• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
StevieY'sguy

Each Organization's Flagship Player

Rate this topic

I was bored so I decided to make a list of one or two players in the history of each organization that is the pride of that organization. Not necessarily the best players ever on for each team but a player who is the first one to come to one's mind when thinking about the history of an organization, in most cases players have spent most or at least the best years of their career with this team. See what you guys think!

Anaheim- Paul Kariya

Atlanta- Ilya Kovalchuk

Boston- Bobby Orr

Buffalo- Gilbert Perreault

Calgary- Jarome Iginla

Carolina/Hartford- Ron Francis

Chicago- Bobby Hull

Colorado - Joe Sakic

Columbus- Rick Nash

Dallas- Mike Modano

Detroit- Steve Yzerman (neck and neck with Gordie in my mind but got the edge because Gordie played a yearw/ Hartford)

Edmonton- Wayne Gretzky

Florida- John Vanbiesbrouck

Los Angeles- Marcel Dionne

Minnesota- Marian Gaborik

Montreal- Maurice Richard

Nashville- David Legwand

New Jersey- Martin Brodeur

New York Islanders- Mike Bossy/ Bryan Trottier

New York Rangers- Mark Messier

Ottawa- Daniel Alfredsson

Philly- Bobby Clarke

Phoenix/Winnipeg- Dale Hawerchuk

Pittsburgh- Mario Lemieux

San Jose- Owen Nolan

St. Louis- Brett Hull

Tampa Bay- Vincent Lecavalier

Toronto- Dave Keon

Vancouver- Trevor Linden

Washington- Rod Langway/ Peter Bondra

Gordie Howe has to be the Detroit choice. As someone on the Philly radio broadcast of last night's game said-- Howe was the Babe Ruth of hockey.

EDIT:

I'd also change the Calgary choice to Fluery since he was so critical to their only cup win and he also has the best PPG ratio.

Edited by Drake_Marcus

I'd also change the Calgary choice to Fluery since he was so critical to their only cup win and he also has the best PPG ratio.

Fleury was a rookie the year they won the cup I believe, he wasn't that crutial. There were far more important players that year, like Gilmour, Mullen, Otto, etc. THE most important player in their cup run was MacInnis and he's my pick for them. He had 31 pts that playoff season (compare that to Fleury's 11).

Fleury's ppg stat with Calgary is only slightly better than MacInnis's, but MacInnis is also a defenseman. However, the best ppg in team history was probably Nilsson.

For Chicago, I'd throw Stan Mikita's name out there, he played a lot of years with them and I believe he never played anywhere else. Him and Hull played around the same time and I believe Mikita edges him in both points and awards, although both have a lot of each. Also, Hull wasn't there as long and played elsewhere.

id say Gordie Howe for detroit

Rod Gilbert for NY, mess came to NY in the latter half of his career, won one cup, and otherwise helmed a series of dissapointing teams loaded with talent.

I might do Selanne over Kariya.

For Washington i'd have to go with Ovechkin. No player has ever meant more to that organization than he does now, and after that contract he signed, he is going to be with them for a long time.

How about doing a list of current players/teams. Nowadays it seems like a lot of teams have more than one star franchise player.

You might consider Ratelle or Leetch as the better "Ranger", although Messier was the best all-time of the bunch.

Also, Ovechkin is close to already being the best Capital.

Maybe Hasek as the best Sabre.

The list was very good, though, and hard to debate against. :thumbup:

Guest Lidstromboli

i think mikko koviu will probably end up being minnesota's flagship player after some time

Fleury was a rookie the year they won the cup I believe, he wasn't that crutial. There were far more important players that year, like Gilmour, Mullen, Otto, etc. THE most important player in their cup run was MacInnis and he's my pick for them. He had 31 pts that playoff season (compare that to Fleury's 11).

Fleury's ppg stat with Calgary is only slightly better than MacInnis's, but MacInnis is also a defenseman. However, the best ppg in team history was probably Nilsson.

For Chicago, I'd throw Stan Mikita's name out there, he played a lot of years with them and I believe he never played anywhere else. Him and Hull played around the same time and I believe Mikita edges him in both points and awards, although both have a lot of each. Also, Hull wasn't there as long and played elsewhere.

Didn't he score a series winning goal or something like that? Whatever, I'm not an expert on Calgary. I'd have said Lanny McDonald because he's so damn cool, but he played for Colorado and the Leafs as well, so it probably wouldn't fly.

