• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
19Wingsfan4ever

Red Wings 09-10 roster

Rate this topic

Do guys think that this coming 2009-2010 Redwings roster will better than last years team despite losing 82 goals from Hossa,Samuelsson, Hudler and Kopecky during the offseason but made up 40 plus goals by getting such players like Todd Bertuzzi. Techincally it should be 40 goals lost because The Redwings won the Cup without Hossa the previous season in 2007-2008. We will see what happens.

<_<

Guest lnvincible
Do guys think that this coming 2009-2010 Redwings roster will better than last years team despite losing 82 goals from Hossa,Samuelsson, Hudler and Kopecky during the offseason but made up 40 plus goals by getting such players like Todd Bertuzzi. Techincally it should be 40 goals lost because The Redwings won the Cup without Hossa the previous season in 2007-2008. We will see what happens.

<_<

How much threads before you let it go?

Sammy and Hudler played a vital role in the 07/08 Cup. I really do not count Hossa as we was a non-factor in the playoffs even though he had a decent season here. It is that old argument, catch-22 statement, or whatever you want to call it... We may not of made the playoffs if Hossa was not here some may state - which I would not agree with... We shall see what Eaves, Bert, and J-Will (I don't like this guy) bring to the team.Things will be a little wonky for the 1st 20 games or so... Feast or famine I am voting for...

09/10 can not be compared to the 07/08 or 08/09 teams in my mind.

This argument comes up pretty regularly it seems, and I always say that its a better comparison to look at the 2007-2008 Wings team and this years'. Having Hossa on the team last year was an anomaly that isn't supposed to happen to a team as loaded as the Wings. Even though they didn't win the Cup, t's not fair or realistic to compare that team to any team simply because cap restrictions prevent that from being a regular occurrence. When looking back 2 years from today, we had Hudler, Sammy, Drake, Kopecky, Chelios, Maltby (if he's the odd man out) and Hasek. We essentially replaced them with Leino, Williams, Bertuzzi, Eaves, Ericsson, Helm and Osgood (with Howard filling in backup). Looking at the defensive side of things, this year's team is much better than two years ago, both in terms of defensive forwards, and defensman. Offensively we might have taken a step back, but we will have to wait and see how unknowns like Leino, Bertuzzi, Eaves, and Helm work out (not to mention any added support from guys like Filppulla).

Overall I wouldn't say this year's team is necessarily better than last year's or the year before, but I do think that we have just a strong a chance to win the Cup.

This argument comes up pretty regularly it seems, and I always say that its a better comparison to look at the 2007-2008 Wings team and this years'. Having Hossa on the team last year was an anomaly that isn't supposed to happen to a team as loaded as the Wings. Even though they didn't win the Cup, t's not fair or realistic to compare that team to any team simply because cap restrictions prevent that from being a regular occurrence. When looking back 2 years from today, we had Hudler, Sammy, Drake, Kopecky, Chelios, Maltby (if he's the odd man out) and Hasek. We essentially replaced them with Leino, Williams, Bertuzzi, Eaves, Ericsson, Helm and Osgood (with Howard filling in backup). Looking at the defensive side of things, this year's team is much better than two years ago, both in terms of defensive forwards, and defensman. Offensively we might have taken a step back, but we will have to wait and see how unknowns like Leino, Bertuzzi, Eaves, and Helm work out (not to mention any added support from guys like Filppulla).

Overall I wouldn't say this year's team is necessarily better than last year's or the year before, but I do think that we have just a strong a chance to win the Cup.

In all honesty, that 2009 team is probably going to be one of the best we see post-lockout in some time.

Something unforeseen had to happen for them to lose the Cup -- and it did: 70+ man games lost in the playoffs due to injury. If healthy, that team would have steamrolled through all rounds. Darnit.

Wow, a completely new argument that I have never seen before!!!

Maybe on paper last year's roster was better. But let's not forget that Hossa is injured now anyway and he sucked in the playoffs and that Samuelsson and Hudler won't be as good this year without the Wings. Let's also add that we have enough scorers on the team. We needed some physical players and now we have Bertuzzi. We are gonna have to wait till October 2nd and find out if it worked.

