• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,337 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 10:59 PM

Yes I'm single - there's only 1 of me on this planet (unless of course some evil genius decided to clone me crazy.gif ).

On a serious note; happily married for almost 5 years, have a 18 month old son, and another son is due in 5 weeks.

For me life is good happy.gif

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#42 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,397 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:56 AM

QUOTE (F.Michael @ September 20, 2009 - 10:59PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes I'm single - there's only 1 of me on this planet (unless of course some evil genius decided to clone me crazy.gif ).

On a serious note; happily married for almost 5 years, have a 18 month old son, and another son is due in 5 weeks.

For me life is good happy.gif

Congratulations and happy birthday to you... and a little early happy birthday to your new son. smile.gif

puckloo39dom.jpg

"There is no passion to be found in playing small -- in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

Nelson Mandela - RIP  1918-2013

Better than Ever

#43 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,337 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 11:11 AM

QUOTE (puckloo39 @ September 21, 2009 - 07:56AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Congratulations and happy birthday to you... and a little early happy birthday to your new son. smile.gif

Thanks Loo!

wink.gif

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#44 micah

micah

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:10 PM

QUOTE (titanium2 @ September 19, 2009 - 06:53AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You guys are allowed to f*** other people every now and again? If so then yeah that's gotta be real healthy.

Uhh, you might want to look up "wanderlust".
"It was pretty interesting," said Detroit coach Mike Babcock. "We had May in exhibition for a couple of games and no one gets hacked or whacked. When we don't have him, we get run. We don't have a team that twists off helmets at stoppages. You get tired of seeing it all the time. It's just nice when you get someone to look after that stuff."

#45 Wings_Fan_In_Exile

Wings_Fan_In_Exile

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 04:17 PM

I've been single for almost two years now following a two year relationship. It's funny to me to compare/contrast the last four years. I'd say I've been equally happy on both sides of the coin there. The relationship was great right up until the pain in the ass break up which is a different story. It was great to share myself with somebody else, learn about what they like, somebody that is always there to go home to etc. But by the same token being single offers a lot more freedom to do what I want (most healthy relationships contain some level of comprimise such as watching a chick flick or going to a play or something that I normally wouldn't do).

Anyway, being single actually can be a choice- I've probably dated 15-20 women since that break up and none have sparked that interest to pursue it further than a few dates. I see some friends that seem to settle just so they aren't alone, bouncing from relationship to relationship, or staying in one when they aren't happy with it. That I understand a lot less than being perfectly fine "flying solo" and spending more time with friends....

But like a lot on here said, to each their own. smile.gif
thanks offsides!

#46 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE (Wings_Fan_In_Exile @ September 21, 2009 - 04:17PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been single for almost two years now following a two year relationship. It's funny to me to compare/contrast the last four years. I'd say I've been equally happy on both sides of the coin there. The relationship was great right up until the pain in the ass break up which is a different story. It was great to share myself with somebody else, learn about what they like, somebody that is always there to go home to etc. But by the same token being single offers a lot more freedom to do what I want (most healthy relationships contain some level of comprimise such as watching a chick flick or going to a play or something that I normally wouldn't do).

Anyway, being single actually can be a choice- I've probably dated 15-20 women since that break up and none have sparked that interest to pursue it further than a few dates. I see some friends that seem to settle just so they aren't alone, bouncing from relationship to relationship, or staying in one when they aren't happy with it. That I understand a lot less than being perfectly fine "flying solo" and spending more time with friends....

But like a lot on here said, to each their own. smile.gif

Perfectly stated on the bolded part. I definitely get lonely at time being solo and being in my late 20s, but I'm not going to get in a relationship just for the sake of it or to be in one out of desperation, generally speaking.

#47 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • Location:Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 762.20 miles from the Joe Louis Arena

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:04 PM

Single but working on a girl.
hadthomasvokounonfortst.jpg
Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

#48 HOCKEY MATTERS

HOCKEY MATTERS

Nearly invisible now........you smell that?

• HoF Booster
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:09 AM

Happily married for 15 years. I was 34 and she was 40, my first marriage and her second. We met at a spiritual study group and initially avoided each other like the plague, but resistance was futile. We are alike enough to enjoy each others company, but also have separate interests and hobbies. We will each take a weekend to do what we want occasionally and a long vacation together each year. We get along pretty good. The secret to having a good marriage (like any relationship, really) is the art of compromise. We don't have to "ask" the others' permission to do stuff, but we are considerate enough to be honest and communicate freely and honestly with each other. We seem to be able to switch between the individual and team concepts seamlessly. It's all about trust.

note: i am without a doubt the lucky one in this marriage. ask anyone from
RedWingNation HQ (east).
half the world is nuts...and the other half is crazy
"You can't chew yesterdays' breakfast." Jim Leyland
Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing.

Alternative to Google tracking you.... http://duckduckgo.com/

#49 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,102 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE (HOCKEY MATTERS @ September 22, 2009 - 08:09AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
note: i am without a doubt the lucky one in this marriage. ask anyone from
RedWingNation HQ (east).

This is true...
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#50 Inultus

Inultus

Slush ****

• PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 02:49 PM

Seems like a lot of people are saying that they like being single because they can do what they want. As Micah said, if you can't do what you want and have the support of your significant other, you are with the wrong person.

For instance, tonight my girl is going on a flight lesson and I am playing in my dart league at the bar. We'll be happy to see each other at the end of the night.

Yes, relationships are work but having someone who accepts you as you are makes everything so much easier. She accepts that I smoke and I accept that she likes to buy way too many shoes. It's easy if you go into it with that mindset.

That said, I was single and casually dating numerous girls for a LONG time, just so that I could do whatever the hell I wanted. I never got serious with anyone, until now. I'm happier now.
"It's been six years since we won the Cup. That's too long." -Nick Lidstrom

"my message is simple: The next time anyone runs any of our guys in a way that shouldn't be done, then a message will be sent. I'm not going to go out and run your skill guys, your superstars. I'm going to go right to the guy (who did it), and fair justice is fair justice." -Downey

#51 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,660 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:18 AM

I have spent WAY more time single than um,... occupied(?)

They are different kinds of happiness. The key to either is mindset. If you are convinced that you can't be happy single, then you won't be. If you are convinced that having someone in your life will make you happy, and you have someone, you will soon find that just having someone there isn't the key to happiness.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both. Whether one is happier one way or the other depends on one's priorities, interests, personality... and the list goes on.

What sucks no matter which side of the fence you're on is that there is always someone on the other side trying to make you feel bad or guilty about being on the side that you are on.

Money on the board:  Current total: 0

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

#52 EuroTwin

EuroTwin

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,707 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE (Inultus @ September 30, 2009 - 02:49PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, relationships are work but having someone who accepts you as you are makes everything so much easier. She accepts that I smoke and I accept that she likes to buy way too many shoes. It's easy if you go into it with that mindset.

Two things:

1.) There's no such thing as too many shoes. laugh.gif

2.) Buying shoes won't give you cancer. </gets off annoying soapbox>

I'm in a relationship, have been for five and a half years. One of these days we'll get around to getting married. But for right now, both of us are happy with the way we are, and neither of us are in a rush to "make it official." Your relationship is only as official as you make it. And the more people *cough*my family*cough*his mother*cough* hassle us about it, the less inclined we are to have a big to-do.

Edited by EuroTwin, 04 October 2009 - 06:50 PM.

Hudler!!

"If you didn't know him, and saw him without hockey gear, you'd never suspect Datsyuk to be a world-class athlete. He walks a bit hunched over. His gait is somewhat crab-like, almost like he's still skating, even on dry land.

But put him on skates and he's Houdini on ice. He is not the fastest skater by a long shot, but there can't be too many who are stronger or more flexible. Checking him has to feel like checking Gumby. You might get a piece of him, but he bounces away, moving faster thanks to the leverage he gained from your check."

