• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
I Red Wings I

Islanders Pascal Morency suspended indefinitely

Rate this topic

Although I dislike Phaneuf, I've got to say his hit was legal. He didn't leave his feet and didn't lift an elbow. If it was Kronwall doing that to someone, I'd have thought it was awesome, just like it was awesome when he leveled Havlat last year in the playoffs.

Now granted, I'm not saying I like to see guys get hurt. I don't at all, and its a shame that Okposo got rocked but... He should've had his head up. Every person that's played hockey in their lives over the age of 10 realizes that if you don't keep your head up, you're asking for it.

Morency is an idiot for leaving the bench, but again I can't blame him. I'm sure he probably thought both benches would empty and a brawl would start. Unfortunately he was the only moron who actually followed through with that thought.

Also... on a side note... LOL AT THEO FLEURY.

Hit was uncalled for in a preseason game especially since the kid had his head down. Celine Dion should go backed off.

Or maybe the other guy should have been paying attention.

I don't care when you are playing. You don't let up for one second on any play, during any game. I would think those who were fans back in 2002 would understand why you don't let off the gas during any part of the season.

Or maybe the other guy should have been paying attention.

I don't care when you are playing. You don't let up for one second on any play, during any game. I would think those who were fans back in 2002 would understand why you don't let off the gas during any part of the season.

Preseason vs Postseason. Big difference.

Do you think the kid knows about paying attention? He does not have a lot of experience at the NHL level under his belt.

Of course, someone will come back and say, hey, bet he will know to pay attention from now on.

Do you think the kid knows about paying attention? He does not have a lot of experience at the NHL level under his belt.

Of course, someone will come back and say, hey, bet he will know to pay attention from now on.

I won't say, "now he'll know to pay attention" because in reality, we all know that from now on he may use the incident as an example to keep his head up. However, when you play at a level such as the NHL, you either learn quick or someone teaches you.

Do we think the kid knows how to pay attention? I'm not quite sure why you're asking that. Shouldn't he? He's a professional. If I was not paying attention in my job, or the equivalent of doing so, I'd be repremanded or fired. Right? If it's his job to play, he should know what he's doing. Of course people make mistakes, but there is no sense is protecting him and stating that, "he doesn't know what he's doing yet." It's a learning process. Too bad he got hurt, but he didn't look up. Thats his fault, not Phaneuf's or the league's.

I agree with Doc Holiday. Preseason, season, or post season... In my eyes, the effort you put in is all the same. 110% effort every game from everyone is always expected. Thats how you win championships. It starts at the beginning. Just because it's the preseason doesn't mean it's the responsibility of the league to make players put on their tutus and avoid checking, hooking, slashing, hitting, and etc. players who don't have more than 82 games of experience.

I see your point, but I just respectfully disagree. He's a pro, he made a mistake, and citing his inexperience in the league I don't think is really a valid excuse for everyone jumping on the "PHANEUF IS MEAN AND THE LEAGUE SHOULDN'T ALLOW THIS IN THE PRESEASON!" bandwagon. I think thats a bit ridiculous.

*EDIT - Titus is hilarious.

Edited by Lamothe

It's not like we're talking about the all-star game here. I'm not a big Phaneuf fan, but that was a clean hit and in the pre-season, though the games don't count for points, there are guys fighting for lineup spots and ice time. They do have meaning.

I don't think Morency deserves too severe a punishment given they were changing lines, especially considering what the league lets go, but I'm also sick of all the fights that break out after a clean hit.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

He was shoved from behind and knocked off balance. That doesn't make the hit illegal or anything, but it wasn't a case of him being careless. He got tag-teamed into the freight train.

This. People are saying Okposo should have kept his head up, but did you even watch the video? He got checked/pushed from behind into the hit. And as far as the "never let up, no matter when you're playing"... why? Post-season counts for NOTHING to a guy who's #1 on the depth chart. If Pheaneuf was a guy like Pardy, Giordano, etc on the bubble or trying to move up, I could see it. Maybe he's trying to remind people that he's #1 with the move to Bouwmeester.

Either way, he's a ******... he can easily take over biggest ****** in the universe from John Edwards.

It's not like we're talking about the all-star game here. I'm not a big Phaneuf fan, but that was a clean hit and in the pre-season, though the games don't count for points, there are guys fighting for lineup spots and ice time. They do have meaning.

I agree. It was a clean hit and guys are fighting for a spot/ice time. Yet at the same time Phanuef is a lock and is not fighting for a roster spot.

I just think some of these hits where the guys are off balance and have their heads down are where a lot of injuries take place.

Edited by Rivalred

Actually it was during the regular season, and it bit them in the ass later on.

If Phaneuf wants to show people he is a force on the ice, he should do it immediately. Not during the season. Not whenever people think it is acceptable. Right now.

And if the kid has played hockey, he would know what it is to pay attention.

I'm sick of this "its only pre-season, so it's like a throwaway game for the regulars". f*** that. It is a way to get in the groove before the games actually count against you. Phaneuf is getting into his regular form so he can try to compete for the Norris again and show the Flames and the NHL why he was nominated in the first place.

I agree. It was a clean hit and guys are fighting for a spot/ice time. Yet at the same time Phanuef is a lock and is not fighting for a roster spot.

I just think some of these hits where the guys are off balance and have their heads down are where a lot of injuries take place.

Definitely. But Phaneuf was lining him up before his teammate knocked him off balance. It's an unfortunate hit because he was off balance, but it happens so fast I can't really expect Phaneuf to change his plan because of what his teammate did a second earlier.

The hit didnt look dirty but it was way more than what is called for in the preseason, especially from someone who is already established in the NHL and isnt looking to impress anyone. I can completely understand Morency losing control and just going after him to avenge such a significant player on their team. Suspending him indefinitely seems like way more than what was called for.

It's a legal/clean hit, but I tihnk Phaneuf should have shown better judgement. He already got knocked off balance and his head has below Phaneuf's shoulders, And it was the preseason.

It was a great hit though. It's too bad you have ******* in the NHL who cry when a legal check is thrown.

Exactly. Hockey is a collison sport. s*** happens, and a lot of it is nasty. Of course Phaneuf should have hit him and exactly the way he did, too. There was absolutely nothing wrong with that hit. It was text book D.

Yes, the dude got pushed off balance right into Pahnuef's hit. Ouch. But thats hockey. Any of you ever actually played it? WTF?

How many highlight videos have you kids watched with guys scoring while they are flying thru the air off balance? Well, hit that f***** and he won't being scoring that goal, will he?

Edited by T.Low

Guest micah
It was a great hit though. It's too bad you have ******* in the NHL who cry when a legal check is thrown.

What are their names, these criers?