Anaheim - Paul Kariya / J.S. Giguere

Atlanta - Ilya Kovalchuk

Boston - Bobby Orr / Eddie Shore

Buffalo - Gilbert Perreault / Pat LaFontaine

Calgary - Jarome Iginla / Lanny McDonald

Carolina/Hartford - Ron Francis

Chicago - Bobby Hull / Glenn Hall

Cleveland / Oakland - Ted Hampson

Colorado - Joe Sakic / Patrick Roy

Columbus - Rick Nash

Dallas / Minnesota - Mike Modano

Detroit - Gordie Howe / Steve Yzerman

Edmonton - Wayne Gretzky / Mark Messier

Florida - John Vanbiesbrouck / Roberto Luongo

Los Angeles - Wayne Gretzky / Marcel Dionne

Minnesota - Marian Gaborik

Montreal - Maurice Richard / Guy Lafleur

Nashville - David Legwand

New Jersey / Colorado / Kansas City - Martin Brodeur / Scott Stevens

New York Islanders - Mike Bossy / Denis Potvin

New York Rangers - Mark Messier / Jean Ratelle

Ottawa - Daniel Alfredsson

Philadelphia - Bobby Clarke / Eric Lindros

Phoenix / Winnipeg - Dale Hawerchuk / Keith Tkachuk

Pittsburgh - Mario Lemieux / Sidney Crosby

San Jose - Owen Nolan / Joe Thornton

St. Louis - Chris Pronger / Brett Hull

Tampa Bay - Vincent Lecavalier / Martin St. Louis

Toronto - Darryl Sittler / Syl Apps

Vancouver - Trevor Linden / Pavel Bure

Washington - Alex Ovechkin / Peter Bondra

You might consider Ratelle or Leetch as the better "Ranger", although Messier was the best all-time of the bunch.

Also, Ovechkin is close to already being the best Capital.

Maybe Hasek as the best Sabre.

The list was very good, though, and hard to debate against. :thumbup:

Thank you, as for all of the suggestions, most of the ones that have been suggested i had thought about and had some tough decisions to make but i tried to keep it down to one for most of the teams. Calgary, NYR, Toronto, Montreal and Detroit were probably the hardest decisions for me.

Calgary for me was a toss up between MacInnis, Fleury, Mcdonald and Iginla with some thought of Vernon but in the end I gave it to Iginla on the tiebreaker that he's played there his entire career.

The Rangers was neck and neck for me between Leetch and Messier, they both played a big part in the Rangers Cup win and although cheap because Leetch played there longer, I gave it to Messier because in the ECF he said he would score a hat trick against the Devils and he actually did it, which in my mind is one of the most improbable moments in hockey lol.

Toronto- I gave it to Keon over Dougie Gilmour because Keon won a Conn Smythe and 4 cups, while Gilmour didn't win any during his time there.

Montreal i wavered between The Rocket, Beliveau, and Lafleur...Jean had the most Cups, Guy had the most goals but Maurice was really the first "It" player in NHL history so that's why i decided on him.

Detroit- I really should have put Gordie on there, to be honest even I am critical of my reasoning that he played a year with the Whalers, in retrospect i would like to add Gordie to the list.

Also as far as Ovechkin goes I agree that if i were to do this list again in 2-3 years barring something catastrophic he would be the Capitals representative but Bondra stayed with the Capitals through 15 mostly crappy years and i respect him for that, his edge in years barely beat out Ovie...although that won't be the case for long.

I just made a list and put the first person from each team that popped into my head.

Anaheim - Chris Pronger

Atlanta - Ilya Kovalchuk

Boston - Cam Neely

Buffalo - Alexander Mogilny

Calgary - Theo Fluery

Carolina/Hartford - Chris Pronger

Chicago - Jeremy Roenick

Colorado - Joe Sakic

Columbus - Rick Nash

Detroit - Steve Yzerman

Edmonton - Wayne Gretzky

Florida - John Vanbiesbrouck

Los Angeles - Wayne Gretzky

Montreal - Patrick Roy

New Jersey - Scott Stevens

New York Islanders - Brian Trottier

New York Rangers - Brian Leech

Ottawa - Alexi Yashin

Philadelphia - Eric Lindros

Phoenix / Winnipeg - Keith Tkachuk

Pittsburgh - Mario Lemieux

San Jose - Owen Nolan

St. Louis - Brett Hull

Tampa Bay - Martin St. Louis

Toronto - Doug Gilmour

Vancouver - Trevor Linden

Washington - