• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WpgMikos

Has Chelios lost it? Now he wants Paul Kelly back.

Rate this topic

Apparently now he regrets the Kelly firing and is considering asking him to return.

From today's National Post:

Chris Chelios is planning to talk with other players about the possibility of bringing back Paul Kelly as executive director of the National Hockey League Players’ Association....

So what is going on with the NHLPA?

I think everyone is reading into this too much - there was a vote and a bunch of players VOTED him out, because they were pissed about the salary dropping (irrationally, because of the economy) so they made Kelly a scapegoat... now, they're realizing the error of their ways and HOPEFULLY will right a wrong...

One of the greatest life lessons I took from my grandpa, was that he always said that there was no bigger thing a man could do, than admit when he is wrong and do everything he can to right it.

I think everyone is reading into this too much - there was a vote and a bunch of players VOTED him out, because they were pissed about the salary dropping (irrationally, because of the economy) so they made Kelly a scapegoat... now, they're realizing the error of their ways and HOPEFULLY will right a wrong...

Where did you hear that? Based on all the information I have been able to gather, this has absolutely nothing to do with it, in fact, I've never even heard of any issues with salaries dropping.

It was not an issue of salaries. Supposedly they caught him reading meeting minutes of a meeting between the advisory board and the players during which Ian Penny's contract was extended. This action broke the laws of the PA, which is why Kelly was reading the minutes.

Additionally, Chelios was at the meeting in Chicago and was one of several reps who wanted to delay the vote so they could have time to think about what they were doing. He was also one of 4 or 5 player reps who voted against firing Kelly.

It was not an issue of salaries. Supposedly they caught him reading meeting minutes of a meeting between the advisory board and the players during which Ian Penny's contract was extended. This action broke the laws of the PA, which is why Kelly was reading the minutes.

Additionally, Chelios was at the meeting in Chicago and was one of several reps who wanted to delay the vote so they could have time to think about what they were doing. He was also one of 4 or 5 player reps who voted against firing Kelly.

just like when a company fires an employee because of being late, when in reality, it was because their numbers weren't high enough... the real reason was the salaries and anything else was used as an excuse...

Edited by stevkrause

just like when a company fires an employee because of being late, when in reality, it was because their numbers weren't high enough... the real reason was the salaries and anything else was used as an excuse...

No offense intended, but I really don't think you have any idea what you are talking about on this one.

Where did you hear that? Based on all the information I have been able to gather, this has absolutely nothing to do with it, in fact, I've never even heard of any issues with salaries dropping.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/1001719...ttle-on-horizon

Still, there's the opinion the players gave up too much in the last lockout, as Maple Leafs defenseman Garnet Exelby recently suggested to the Toronto Sun.

Exelby claimed the players had an issue with the current escrow setup, which because of the recession resulted in up to 20 percent of the players' salaries withheld at times last season, comparing that with the NBA's escrow cap of between 8-9 percent.

Escrow is obviously a significant issue for the PA but it might not be the only issue.

Yahoo! Sports' Greg Wyshynski spoke with several player agents over this summer and they suggest another labor war could be coming.

"Long-term contracts, international play, player input into League decisions like expansion and relocation, and the players' slice of the pie in general," wrote Wyshynski, adding those agents believed prior to Kelly's firing the PA was ill-prepared for another fight with the league.

money.

Edited by stevkrause

Kelly is the one who told everyone that he read the minutes. Additionally, he was first informed that he may want to read the minutes from several players who were concerned that the meeting was a break of the player constitution -- and it was. Kelly read the minutes, and saw that the meeting was the players arbitrarily deciding to give Penny a five-year extension, which is illegal for them to do without Kelly present. Kelly read the minutes to ensure the players weren't taken for a ride (they obviously were) and then told everyone he did so. Nobody, including Buzzy, would have known had he not said so.

Chelios didn't want Kelly to be fired from the beginning, but as one of the senior players present, he became the unofficial spokesman for the cause. He couldn't likely say, "we all voted, and I disagreed, but there you have it." He had to present a "company" face and say they were all in it together -- pretty normal.

He's only gone on the record for being somewhat against this since other stars have come forward to call this a bulls*** move.

Edited by kidish

Kelly's firing had nothing to do with money -- his entire tenure was marked by players unhappiness over revenues. He didn't cause that situation, however. In fact, Penny, the f***** who the players decided to keep on as interim moron, is the counsel who worked with the NHL coming out of the lockout to set the current stuff up.

