• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Konnan511

The plan for Johan Franzen?

Rate this topic

Detroit News

You ask the Wings about compensating for the loss of high-end players Marian Hossa, Jiri Hudler and Mikael Samuelsson and invariably you will hear two remedies:

1) The Wings will have to shore up the defense and penalty-kill unit -- the theory being if you don't yield as many goals, you don't have to score as many.

2) There will be talk about getting more production from younger players such as Darren Helm, Ville Leino and Justin Abdelkader as well as getting more from returnee Valtteri Filppula and free-agent signees Todd Bertuzzi and Jason Williams.

What you don't often hear is that the departure of those three players creates more ice time and opportunity for a proven scorer like Johan Franzen. Franzen's goal production has climbed in each of the last three seasons -- from 10 to 27 to 34. Who's to say he can't score 40 this season?

"I want to take a step forward, that's for sure," said Franzen, whose role could be expanded to being on the No. 1 power-play unit this year. "I don't know exactly what my role will be but so far I seem to be more free, with a role on the power play.I just have to keep working on my shot and on getting open and trying to bury pucks when I get a chance. Because I think I am going to get a lot of chances."

First round fantasy hockey pick? Top-15 pick?

I think Franzen will score 40-45 as long as he plays 80+ games. Last year he was on pace for 39 goals if he didn't miss games and this year he'll have a bigger role.

I'm not expecting it, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him score 50. The stars would have to align and he'd have to go on one of his patented HOT streaks, but it's possible.

Edited by digitaljohn88

The past two seasons he has averaged .43 GPG in the regular season and .64 GPG in the playoffs.

Which puts him anywhere between 35 and 52 goals over 82 games.

It will definitely be interesting to see where he ends up.

Hire Downey as his personal trainer. Downey has a job. Franzen learns to fight. Everyone wins.

Or he can just act like Hank and Flip and avoid those situations altogether.

I'm just tired of seeing him trying to act tough, and when someone challenges him, he dives and turtles. That backhanded slap Getzlaf gave him in the playoffs is still embedded in my mind.

He's too cold when he's cold, that's what makes me think he can't score 50 goals. But when he's hot, he's red hot. If he could have one or two 20 game streaks during the season like he has in the playoffs, with like 15 goals in each, he could reach 40 easily.

I'm sure he's quite concerned about that....

Oh I'm sure he's not. He seems to actually enjoy flopping around and embarassing himself during these altercations.

Maybe you and some of his teammates don't mind, but there are fans and players alike who find some of that behavior embarassing.

I don't think star players should necessarily fight, but if he's going to act like tough s***, he should be more willing to back it up. Either way, he can't keep diving around the ice and turtling. He winds up looking like an idiot. It doesn't reflect well on the team either.

Oh I'm sure he's not. He seems to actually enjoy flopping around and embarassing himself during these altercations.

Maybe you and some of his teammates don't mind, but there are fans and players alike who find some of that behavior embarassing.

I don't think star players should necessarily fight, but if he's going to act like tough s***, he should be more willing to back it up. Either way, he can't keep diving around the ice and turtling. He winds up looking like an idiot. It doesn't reflect well on the team either.

lol

Who the f*** is this guy?

Well, I highly doubt he's worried about it.

He's not paid to please fans and players alike first and foremost. He's paid first/foremost to help the team win, and that's by scoring goals first/foremost in all likelihood.

Just something you're going to have to live with. I think you put too much unnecessary emphasis on this.

lol

Someone who's calling out Franzen for diving and flopping like he did against Getzlaf and Vandermeeer.

You know who I am, so don't give me that s***. I didn't say anything untruthful in my post.

If you don't like it, then tough s***.

Well, I highly doubt he's worried about it.

He's not paid to please fans and players alike first and foremost. He's paid first/foremost to help the team win, and that's by scoring goals first/foremost in all likelihood.

Just something you're going to have to live with. I think you put too much unnecessary emphasis on this.

I don't see Hank, Pavel or Cleary doing some of this stuff. I understand that he's not a tough guy, so what I'm saying is that he needs to stop acting like it, because when someone does finally call his bluff, he winds up looking like a fool.

There's nothing graceful about diving or turtling, and I don't like it when players like him tend to give the entire team a reputation for diving. Reminds me of a certain team that I hate.

Edited by GMRwings1983

I don't see Hank, Pavel or Cleary doing some of this stuff. I understand that he's not a tough guy, so what I'm saying is that he needs to stop acting like it, because when someone does finally call his bluff, he winds up looking like a fool.

Well, he probably does give much kahoots about it, he knows the game he plays, and this seems to only get to a few minute people on here. It's not really that big of a deal as some make it out to be.

Well, he probably does give much kahoots about it, he knows the game he plays, and this seems to only get to a few minute people on here. It's not really that big of a deal as some make it out to be.

It's not just him, there are others, and the league is full of them. I just don't like players who engage in that behavior.

In his case, he happens to be a very good player and a Red Wing, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt for it. I dislike it when players dive, talk s*** without backing it up, or turtle during altercations.

Detroit News

First round fantasy hockey pick? Top-15 pick?

I wouldn't take him that early, but he's definitely worth picking in the 2nd round.

I'll be shocked if he doesn't hit 40 goals, but I doubt he'd get much more than 45 this season. If Franzen can hit 45 goals this season we're golden... that will depend largely on his ability to stay healthy and develop sufficient chemistry on the first line (and of course in that scenario he'd have to be playing with Datsyuk or Zetterberg).

lol

Franzen is awesome for his clutch ways but I just don't ever want to see him try to act tough. It is embarrassing. Getzlaf, a player who is like 8 or 7 years younger, had to tell him to get the F up off the ice and stop acting like a wuss. Not the best way to get the affection of Red Wings fans.

Someone who's calling out Franzen for diving and flopping like he did against Getzlaf and Vandermeeer.

You know who I am, so don't give me that s***. I didn't say anything untruthful in my post.

If you don't like it, then tough s***.

Why would I have any idea who you are?

Guest micah
It's not just him, there are others, and the league is full of them. I just don't like players who engage in that behavior.

In his case, he happens to be a very good player and a Red Wing, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt for it. I dislike it when players dive, talk s*** without backing it up, or turtle during altercations.

Who knows, Fran might come back a little tougher this year. Being laughed at by Getzlaf (a superior hockey player) is one thing, but when the local official even chuckles at your chickens*** routine, you think you'd change your game a bit. Many great brave men have shed their blood for the winged wheel. I'd like to see Fran take it a bit more seriously.

Guest micah
Franzen is awesome for his clutch ways but I just don't ever want to see him try to act tough. It is embarrassing. Getzlaf, a player who is like 8 or 7 years younger, had to tell him to get the F up off the ice and stop acting like a wuss. Not the best way to get the affection of Red Wings fans.

Crap, **** beat me to the punch.

Can I call you "****"?

Why would I have any idea who you are?

Because I didn't join this site today, just for the purpose of making fun of your favorite player.

Take off your homer glasses from time to time. Yeah, your boy Franzen dives and acts like a ***** too often. His offensive talent doesn't excuse some of his unnecessary behavior.

Way to stay on topic :thumbup:

Yeah, sorry Konnan the thread is gone now. It's the running theme around these parts.

Anyway since it's already turned over in a ditch... Franzen should keep doing what he's doing, he draws penalties and is physical enough to back it up when it matters (between the whistles).

All of the other nonsense (and it's not always nonsense) can read the signature.