised that Leino and Filppula have chemistry :) Leino is a finisher who loves going to the net and Filppula plays best with someone who can take the puck from him and use it creatively. Plus there's something to be said for them both being Finnish guys around the same age-- perhaps sharing a native tongue is an advantage?

The only problem is Williams-- no way he bumps Franzen off the second line. Hopefully Franzen can slot in there without disturbing the chemistry too much... otherwise Babs might put Leino-Filppula-Williams on the third and split Zetterberg and Datsyuk into two lines again.

I love this time of year.

Usually I hate this time of year, because its like seeing presents you're getting two Christmas from now. All these wonderful, shiny new toys that are still developing :P At least this year we finally get Ericsson, Helm, and Leino

Usually I hate this time of year, because its like seeing presents you're getting two Christmas from now. All these wonderful, shiny new toys that are still developing :P At least this year we finally get Ericsson, Helm, and Leino

I guess Williams, Draper, Maltby are the socks, fruitcake, and some other crappy gift :).

well i thought howard looked sharp in practice, and ok in the scrimmage...didnt wow anyone though.

1 goal was a breakaway and the other a 2 on 0 though. dont remember the 3rd.

also bert, albeit not moving much faster than last year, looked to be in pretty good shape...at least to me.

Edited by jflo14

In practice he looked alright, I mean the intensity was the equivalent of a pregame skate/shootaround.

When it got to the scrimmage he stopped 12 out of 15. I don't remember a 2 on 0 being one of the goals but I could be wrong - there was a lot going on and my ADHD was on blast.

It was awesome though - this was my first time at a training camp, and I really wish I could have stayed, but what can ya do.

I guess Williams, Draper, Maltby are the socks, fruitcake, and some other crappy gift :).

Haha more like some crappy gift you gave someone the year before and they unwittingly re-gift it back to you.

Haha more like some crappy gift you gave someone the year before and they unwittingly re-gift it back to you.

This really made me laugh for some reason. If you threw this, :unsure:, in here at the very end I probably would have laughed really hard out loud.

Guest Four

I just saw that photo of Cloutier and went to the second page here and though it was funny too, and ironic that I would stumble upon it here.

I just saw that photo of Cloutier and went to the second page here and though it was funny too, and ironic that I would stumble upon it here.

Haha I immediately thought to myself that LGW is gonna have a field day with this one.