As frustrated as I was during the summer, I now feel pretty good about this team and I think the WIngs can dominate to the Finals again this year. The Sporting News has the Pens and Wings in the Finals again, interestingly, but they have the Pens winning. Sorry, but no way does a Pens team beat the Wings in 7 games without the Wings being seriously injured. Despite playing with 0 passion and through massive injuries, the Wings still nearly won the Cup.

I think the Wings have added hunger and motivation along with a little more energy and speed along with a dose of physicality (possibly a big dose, but we'll see how it turns out).

I have a good feeling about this year.

The only worry I have is about Howard, but hopefully Larsson can step in if Howard slips.

As frustrated as I was during the summer, I now feel pretty good about this team and I think the WIngs can dominate to the Finals again this year. The Sporting News has the Pens and Wings in the Finals again, interestingly, but they have the Pens winning. Sorry, but no way does a Pens team beat the Wings in 7 games without the Wings being seriously injured. Despite playing with 0 passion and through massive injuries, the Wings still nearly won the Cup.

I think the Wings have added hunger and motivation along with a little more energy and speed along with a dose of physicality (possibly a big dose, but we'll see how it turns out).

I have a good feeling about this year.

The only worry I have is about Howard, but hopefully Larsson can step in if Howard slips.

I completely agree with you

On paper, there is no way that this years team is even close to that of last year. Although, on paper the 2008-2009 was better than the 2007-2008 group and we all know how that turned out...

The good news is that the Wings will be hungrier than I've ever seen them, except for maybe the 97 season...but I do have a good feeling about this season though...

Can you guys believe the season starts in roughly 2 weeks :o

It will all come down to the playoffs. The Wings will get their shot at another cup, but I truly believe our success will come down to Pavel Datsyuk performing in the postseason. Zetterberg and Franzen have proven they can step it up - and I know people are going to get their panties in a knot when I say this - but Datsyuk was plain lousy in last seasons playoffs. For all the s*** we gave Hossa for not scoring, one goal in 16 games for Pavel just doesn't cut it. He was able to shake the non-playoff performer persona during the 2008 run, but in my mind - no matter how much I love the guy - he has something to prove this year. The weight it put on Zetterberg was obvious during the finals.

Anyone remember when eddie olzchek said that hossa needs to be the zetterberg of last year for the wings to go all the way? Anyways that statement was very true since that was hossas primary role. But hossa isnt zetterberg and didnt even come close. Zetters will be the go to guy once again this year as long as he stays healthy.

There's no way this year's team will be as dominant as last year's in the regular season...not a chance. With that being said this may be a blessing in disguise, last year's team was on cruise control through the regular season because they were heads and tails above everyone else...this year's team is going to have to scratch and claw to get a W in many more games then they did last year...my hope is that this will make them have a stronger workman-type ethic by the time the playoffs come around...last year they had a baptism by fire on the fly in the 2nd round but thankfully they proved up to the test, we cannot always count on being that lucky in that type of situation....after that the big question as anyone with a brain can see is the goaltending issue, Ozzie needs to buck up and handle the load during the regular season until Howard or whoever our number 2 goalie is, proves they can stand on their own.

I'd say this year's team is a more interesting team because there's so much room for error and so much room for growth. Ericsson, Leino and Helm getting full seasons makes this year an exciting look at the future of this team. I can't wait. If Ericsson and Leino fulfill the expectations they've set up for themselves then we're in really, really great shape. Ericsson makes the defense so much sexier as he's already proven himself to be top 4 and he hasn't even had a full rookie season. The sky's the limit with Big E. Leino's in a very similar situation-- he can be a dynamic, cheap 2nd line winger in his rookie year. Speculative hockey sites are already listing Leino as a Calder threat-- I read one preview that listed Leino as second overall in their list of probable Calder winners! Everything we've seen from Leino indicates that he really could be the next big thing up front.

