• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Legendary D In 03

Legendary D In 03

San Diego Wings Fan!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 01:50 PM

Okay, I played NHL 10 for a good 7 hours yesterday and have already alienated a couple of GM's in Be a GM mode. Is anyone else having this problem, too? I've been trying to go by the "Trade Value" bars and match them up, but even then, half the time, I'll get a sarcastic remark back from a GM saying something like, "We here in Boston take trading seriously!" followed by my GM rep going down. Then, when I try trading a veteran with a high overall rating (Mats Sundin is a good example) but with a low Trade Value rating, I hardly get anything in return. On top of all of this, when I'm trying to trade another team the attribute that it's listed that they need for one of their surplus assets, I sometimes get messages saying "We're not looking for any (their need) right now," when the game clearly states that they are. Is this driving anybody else nuts?!??!

WORD,
LDi03

Oh, and pointers would be appreciated.
A complex man drawn off of simplicity.

#2 jmad

jmad

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 03:26 PM

I was able to trade Lebda and Draper for Grier and Jody Shelly. The Sharks came to me with the trade after I turned down several of their other offers. I had Lebda on the trading block and it was during the draft. As soon as the draft was over my trading reputation dropped and it said less teams would be willing to trade with me. A little strange since they came to me. I'd say start with the trading block.

Man is it hard to pass in hardcore mode, eh?

#3 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 11:10 AM

I'm having a hard time getting Kessel from Boston. I've offered close to what Toronto offered Boston for him except the 2nd rounder I through in a player. I've thrown in Mike Modano and two first round picks (one of my own and one I traded for Buffalo's 1st ronder) I got Modano and Morrow for Rafalski and Cleary just after the draft. I traded Morrow to Buffalo for the first round draft pick and now I'm tryin to get Kessel for both my 1st round picks and Modano and it's not working I've tryed Maltby and Draper as well but nothing is working. I have a couple more tricks up my sleeve. I'm thinking about trading for Nikita Filatov than trading him for Kessel but once I get Filatov (which I'm pretty sure that I can) I'm not sure I'm going to want to trade him away. After all Filatov is younger than Kessel and that is pretty much what I'm going for and they are both Snipers so I'm really not sure but yes I'm also having a tough time making bigger trades.

#4 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:23 AM

i would have to think with modano's age, he won't beworth much in that trade. perhaps he is the weak link your the proposal?

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#5 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE (dobbles @ September 28, 2009 - 11:23AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i would have to think with modano's age, he won't beworth much in that trade. perhaps he is the weak link your the proposal?

You are absolutley right. I'm still new to NHL 10 and I wasn't paying attention to the trade value when I traded Rafalski and Cleary for Modano and Morrow. Modano is my weak link in the deal so what I did is signed Jiri Hudler and I traded Hudler and my 1st roud Picks to Boston and got Kessel. Now I'm trying to get Filatov and I've even offered Kessel for him but Columbus is not budging a bit. Maltby Modano at Tanguay are all on my trading Block but I don't think I'm going to get any offers. I attempted to try to get Eric Staal from Carolina and they rejected my offer and came back with a statement saying that they would reject my offer for now but it has given them some Ideas so I may hear from them in 3 or 4 days. Maybe I can work something out. I hate that I traded away my First Round picks but do to my roster size right now I think it will be ok. But yes you were right Modano was my weak link. Thanks.

#6 Four

Four

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE (Dimaline312000 @ September 28, 2009 - 11:44AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You are absolutley right. I'm still new to NHL 10 and I wasn't paying attention to the trade value when I traded Rafalski and Cleary for Modano and Morrow. Modano is my weak link in the deal so what I did is signed Jiri Hudler and I traded Hudler and my 1st roud Picks to Boston and got Kessel. Now I'm trying to get Filatov and I've even offered Kessel for him but Columbus is not budging a bit. Maltby Modano at Tanguay are all on my trading Block but I don't think I'm going to get any offers. I attempted to try to get Eric Staal from Carolina and they rejected my offer and came back with a statement saying that they would reject my offer for now but it has given them some Ideas so I may hear from them in 3 or 4 days. Maybe I can work something out. I hate that I traded away my First Round picks but do to my roster size right now I think it will be ok. But yes you were right Modano was my weak link. Thanks.

I got Filatov on my game, if only I could remember the damn trade.

O.o

#7 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:04 AM

QUOTE (Four @ September 28, 2009 - 09:15PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got Filatov on my game, if only I could remember the damn trade.

If you remember please let me know becasue I've tried every move I can try but It's just not happening for me. On my game the Jackets have a full roster so I can't trade 2 players for him. I've tried trading Phil Kessel and Chris Higgins and a 2nd round Draft Pick for Filatov and Scott Walker and the Jackets come back with they are not willing to trade young players like Nikita Filatov, so I'm not sure what to do anymore. Since I have a log-jam on defense maybe I'll try to trade Kessel and a D-man for him and someone of low trade value.

