• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Cruiser008

Still not over it...

Rate this topic

I dunno what the sentiment is among the rest of the people here at LGW, but I'm still not over last season's SCF. The cynic in me thinks that the league tried everything they could to hand over the cup to Pittsburgh on a silver platter, from moving the series up a week to not suspending Malkin for instigating a fight at the end of Game 2. Now all the hockey preview magazines seem to have Crosby (or occasionally Malkin) on the cover which is an instant turn-off. What's more all the Penguin-love disgusts me given the fact that they just may be the most undeserving Stanley Cup champion in the history of hockey (since they were essentially gifted all those 1st and 2nd overall picks, 4 of them, due to sucking so badly for so long).

Yesterday I was watching the Leafs broadcast (I live around Toronto) and they said that the Leafs hosting the stanley cup champions and for a split second there I was like whoa Detroit?! Then my mind snapped back to reality and I had to change the channel. :thumbdown:

Rant over

Ya, I'm still not okay with what hapenned last year, knowing we had the better team and lost. I dont understand why crosby and malkin must be the heroes in the nhl, when datsyuk and zetterberg are just as good/exciting. But I'm not that upset because whenever some smartass rips me for my wings losing last year, i always say "we'll see what happens next year". We have the better team this year too, we should win.

Wings won in Pits and then Pits won it in Det. Yeah, the series went south and the games we dominated the games we won - but like others stated - the Wings were injured, burnt out, and worn down.

Can no "go" when the gas tank is empty:

Maybe we'll never fully get over it, sometimes I still shudder if I see Cup winning commercials of Pitt on NHL Net or whatever, but life goes on, need to stop sulking about it eventually.

For me it stings that the Wings had two chances to put the series away and didn't. It has nothing to do with the other team, or perhaps NHL higher ups wanting the Penguins to win.

And playing the conspiracy game, I'm sorry, I just don't do that. People may have "wanted" the Penguins to win or "rooted" for them, but to say the league "pulled strings" for them to win, I can't go there (yes I get the Malkin deal, and that the refs didn't see too many men on the ice in game 3 or 4, etc.). Cynicism and conspiracy theories are a waste of time to me, they are nothing but a bunch of what if scenarios that will never be determined. The attention that Pittsburgh and Crosby/Malkin gets is definitely over the top at times, that's a given, but it doesn't really bother me.

The Wings has 2 chances to put it away, and they didn't, after the stuff above that people might be fishy abut or whatever. It has nothing to do with Pittsburgh or Bettman or Crosby/Malkin, and everything to do with Detroit not being able to close the deal.

Once the week started after game 7 life was back to normal for me. Again, will never forget the loss, but am able to live with it and stuff.

Not that it matters in terms of who took home the Cup last season, but the NHL know which team people really care about, who really love hockey.

Red Wings sell merchandise, that they know! Look who is on the cover of the brand new shopNHL Fall catalog.

Not Crosby or Malkin ... but the real stars of the NHL!

SHOPNHLCOMCOVERWINGS092209.jpg

Edited by puckloo39

I'm still not over it, for sure. Everytime I think about it, it sucks. ONE GOAL. Wings just were way too banged up to make it. Its unfortunate. Especially after Game 5, I thought the Wings were a lock. But they couldn't pull it off.

I hate to conspiracy theorize, but lets face it, we all know Bettman and the NHL powers that be wanted the Penguins to beat the Wings, there is no doubt about that. As far as full out pulling strings, I doubt that highly, outside of the game Malkin was supposed to be AUTOMATICALLY suspended from. Other than that, it was just injuries and the Hal Gill factor, aka the ability to see every minor bump by a Red Wing while overlooking the mugging Gill threw on Wings players everytime they entered the zone.

In the end, I'm still irritated the Wings lost it for themselves, but the NHL certainly greased the hinges for the Penguins.

i got over it about a day after the game. c'mon guys what is the point of sulking all summer over hockey? when i thought about the wings this summer it was with excitement over young guys like ericsson and helm getting to be part of the team.

and personally i could care less about the penguins. in my opinion they didn't win the series, detroit lost it with their subpar play. i am not threatened as a fan by their team. i am still worried a lot more by teams in the west than the crappy penguins. at least now that they have a cup, the rest of the nhl can get on with their lives and stop hearing about how long it will take cindy to make it to the top.

and p.s. - pretty much the rest of the league's fans think that the wings benefit from a league conspiracy to help us win, so i find it ironic when people try to play that card for the pens. its an equally absurd concept no matter which way you look at it.