It will all come down to the playoffs. The Wings will get their shot at another cup, but I truly believe our success will come down to Pavel Datsyuk performing in the postseason. Zetterberg and Franzen have proven they can step it up - and I know people are going to get their panties in a knot when I say this - but Datsyuk was plain lousy in last seasons playoffs. For all the s*** we gave Hossa for not scoring, one goal in 16 games for Pavel just doesn't cut it. He was able to shake the non-playoff performer persona during the 2008 run, but in my mind - no matter how much I love the guy - he has something to prove this year. The weight it put on Zetterberg was obvious during the finals.

Unlike Hossa, Datsyuk was fighting two injuries in the playoffs. That gives him some slack... And for the record he put up the same number of points as Crosby did in the finals in 3 fewer games.

Unlike Hossa, Datsyuk was fighting two injuries in the playoffs. That gives him some slack... And for the record he put up the same number of points as Crosby did in the finals in 3 fewer games.

And Datsyuk was still making things happen, even without the goals coming. He was all over the ice, and he got the first half of his pretty stuff going but then fizzled out (largely due to the injuries). I have no qualms with Datsyuk's performance. More goals would have been nice, naturally, but I don't particularly blame him, knowing the circumstances.

And Datsyuk was still making things happen, even without the goals coming. He was all over the ice, and he got the first half of his pretty stuff going but then fizzled out (largely due to the injuries). I have no qualms with Datsyuk's performance. More goals would have been nice, naturally, but I don't particularly blame him, knowing the circumstances.

I definitely agree. Hossa's the guy I single out because the Wings hired him specifically to be the guy they faced the year before in the finals and he was just the opposite when the finals rolled along.

I definitely agree. Hossa's the guy I single out because the Wings hired him specifically to be the guy they faced the year before in the finals and he was just the opposite when the finals rolled along.

I've always had a paranoid suspicion that the Wings slightly adjusted their style of play with more of an emphasis on offense so that Hossa would be happy to get his goals. In that case though, both parties are morons.

Yes, he was injured, but he still only had one goal before he hurt his foot.

Also, keep in mind Hossa was injured too...remember the whole shoulder injury that is keeping him out for half of this season? Not making excuses for Hossa, and still I know Dats was hurtin', but I haven't seen him perform to the level of Zetterberg in any post season thus far. If that changes, the Wings look good to take 2 cups in 3 years.

I think this year's team will be harder to contain. We will have 4 solid lines, instead of 2 top-heavy ones.

Our defense will be better, I think that once the 6th man is decided we will have a solid 3 lines.

Power-play will be good, 3 guys to stand in front of the other team's goalie is great to have.

I will say that our goaltending is lesser. Not in terms of Ozzie, but his back-up. Conklin was the best back-up in the league last year. I just don't know if Howard has got "it."

Does anyone think we'll see a Franzen-Filppula-Bertuzzi line? A #2 line with 2 big power forwards and an improved set up man in Filppula would be an interesting watch...

It looks like for now itll be Tonight Show-Flipper-J-will for the third line, and honestly until anyone of them can prove they deserve to be top 6, I say this line is a good third line.

I think they will have a better regular season than last year. They should be a harder working team this season over last. They will probably be better defensively from the forward positions too. More physical and better overall skating. I think you improve all these areas replacing Hudler and Sammy with Helm and Leino. And if Eaves can follow the script others like Cleary have, he could find his game after 30 something goals his first two years. Bertuzzi adds physicality and Id love to see Abdelkader see the ice. The penalty kill will be much improved. These guys have track records killing penalties. Last year was an anomaly. Jason Williams will be better at the point on the second PP unit than Sammy. They are soft in goal tho. I wonder how long it takes for Howard and Larsson to change places.

That Anaheim series was brutal last year. Couple that with cheap shots to Lidstroms testicles, Erricsons appendix, other assorted injuries, tons of hockey in the last three years and the dreaded Cup hangover and ya have a situation where the best team might just lose a Game 7 to one thats younger and hungrier.