• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Drake_Marcus

Tatar guns for spot with Griffins

Rate this topic

Article courtesy of www.redwingscentral.com :

By Sarah Lindenau - RedWingsCentral.com / September 15, 2009

Tomas Tatar hopes to make the Detroit Red Wings think twice about where he plays this season.

The 18-year-old winger has a contract with Zvolen of the Slovak ExtraLiga but would prefer to play in North America. Although his Canadian Hockey League rights belong to the Plymouth Whalers, Tatar's sights are set on being signed and playing with the American Hockey League's Grand Rapids Griffins.

"If I play in Grand Rapids, it would be a big step in my hockey career," he said. "I want to play there because I play against men in Slovakia. I think it's the best choice."

Tatar, selected 60th overall in June's draft, had another strong outing for Team Lindsay in Red Wings intra-squad action in Traverse City on Monday. Skating on a line with Griffins standout Francis Pare and tryout Willie Coetzee, the 5-foot-11 sparkplug scored a goal and an assist in a 4-1 win over Team Howe.

The Red Wings may let Tatar show his stuff in an exhibition game, but their preference is for him to return to junior and play a starring role.

"Tatar's a good junior kid," said Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock. "I don't know if we are going to play him in the American League or in junior, but he probably should play in junior and really light it up. He's got a real nose for the net."

ROUNDUP: Francis Pare had a goal and an assist for Team Lindsay, while Johan Franzen and Landon Ferraro had singles. Chris Osgood (10 shots, 10 saves) and Thomas McCollum (10 shots, nine saves) shared the win in goal.

Stephen Johnston scored the lone goal for Team Howe, while Dan Cloutier (20 shots, 18 saves) and Chris Whitley (13 shots, 11 saves) manned the crease.

CUTS MADE: The Red Wings made their first round of cuts on Monday, sending away prospects Ferraro, Johnston, Brent Raedeke, Mitchell Callahan, Andrej Nestrasil, Gleason Fournier and Brian Lashoff. They also cut free-agent tryouts Austin Fyten, Willie Coetzee and Chris Whitley.

HELM DOWN: Darren Helm injured his shoulder during the first period on Monday. The 6-foot, 182-pound forward got caught up in defenseman Logan Pyett's stick and went head-first into the end boards. Helm, who had his arm in a sling after the scrimmage, is expected to miss two-to-four weeks.

"We are more fortunate it isn't worse than it was," Babcock said. "It is more opportunity for someone else during exhibition."

PROSPECTS IMPRESS: Babcock believes the future looks bright for the Red Wings and commended the play of Tatar and Ferraro.

"I thought the Ferraro kid had a good rookie camp," Babcock said. "He's on his way home now, but he looked good. He's going to play one day."

Babcock also singled out the play of Jakub Kindl and Cory Emmerton.

"Emmerton and Kindl are guys that looked like they have taken a step," he said. "They are starting to look like they might be NHL players one day."

FERRARO SOAKS IT UP: Ferraro has soaked up everything he can at his first NHL training camp.

"I have been waiting 18 years to go to a pro camp," Ferraro said. "Just to watch other players and see how they work and get themselves ready is a thrill. It was obviously a lot of fun."

He got plenty of positive feedback from the Red Wings on cut-down day.

"I had my meeting with Ken Holland and Jim Nill," Ferraro said. "Everyone seemed to be happy so I couldn't be happier right now either."

The Burnaby, B.C., native will return to his Western Hockey League team, the Red Deer Rebels. He scored 37 goals for the Rebels last season and will be counted on to play a key role for the Rebels once again this season.

"It's an important year for us so I want to try and make sure we get off to a good start," Ferraro said. "I am pretty excited to get back and get moving. It's going to be an exciting year in Red Deer."

NOTES: Babcock called the play of Finnish forwards Ville Leino and Valtteri Filppula "fantastic so far" ... Babcock said late free-agent signing Patrick Eaves is going to get "every opportunity" to resurrect his career. "He was a high end player at one time ... Let's get his game back," Babcock said ... Fournier has decided to postpone shoulder surgery until next summer, barring any setbacks.