Any mention of money in Kelly's firing is misdirection and speculation, pure and simple. The gist of what every other media outlet (other than Fox ******* Sports) have reported is that it was the minutes reading allegation and the fact that certain players (such as the Lindros/Buzzy camp and their followers) felt Kelly was too soft to go to battle with the NHL in two years.

edit: another funny thing to consider, if money was such a big deal, why'd the players vote to allow Buzzy to make $150,000 for 3-5 hours of work a week? Pretty nuts. The players don't know s*** about economics.

Edited by kidish

Kelly's firing had nothing to do with money -- his entire tenure was marked by players unhappiness over revenues. He didn't cause that situation, however. In fact, Penny, the f***** who the players decided to keep on as interim moron, is the counsel who worked with the NHL coming out of the lockout to set the current stuff up.

Any mention of money in Kelly's firing is misdirection and speculation, pure and simple. The gist of what every other media outlet (other than Fox ******* Sports) have reported is that it was the minutes reading allegation and the fact that certain players (such as the Lindros/Buzzy camp and their followers) felt Kelly was too soft to go to battle with the NHL in two years.

edit: another funny thing to consider, if money was such a big deal, why'd the players vote to allow Buzzy to make $150,000 for 3-5 hours of work a week? Pretty nuts. The players don't know s*** about economics.

ALL of the reasons are speculation at best... there is no clear cut reason and money is my speculation... you can disagree, but I refuse to believe it was not the driving factor.

ALL of the reasons are speculation at best... there is no clear cut reason and money is my speculation... you can disagree, but I refuse to believe it was not the driving factor.

Fair enough! But when all we're seeing is this repeated over and over again, I'm inclined to believe it:

Kelly had secured the transcript of the Las Vegas meeting to see if the players had violated their constitution by awarding a five-year contract to general counsel Ian Penny. Kelly is believed to have acknowledged he read the transcript to point out the players had violated their own constitution by not following the proper protocol.

The players and advisory board also commented on Kelly’s leadership while he was absent from the Las Vegas meeting. There have been reports the players felt Kelly was too close to the NHL and had not done enough planning for negotiations on a new collective agreement.

Boston Bruins’ defenceman Andrew Ference was involved in the review of Kelly and recently told The Globe and Mail, there were issues of trust.

That's what they use drug tests for...

From Toronto Star :

The executive board of the NHL players union – which includes Leafs rep Matt Stajan – is on the hot seat today over the firing of executive director Paul Kelly.

While Stajan insisted yesterday that "there's no turning back" from the Aug.31 decision by the board to oust Kelly, concerns aired by sports agency CAA Sports indicates the executive committee owes the membership a proper explanation of the process. It's also believed CAA Sports will begin marshalling other agents to discuss the board's action in Kelly's ouster.

"We have had numerous discussions with our clients and other players around the league regarding the dismissal of Paul Kelly as executive director of the NHLPA," agents J.P. Barry and Pat Brisson of CAA Sports said in a statement.

"Some of the things we have learned about the process are very troubling to us. We are encouraging each of our clients to educate themselves with union matters so they can understand how these types of decisions are reached. We believe that a strong and unified voice is necessary. In order for that to happen, the majority of players must be heard."

The last paragraph above speaks volumes. Any union is only as good as the interest the membership takes in how it operates.

From TSN :

Shawn Horcoff says he wouldn't change the decision that cost Paul Kelly his job, but as a member of the NHLPA's 30 player executive board, who participated in the marathon meetings leading up to Kelly's firing, Horcoff admits feeling pressure from the PA's advisory board and interim ombudsman, Buzz Hargrove.

"I never felt comfortable with the environment the advisory board created in the meetings in Chicago," Horcoff said.

"They had a lot to say. They took up a lot of our time and had strong influence on the decision made."

"Hopefully, more players will now want to get involved. We don't have a lot of experience or clout in there. It doesn't have to be star players, or collged grads, but experience helps and will make a difference."

"If players are pissed off, maybe they'll start getting involved," Horcoff concluded.

In other words: "Wake up, millionaires".

Ouch; from TSN :

Hall of Famer Brad Park has chimed in on the ongoing public feud between National Hockey League players and the Players' Association's 30-member executive board.

Responding to remarks made by Bruins defenceman Andrew Ference to Boston Globe reporter Fluto Shinzawa on Wednesday, the former Bruins defenceman voiced his displeasure with Ference.

''Let me tell Andrew Ference, one defenceman to another, he should spend more time worrying about going back to get the puck than to worry about Paul Kelly's ability to do the job as head of the PA,'' Park told the Globe. ''When [Ference] was in junior, I assume he wasn't going to college...so I ask, what makes him so [expletive] smart?! They had a guy like Chris Chelios in that room [in Chicago] who disagreed, told them to wait and think.

''Maybe guys like Ference should take time to listen to guys who are older and smarter.''

YES!