EDIT: also i am pretty sure they put different covers on the catalog depending on which team is your favorite... pretty much every catalog i have ever got from the nhl shop has had wings on the cover.

Edited by dobbles

Still bugs me to think about it... simply because the manner in which they lost.

Up 2-0 in the series, losing 4 out of the last 5 games... up 3-2 with two chances to end it... The Samuelsson breakaway post, Zetterberg move post, Cleary breakaway stop, etc....

I'm pretty much over it now but every once and a while I get reminded and have that soured feeling....

I dunno what the sentiment is among the rest of the people here at LGW, but I'm still not over last season's SCF. The cynic in me thinks that the league tried everything they could to hand over the cup to Pittsburgh on a silver platter, from moving the series up a week to not suspending Malkin for instigating a fight at the end of Game 2. Now all the hockey preview magazines seem to have Crosby (or occasionally Malkin) on the cover which is an instant turn-off. What's more all the Penguin-love disgusts me given the fact that they just may be the most undeserving Stanley Cup champion in the history of hockey (since they were essentially gifted all those 1st and 2nd overall picks, 4 of them, due to sucking so badly for so long).

Yesterday I was watching the Leafs broadcast (I live around Toronto) and they said that the Leafs hosting the stanley cup champions and for a split second there I was like whoa Detroit?! Then my mind snapped back to reality and I had to change the channel. :thumbdown:

Rant over

Let's be fair, they are Stanley Cup champions are should be on all the sports covers. But, we all know that even had they lost they'd still be on all the sporst covers.

As for them being undeserving, I don't know. They outplayed the Wings a lot during the series. That being said, they could only barely scrape up a slim Game 7 win against a Wings team that was tired, seriously injured, and not playing with a lot of heart. Because of that I think it's clear the Wings were the better team, and if they were to meet up and both be healthy the Wings would take that series.

I don't want to say they didn't deserve to win, but they certainly weren't considerably better than the Wings even when the Wings were injured.

Seriously? It's been three months, it is time to move on with your lives, the Wings had a 3-2 series and a ton of momentum and they squandered it away and lost a game 7 at home. They choked, plain and simple; you can blame it on injuries or the NHL "rigging" the series or saying that Pitt didn't deserve it, or whatever else lets you sleep at night but in doing that you are whining and making excuses just like all of you constantly criticize Crosby for doing...don't be hypocrites just accept the fact that The Penguins name is going on the Cup for the 08-09 season and Detroit's is not, period.

Still bugs me to think about it... simply because the manner in which they lost.

Up 2-0 in the series, losing 4 out of the last 5 games... up 3-2 with two chances to end it... The Samuelsson breakaway post, Zetterberg move post, Cleary breakaway stop, etc....

I'm pretty much over it now but every once and a while I get reminded and have that soured feeling....

This. And I'd like to add that the severe injuries this team had add to the sourness for me. If Rafalski wasn't skating with a damaged back all series Staal wouldn't have made him look like a chump. If Lidstrom's testicles weren't stitched closed and thus each stride wasn't painful when he skated he'd have looked more like Lidstrom out there. If Datsyuk wasn't sporting two leg injuries life would've been much much better. Cleary and Holmstrom were injured and didn't grind like they normally do... the list of things goes on. :lol: Even Ericsson was out there with at least three injuries.

I'm the same way. It was a very bitter pill to swallow but I've come to the realization that Pittsburgh wanted it more. We had more talent and its not like we didnt want it but they just had more desire. Im also from Halifax, Nova Scotia which is basically the Mecca of Cindy Crosby so I have had to endure even more. A long summer indeed.....

You know what is more annoying than knowing the Wings were two goals away from winning the cup?

People reminding me about it every couple of weeks.

Just ******* let it go guys. We lost. It's a new season. Detroit has yet another shot to hoist the cup this year.