#8 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:26 AM

Players like Modano and Grier have almost no value in trade market. You can see that when you use Fantasy Draft. I think no team even picked Grier there and Modano was also available very very late.

Sign FA's who have good potential. Add those in when trading and you will get better players. Your reputation will suffer a bit and some players won't sign with you at that time. But then after you've build up your team just play a lot without making deals and things are back normal. And you end up with a better team.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#9 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:31 PM

I've got so many horrible trade offers from other teams this season. Not one has even been remotely worth considering.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#10 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:01 PM

QUOTE (Dimaline312000 @ October 1, 2009 - 10:04AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you remember please let me know becasue I've tried every move I can try but It's just not happening for me. On my game the Jackets have a full roster so I can't trade 2 players for him. I've tried trading Phil Kessel and Chris Higgins and a 2nd round Draft Pick for Filatov and Scott Walker and the Jackets come back with they are not willing to trade young players like Nikita Filatov, so I'm not sure what to do anymore. Since I have a log-jam on defense maybe I'll try to trade Kessel and a D-man for him and someone of low trade value.

Assuming you're playing as the Wings, bear in mind that AI teams in NHL 10 are loath to trade within their divisions.

#11 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 11:32 AM

QUOTE (Crymson @ October 2, 2009 - 12:01AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Assuming you're playing as the Wings, bear in mind that AI teams in NHL 10 are loath to trade within their divisions.

Another great point made.. Thanks for the help. I may just have to wait until his 3 Year entry level deal is up and see if he happens to hit the Free Agent market than. Or maybe I'll try next season. I want him this season but if it doesn't happen I guess its not the end of the world.

#12 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 02:42 PM

Should I trade Chris Osgood? On my GR and Det rosters I have about 5 Goalies Total. Osgood is obviously the best on the game with an 84 Overall and Larsson is 74 while on my Grand Rapids Roster Howard has 74 however my goalie that I just drafted in the first draft of the GM Mode since GM Mode now starts at the Prospects Game than the NHL Draft. My goalie Rocky Smithson is 75 Overall. I also have Dan Cloutier but I forget what his numer is. Than I have a goalie that for some reason the game put on my roster (I didn't sign him).

The reason I'm asking if I should trade Ozzie is becasue his numbers in the NHL as of the start of the season and I'm at Game 2 of December 09 is nowhere near as good as Rocky Smithson is in the AHL. Ozzie's GAA is already at or around 1.95 with 0 shutouts for Detroit Where as Smithson's GAA is at 1.58 or lower with 6 shutouts.

What I was thinking is finishing this season with Ozzie and than maybe just before the draft or even once the Free Agent market opens up maybe I trade him for a Draft Pick. With all the trades I've already done this season and I can't garuntee that I'm done trading this season but I've only got 3 Draft picks for this coming draft. I have a 1st, 2nd and 4th round draft picks. Which for me it's pretty good becasue I have such a log-jam on Defense and I have a couple extra Forwards but I'm not so much worried about them becasue I don't plan on resigning a lot of players for next season because I want to try to bring in another 2 to 4 younger players on the Detroit Roster. Any advice would be appreciated. What do you think I should do?

#13 ripham23232

ripham23232

Draftee

• 11 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE (Dimaline312000 @ October 4, 2009 - 03:42PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Should I trade Chris Osgood? On my GR and Det rosters I have about 5 Goalies Total. Osgood is obviously the best on the game with an 84 Overall and Larsson is 74 while on my Grand Rapids Roster Howard has 74 however my goalie that I just drafted in the first draft of the GM Mode since GM Mode now starts at the Prospects Game than the NHL Draft. My goalie Rocky Smithson is 75 Overall. I also have Dan Cloutier but I forget what his numer is. Than I have a goalie that for some reason the game put on my roster (I didn't sign him).

The reason I'm asking if I should trade Ozzie is becasue his numbers in the NHL as of the start of the season and I'm at Game 2 of December 09 is nowhere near as good as Rocky Smithson is in the AHL. Ozzie's GAA is already at or around 1.95 with 0 shutouts for Detroit Where as Smithson's GAA is at 1.58 or lower with 6 shutouts.

What I was thinking is finishing this season with Ozzie and than maybe just before the draft or even once the Free Agent market opens up maybe I trade him for a Draft Pick. With all the trades I've already done this season and I can't garuntee that I'm done trading this season but I've only got 3 Draft picks for this coming draft. I have a 1st, 2nd and 4th round draft picks. Which for me it's pretty good becasue I have such a log-jam on Defense and I have a couple extra Forwards but I'm not so much worried about them becasue I don't plan on resigning a lot of players for next season because I want to try to bring in another 2 to 4 younger players on the Detroit Roster. Any advice would be appreciated. What do you think I should do?

