• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

11iscoming

Mitchell Callahan

Rate this topic

I think Callahan will do very well in the AHL and NHL. He is a pretty good player in the juniors, but he is the type of guy who plays better as his line mates get better. He feeds off of who he plays with and creates chances in the offensive zone with great forechecking and doing all the dirty work. He is the type of guy who does not have enough natural talent to make it in the top 6, but would not hold his line back or be a liability if he was used as a supporting player on a line with two more skilled players in the top 6.

Isn't fighting as much this season because the Wings told him he had to cut down his penalty minutes to make it to Detroit :thumbdown:

UK have faith, they drafted this guy knowing he could fight, maybe they do want him to be a scrapper for them!

I think Callahan will do very well in the AHL and NHL. He is a pretty good player in the juniors, but he is the type of guy who plays better as his line mates get better. He feeds off of who he plays with and creates chances in the offensive zone with great forechecking and doing all the dirty work. He is the type of guy who does not have enough natural talent to make it in the top 6, but would not hold his line back or be a liability if he was used as a supporting player on a line with two more skilled players in the top 6.

This seems pretty true, I'm very excited to see how his style of game translates to the AHL next year. Is he big or tough enough to continue playing that same style? I think so, he has been fighting in the WHL against big guys and has only lost like 4 of 50 fights.

I doubt he is ever in our top 6 but at the rate he is developing he could end up a third liner who can play on the top line in a pinch perhaps

No link, just from a reliable source.

(edit: If you choose to not beleive me, I have no problem with that. Can never trust the internet.)

Well maybe they told him this because they Kid can already fight.. everyone knows that... so maybe they want him to stay out of the box and work more on his offensive game and skills which so far looks like they have been improving...

Hopefully thats all it is... I already have said this in other threads but he will be part of Grind Line 2.0...

Mitchell (McCarty) Helm (Draper) Abdelkader (Matlby)

I think it almost works out perfect and if you go to Wings games watch warm ups... and especially watch Draper and Helm... He slowly is starting to take over his role during warm ups... Especially in the Half moon shooting drill where draper makes the passes and then Helm steps in and finishes it...

Crash

Mitch gets a Gordie, the Rockets blanked Tri-city 3- zip last night with Mitch getting 1+1 and a 5min major for fighting.

Yeah and he also looked to hurt his hand pretty bad in the fight, hopefully its nothing too serious. Turns out he got 7 stitches in his hand and returned to score the game winner

Callahan is the man, hes had a few gordies this year. I wonder the last time the wings had a guy in the prospect pool that was as tough as Callahan but produced almost a ppg?

EDIT: Went to check the Kelowna website and found this awesome article

The Callahan Legend Grows

It‘s hard to keep a tough guy down.

In Mitchell Callahan‘s case, it‘s nearly impossible.

At Prospera Place on Wednesday night, Callahan came back from taking seven stitches in his hand to score the winning goal as the Kelowna Rockets defeated the Tri-City Americans 3-1, moving eight points ahead of Vancouver in the race for first place in the WHL‘s B.C. division in the process.

Callahan suffered multiple cuts to his hand in a first-period fight, got stitched up in the dressing room and returned to the ice in time to snap a 1-1 tie in the third period.

"It was sore and stiff, but they did a good job of stitching it up and taping it up," said Callahan. "At the start of the third period it started to cramp up, but I don‘t like to miss any games so it was something I battled through."

Callahan‘s goal came as the pace of play picked up with both teams creating chances with the game knotted at 1-1. Shane McColgan jumped on a loose puck at the Rockets‘ blue-line, sped through neutral ice and into Ams territory, then fired a quick pass to Callahan who one-timed the shot past Tri-City goalie Drew Owsley. It was just his third goal in the past 11 games.

"It was kind of frustrating, but at the same time the team is winning so I didn‘t want to change up anything," he said. "It was nice to get this and hopefully more will come. It was a relief to get the monkey off my back."

That first-period fight, although it resulted in stitches when the linesman stepped on his hand, had Callahan involved physically in the game - something his coach thought was key.

"I thought Mitchell was great tonight," said Rockets head coach Ryan Huska. "I think he finished with the Gordie Howe hat trick. I think when he gets involved physically, he usually plays a good game and he scored a key goal for us."

Geordie Wudrick also scored for the Rockets - his team-leading 39th of the season - while Evan Bloodoff added an empty-netter to seal the victory.

Carter Ashton was the only Americans shooter to beat Kelowna goalie Adam Brown, who won his 33rd game of the season and was named the contest‘s first star.

Brown was especially good in the third when he made back-to-back stops on two Tri-City chances midway through the final frame. The Yorba Linda, Calif., native flashed out his glove to get a piece of an in-close wrister from Matt MacKenzie. Seconds later, he fired out the left pad to kick a Justin Feser shot to the corner, keeping the score 1-1 and setting the stage for Callahan‘s winner.

The Rockets improved to 39-26-0-1 with the win, and thanks to Chilliwack‘s 2-0 win in Vancouver, moved eight points ahead of the Giants in the B.C. Division pennant race.

It also brought the Rockets within five points of Tri-City in Western Conference standings.

"You always want to finish as high as you can, but we have to keep ourselves focused on winning our games," said Huska. "You can‘t control what other teams are going to do."

ICE CHIPS: Scratches for Kelowna were Mitchell Chapman, Jason Siebert, Brett Bulmer and Max Adolph. Scratches for Tri-City were Dylan Fluter, Adam Hughesman, Mason Wilgosh and Neal Prokop. . . . The Rockets are back in action this weekend playing a home-and-home series with the Kamloops Blazers. The two teams meet Friday in Kamloops and Saturday back in Kelowna, 7 p.m. at Prospera Place. . . . At Vancouver on Wednesday, Lucas Gore stopped 36 shots as the Bruins blanked the injury-riddled Giants 2-0 in a contest that featured more fighting than scoring with a combined 132 penalty minutes

Edited by newfy

callahan already with 2 fights so far and he's at it again:

"Mitch Callahan was given a five-minute boarding major and a game misconduct at 9:50 for a hit in the corner on Joe Stejskal that resulted in the defenseman leaving on a stretcher"

hopefully some video surfaces soon of this hit to see how bad it really was.

Never want to see a guy get hurt or taken off on a stretcher but dirty harry is really starting to make a name for himself in the AHL.

callahan already with 2 fights so far and he's at it again:

"Mitch Callahan was given a five-minute boarding major and a game misconduct at 9:50 for a hit in the corner on Joe Stejskal that resulted in the defenseman leaving on a stretcher"

hopefully some video surfaces soon of this hit to see how bad it really was.

Never want to see a guy get hurt or taken off on a stretcher but dirty harry is really starting to make a name for himself in the AHL.

I watched the gam. It was a weird hit, not dirty and I still dont get how the guy got as messed up as he did.

Callahan and Fitgerald are gong to be meeting up a few times in the Hamilton griffs games thhis year if I had to guess. Fitzgerald was trying to get to the penalty box to go after Callahan after the hit.

In 4 games this year hes only had one game where he didnt register a 5 minute major. Talk about a s*** disturbor

Edited by newfy