• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Lamothe

ESPN.com Sucks

Rate this topic

So, I don't know how many of you visit espn's website on a regular basis, but in their NHL section every SINGLE one of the polls over the past 3 months has been some bulls*** about Crosby. Oh, or sometimes Ovechkin. Or my favorite, both.

For instance, lets look at todays:

What would be better for the NHL?

[ ] Sydney Crosby winning back to back titles.

[ ] Alex Ovechkin evening the title count at one.

I don't mean to sound biased, but it really gets to me when every other NHL website I go to has some crap about these two. Don't get me wrong, they're amazing players and I did vote for them in the running "Top 20 players in the NHL" thread, but am I the only one who thinks that we need a little variety here?

And how would either player winning a title be in any way "better" for the NHL than some other franchise with some other star player?

A more appropriate question could've been, "Will Phil Kessel propel the Toronto Maple Leafs to the playoffs this year?" or "Will Heatley's pressence on the Sharks finally enable them to reach a Stanley Cup Final?" I'm not a 'poll generating author' for ESPN, but my God... My entire summer was filled with this crap.

Anyway, just something that annoyed me that I decided to share.

Guest micah
So, I don't know how many of you visit espn's website on a regular basis, but in their NHL section every SINGLE one of the polls over the past 3 months has been some bulls*** about Crosby. Oh, or sometimes Ovechkin. Or my favorite, both.

I don't mean to sound biased, but it really gets to me when every other NHL website I go to has some crap about these two. Don't get me wrong, they're amazing players and I did vote for them in the running "Top 20 players in the NHL" thread, but am I the only one who thinks that we need a little variety here?

And how would either player winning a title be in any way "better" for the NHL than some other franchise with some other star player?

A more appropriate question could've been, "Will Phil Kessel propel the Toronto Maple Leafs to the playoffs this year?" or "Will Heatley's pressence on the Sharks finally enable them to reach a Stanley Cup Final?" I'm not a 'poll generating author' for ESPN, but my God... My entire summer was filled with this crap.

I'm not convinced that people who go to ESPN for hockey news know who Heatley or Kessel are.

Pitt just won a Cup, and Ovechkin is one of the main people being marketed by the NHL right now. It's gonna be this way for a wihle in all likelihood across plenty of sites, not just ESPN.com. Nothing really new to report. Plenty of sites are going to be biased in one way or another.

to me its worse when they try to report on the NHL on sportcenter and cannot pronounce a single name properly. I remember last year when they tried to say khabibulin... it was something line 'ka-ha-bibb-you-lynn'... embarrassing.

to me its worse when they try to report on the NHL on sportcenter and cannot pronounce a single name properly. I remember last year when they tried to say khabibulin... it was something line 'ka-ha-bibb-you-lynn'... embarrassing.

I just hate how annoying their ads are that keep taking over the screen. I read they redesigned their page, mostly to increase the ability to do more of those types of ads.

don't go to espn.com

problem solved!

Nothing new here.

I've been saying they've sucked for years, and I'm still on a 1.5-year boycott of all things four-letter network related products, not just the website.

C'mon aboard. There's lots of room on this bandwagon.

Guest CaliWingsNut
Nothing new here.

I've been saying they've sucked for years, and I'm still on a 1.5-year boycott of all things four-letter network related products, not just the website.

Your not alone...

Don't own a TV... watch games at bars or online (legally if possible).

Nothing new here.

I usually use TSN and ESPN to read articles or whatever in my spare time... But God, I've lost it with ESPN.

I'm on that bandwagon, for sure.

I avoid reading the polls, or the hockey section there in general. I usually just go to ESPN for College Football on my work comp cause for some reason FoxSports crashes my internet browser on our network here... So my time there is at a minimal especially since they are on a USC rage EVEN when they lose. Or the whole Boise State is great when they play ABSOLUTELY NO ONE!

ESPN is pretty much garbage for the most part, although some analysts they have on Sports center I give props to, like Schlereth, the guy is usually right and kinda goes against what most of the other 'panel' says unless he goes first then they just follow suite of what he says.

There that was my mini rant.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
I'm not convinced that people who go to ESPN for hockey news know who Heatley or Kessel are.

BINGO!

All of my friends who like sports but not necessarily hockey, have heard of AO and Crosby. They'd have no idea who the hell Kessel or Heatley or Toews or Spezza or Lecavalier are.

We have to face facts, the league wants Crosby/AO to be its Bird/Magic and they're not going to stop riding this pony anytime soon.

Hockey fans know exactly where to go to get scoop on not only their favorite team/players, but also other teams' message boards, prospect sites, etc......Hockey fans know what's up. And they don't go to ESPN.com for hockey coverage. s***....I don't even go to NHL.com for hockey coverage.

Why would I? It's going to be 90% Crosby, 5% AO, 5% the rest of the league.

f*** all that.

BINGO!

All of my friends who like sports but not necessarily hockey, have heard of AO and Crosby. They'd have no idea who the hell Kessel or Heatley or Toews or Spezza or Lecavalier are.

We have to face facts, the league wants Crosby/AO to be its Bird/Magic and they're not going to stop riding this pony anytime soon.

Hockey fans know exactly where to go to get scoop on not only their favorite team/players, but also other teams' message boards, prospect sites, etc......Hockey fans know what's up. And they don't go to ESPN.com for hockey coverage. s***....I don't even go to NHL.com for hockey coverage.

Why would I? It's going to be 90% Crosby, 5% AO, 5% the rest of the league.

f*** all that.

Could be that ESPN not reporting on those players is the reason why your friends and non-hockey fans dont know who they are.

Nothing new here.

I take it you don't watch college football then? Look, ESPN is a business and it's their job to give their customers what they want. It's not their job to promote hockey.

Sadly, most of their customers would rather watch poker than hockey. So that's what ESPN gives them.

As a businessman I can totally understand why they dropped hockey after the lockout.

I think ESPN does a great job of covering college and pro sports, just not hockey because they haven't seen the demand for it. Whose fault is that?

I do watch college football, just not on that Mickey Mouse network.

The network's business decision, my decision to boycott it. That's the great thing about a free country.

But I totally disagree with you regarding the four-letter's coverage of sports. Fox Sports does a much better job in my opinion. Fox had a much better highlight show which showed highlights of nearly all games, not just some.

To me, the bigger frustration is that hockey coverage overall has declined. First we were reduced to watching VS, now you cannot get it if you have Direct TV. If that wasn't enough, my roomies have decided to get ultra-basic cable, so I'm pretty much limited to watching when NBC covers it, camping out in sports bars or watching over the net on my dinosaur computer.

I think I share a lot of the same problems that everyone else has with ESPN. Heaven help you if you're not a Yankees/Red Sox fan during baseball season, but that's another rant for another day, and as I said earlier, I don't even get ESPN, so griping about them is wasted effort.

It's definitely going to be a challenge to stay in the loop with hockey this season, but at least I have the internet.