For God's sake, it's September 23rd. Time to move on already. It sucked. However it sucked then, and it's not then anymore. This isn't the first time we've lost in the Cup Finals and it probably won't be the last. That doesn't mean we still need to dwell on it and be upset about it and hang on to it like a death in the family. It's okay to say you're over it and you're ready for the new season to start. Really.

Rant over

I've picked up about 2 or 3 review magazines with either Zetterberg or Datsyuk on the cover...

They usually place the wings at least in the top four and one of them "The Hockey News" I think predicted them to win it.

The wings still get respect and were simply tired out by a looooong playoff run last year, not to mention sub par defense (thats my theory)

This year will be the most exciting year to watch...why worry about last year?

Enjoy the young blood coming up and get ready to watch many more deep playoff runs in the future!

its no question that the wings were out of gas, they were beaten to a bloody pulp by the time game 7 was here. but the officiating is to blame. if you honestly don't believe that there was a double standard when it came to late hits and interference (not to mention to many men on the ice) then your a homer penguins fan. the wings are good enough to play through pentaly trouble, but the thing was all the late hits and interference(some of which were the most violent head checks sticks to the face and ribs and limbs) were what torn everyone apart and took the energy out of everyone. i seriously fear for some of our all stars long term future after seeing the abuse the refs allowed. some of them im sure still have sore backs or tweeked wrists from all the bull s***.

Believe it or not I have not seen a single picture of Sissy Crosby or the rest of the Penguins holding the Cup, near the Cup or any photo related to that painful night back in June. It is the first time in my life that I've purposely stayed very far away from any hockey related material all summer.

Being a Wings fan all my life, I like most of you have been through some hellish times and some teary eyed nights. I prefer to NOT think or be reminded of anything Cup related to last year. Conspiracy or not, I believe in my heart the NHL wanted nothing more than to have the Pens win it last year. So the end result took a big piece out of me.

Let's move on. We have a long season ahead. And the cupboard, while not bare, looks to be a little more empty than it has been it awhile. I personally dislike a few moves Holland gas made so far - especially bringing Bertuzzi back. He plays with no heart, injured or not and he is looking for a paycheck and that seems to he all. Williams?? What can I say??

But this is the time for optimism and as long as Marion and Mike are leading the way, I'm confident our team is still on track for another successful season - which to me includes a Cup. I'm very happy that they see nothing good in finishing second place and the only successful season is a Cup winning one. That's a mentality I haven't seen pretty much anywhere else in sports.

Let's start with a good opener overseas and see where we go.

Go Wings!!!

Believe it or not I have not seen a single picture of Sissy Crosby or the rest of the Penguins holding the Cup, near the Cup or any photo related to that painful night back in June. It is the first time in my life that I've purposely stayed very far away from any hockey related material all summer.

Being a Wings fan all my life, I like most of you have been through some hellish times and some teary eyed nights. I prefer to NOT think or be reminded of anything Cup related to last year. Conspiracy or not, I believe in my heart the NHL wanted nothing more than to have the Pens win it last year. So the end result took a big piece out of me.

Let's move on. We have a long season ahead. And the cupboard, while not bare, looks to be a little more empty than it has been it awhile. I personally dislike a few moves Holland gas made so far - especially bringing Bertuzzi back. He plays with no heart, injured or not and he is looking for a paycheck and that seems to he all. Williams?? What can I say??

But this is the time for optimism and as long as Marion and Mike are leading the way, I'm confident our team is still on track for another successful season - which to me includes a Cup. I'm very happy that they see nothing good in finishing second place and the only successful season is a Cup winning one. That's a mentality I haven't seen pretty much anywhere else in sports.

Let's start with a good opener overseas and see where we go.

Go Wings!!!

I agree, whats the point in dwelling over bad calls and crappy outcomes...

I'm still bummed that the Wings were this------->ll<-------close to overcoming some of the most ridiculous s*** I have ever seen (key injuries to key players, no rest between the WCF and SCF, back to back games in the SCF (!?!?), free 6 on 5 for about a minute twenty, etc, etc) and fell just short.

No team has balls like the Wings.

Edited by Broken 16