Depending on the potential rating, I can't see how starting a goalie is who 10 points worse would be a better move. If you're consistently losing, I don't think Osgood is the problem. It seems to me it would be better to let your draft pick develop, and then either take over for Osgood down the road or look for something in FA.

Posted Image

#14 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 01:31 PM

QUOTE (ripham23232 @ October 5, 2009 - 01:39PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Depending on the potential rating, I can't see how starting a goalie is who 10 points worse would be a better move. If you're consistently losing, I don't think Osgood is the problem. It seems to me it would be better to let your draft pick develop, and then either take over for Osgood down the road or look for something in FA.

I'm not losing that's not a problem I'm around the top of the league right now. Another reason I asked is becasue Ozzie has another year on his cotract after this one. I'm just Jimmy Howard after this season won't have a 2 Way contract anymore like he does this season (on NHL 10). Than I have 3 goalies in the NHL and I'll have to use one of my 3 Draft picks to pick up another goalie.

I've already done a little shopping of Ozzie. I didn't save anything yet but it looked like the best I was able to get was from the Atlanta Thrashers Johan (Moose) Hedberg. He is a little younger and his contract is up at the end of this season. I'm not having a problem wining games with Osgood he's got a winning record. He just has a higher GAA and Lower Save Percentage.

I did a rater bizzare thing today just for one AHL Game and one NHL Game. I sent Osgood down to GR to play a game aganist Hamilton and I won 2-1. I called Rocky Smithson up to play one game @ the New York Rangers and won 5-0. So I'm really at a big Question Mark here. I can free up a little bit of cap space and give my younger guys more time in the NHL with trading Osgood or I can wait and see what happens further down the road I still have the most of December and the rest of the season to see what happens. ????

#15 Wings_Fan_In_Exile

Wings_Fan_In_Exile

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:29 PM

Well, Ozzie AND Lidstrom retired after Season 1 for me in Be a GM.... so maybe you should trade him....
thanks offsides!

#16 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE (Wings_Fan_In_Exile @ October 5, 2009 - 06:29PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, Ozzie AND Lidstrom retired after Season 1 for me in Be a GM.... so maybe you should trade him....

After reading your post I went ahead and made the deal. I now have Johan Hedberg on my GR roster. I sent him down for the time being. I have 3 goalies on my Det roster. Smithson, Howard, and Larsson. I think that after this season is over I'm going to start next season with Smithson down in GR to give him a little more development time. I will probably use my 1st round pick to pick up another higher ranked goalie. I don't plan on resigning Cloutier or Hedberg after this season. Because I have 3 goalies on my Det roster I'm right at the cap with only $500,000.00 remaining. Does anyone know if the next season will mean a higher salary cap on the game? I'm hoping so becasue that would really help me out. One more bit of advice needed. If you were going to trade one D-man between Lebda, Lilja, or Meech who would you trade?? I'm leaning towards Lebda or Lilja but I'm not sure yet. Another possiblity is just wait until the end of the season and just not resign one or two of them. Thanks for the help.

#17 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:38 PM

QUOTE (Dimaline312000 @ October 4, 2009 - 01:42PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The NHL will provide more of a challenge than the AHL; the numbers are not comparable.

#18 ripham23232

ripham23232

Draftee

• 11 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:30 AM

I've been trying to trade Lilja all season long as I just don't really like him at all. No takers, especially with his trade value being so low. Eventually I just sent him to GR, but I play all the ahl games too so I'm still stuck with him. My gm rating with a lot of teams is terrible because they've rejected so many of my offers. If you need to trade one I would start with one of Meech of Lebda, but it might be easier just to wait it out and let one leave.

Posted Image

#19 Four

Four

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:47 PM

QUOTE (Wings_Fan_In_Exile @ October 5, 2009 - 06:29PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Raffi retired for me after the first year and lidstrom didn't but he doesn't want to join my team because he thinks we wont connect with my young team >.> I offered him 1m more than he wanted too

O.o

#20 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE (ripham23232 @ October 7, 2009 - 09:30AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been trying to trade Lilja all season long as I just don't really like him at all. No takers, especially with his trade value being so low. Eventually I just sent him to GR, but I play all the ahl games too so I'm still stuck with him. My gm rating with a lot of teams is terrible because they've rejected so many of my offers. If you need to trade one I would start with one of Meech of Lebda, but it might be easier just to wait it out and let one leave.

Yeah I've tried trading them seperately for 5th round picks and even both of them for just a 5th round pick and no-takers. Both their contacts are up after this season so I don't see me resigning either one of them with so many good d-men on my roster that can come up at do a better job than they have for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users