From The Detroit News

#53 Kronner55

Kronner55

Proud member of the Kronner Krew

• Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:31 PM

Married for 15 & a half years. One kid... It has its ups & downs, but I think we've found the happy medium for the most part. We've suvived a move to Japan & back, good financial times & bad. I think our success for the most part is I am fortunate enough to be able to stay home & run our home. (be the taxi driver, chef, laundress, maid, mechanic, repairwoman, landscaper, accountant, etc.) While I'm doing that, he can focus on his job & not have to deal with all those other little details in life. It seems with two job households there isn't time for the job of life at home... and those lines are not clearly drawn & maintained in so many homes.
"Doesn't take ya too long to figure out that he's huntin' ya." ~ Mike Babcock of Niklas Kronwall

#54 ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 07:17 PM

hmm..this threads been nonactive for like..4 months...

updates anyone? smile.gif

me ive only had one serious girlfriend in my life and that ended over 4 years ago. prior to that my relationships never lasted long. either they just lost interest in me or found someone else. i was always getting my heart broken. then i met her and we went for 6 months. i really dont know what happened. things just werent the same. so we split up. well she did. she told me that she didnt have the same amount of feelings she had for me when we first got together. long story short the very next day after she told me this i found out she was already seeing another guy. so... i was heartbroken once again. and i couldnt take it upon myself to talk to her again.

since my last relationship i havent been in a relationship. although i will admit ive have some fun along the way. as of right now right now i have no time for relationships. the job i work at now has me working long hours and i dont think that a relationship will make my situation any better.

hopefully i get updates smile.gif

#55 Inultus

Inultus

Slush ****

• PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:21 PM

Not much update on my part but my girl and I are talking about moving up to Traverse City so she can go back to school for nursing and I can go the the Wings practice camps, lol.

"It's been six years since we won the Cup. That's too long." -Nick Lidstrom

"my message is simple: The next time anyone runs any of our guys in a way that shouldn't be done, then a message will be sent. I'm not going to go out and run your skill guys, your superstars. I'm going to go right to the guy (who did it), and fair justice is fair justice." -Downey

#56 Yzermania19

Yzermania19

Mr. General Manager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:14 PM

Just found this thread...I'm single and I hate it. Being single is so profoundly lonely, even though I live with others. It sucks. And now that my best friend is getting married in October, I am officially the last unattached girl from our little group. I still hope I find someone and get married, but I want kids, and most men in my age group (I'm 45) have grown kids and don't want to start over. Plus, since I can't get pregnant, we'd have to adopt, so that's also an issue (you wouldn't believe how many male friends have said, "I wouldn't want to raise someone else's kids").

I just want a life partner...someone to share the journey with. Someone to grow old with. I don't think that's too much to ask.
Posted Image
"Talk show...talk show...talk show...oooh! Curling!"

#57 puffy

puffy

Slightly Insane

• PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:36 PM

I am in a very committed relationship with my right hand at the moment. Should an alternative show up I will gladly end it though.

#58 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:10 PM

Take this for what you want, whether you think I'm full of it or whatever. Since this thread popped up again.

I think a lot of times in life, generally speaking, people try to put you down or basically tell you your current life isn't good enough, relationships, work or otherwise, no matter what you do. Why didn't you do this or why aren't you with so and so? I try to follow the mindset of being active and happy/content in life in whatever you do - career wise, personally/mentally, hobbies, "relationships" as they are talked about in this matter, etc. in spite of what others or "society" might tell you.

Is my life perfect? Not even close. I'm not one to just mope around or feel sorry for myself though because life isn't fair or I don't have the great personality girl or the good looking woman or whatever else. Life's always going to be unfair at times, I just don't like wasting my time crying about or ranting about what I don't have personally/professionally. I'm just enjoying the present.

Who knows if/when my mindset might change again, it'd definitely be nice to be with somebody, but as of now I'm pretty content with my life personally and with everything else. If this is the "worst" life can get, it's not that bad.

It's all about being content with yourself. If you feel you need to be happy by being with somebody else, find ways to be with somebody. If you're content with being single, enjoy it and don't worry about what you don't have or what others might think of you.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 19 July 2010 - 11:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users