LINEUP: Lineup for Tuesday's Red and White game:

Franzen/Datsyuk/Holmstrom

Draper/Abdelkader/Eaves

Ritola/Newbury/Mursak

Tatar/Lemeiux/Tardif

Vigilante

Lidstrom/Rafalski

Meech/Kindl

Kolosov/Delmore

Howard/Larsson/Cloutier

Bertuzzi/Zetterberg/Cleary

Leino/Filppula/Ja. Williams

Maltby/Emmerton/Ryno

Pare/McGrath/Je. Williams

Axelsson

Kronwall/Stuart

Lebda/Ericsson

Janik/Piche

Osgood/McCollum/Pearce

I was surprised when Tatar fell so far down in the draft and had a feeling he could be a steal. Still early to say, but in a few years he might be another one of those guys that everyone is wondering why the hell they didn't pick him.

It'll be real interesting to see how Tatar handles the more physical leagues. When he adds some bulk to his 176 pound frame, his nose for the net will become even more prevelant.

Sidenote: When you hear the name "Tatar" does anyone else besides me immediately think this:

tater%20tots.jpg

It'll be real interesting to see how Tatar handles the more physical leagues. When he adds some bulk to his 176 pound frame, his nose for the net will become even more prevelant.

Sidenote: When you hear the name "Tatar" does anyone else besides me immediately think this:

tater%20tots.jpg

More and more I think of:

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

Guest CaliWingsNut
More and more I think of:

:siren::siren::siren::siren:

I think of disgustingly made cheap mayo (canola perhaps?) w/ pickles and some citric acid (made from corn) to balance out the HFCS.

Guest CaliWingsNut
tater%20tots.jpg

When I see "tater tots" I think of potatoes too ugly to sell, likely mixed with corn insoluble fiber, and sprayed with some combination of HFCS and sodium phosphate.

Edited by CaliWingsNut

tater%20tots.jpg

Nope...I think of this:

Ron_White.jpg

I hope he makes it -- usually I never question Holland's MO of taking his time to develop players before bringing them up before they are ready (which has derailed countless NHL potentials) but someon like Tatar should benefit more from being challenged in the AHL, vs. running rampant over the OHL.

I think Grigorenko should have been brought over earlier as well.

I just got back from the 2009 NHL Prospect Tournament and the Detroit Red Wings Training Camp and I think Tatar will get a spot on the Griffins. That kid is Good!!. He moves the puck well and has great hands and his scoring ability makes him a pure threat. I'll be honest he is the guy that impressed me the most throughout the entire Tournament and Training Camp. Tatar is a great player and is developing fantastically already.

Guest CaliWingsNut
Steak "tartare" is more like it. :lol:

I've never had it, though, so I can't speak as to its taste.

:blink:

Try it... It's amazing if done well.

Unless your one of those people who like steaks well done and doesn't know the difference between beef and shoe leather *shudder*

Tomas got the chance to play on the line with Pasha last night and he was good...they clicked. Big time. He's got a great upside, and wherever he plays will be improved with his presence.

I'm torn on where he needs to be...I know for sure he has no business in the OHL...still thinking it is probably best to be back in Slovakia.

Holland stated that he's trying to get him signed to an entry level contract in the next few weeks (they're currently talking). That's actually impressive since they don't have to sign him for a year or more. Signing him this early is intended to give the Wings more control over where he plays this year. Tatar himself recently said he was staying in NA and not returning home after camp. In an article I read yesterday Holland was quoted as saying he wants Tatar to stay in NA, but didn't come right out and say he definitely would. I'm not sure which is more recent info-- I get the impression that the Holland comment was older than Tatar's. At this point the Wings need to sign Tatar so their ownership takes precidence over his contract in Slovakia since Tatar wants to stay in NA and the Wings want that too. Babcock mentioned that he wants Tatar to play in the OHL so he can dominate before going to the AHL.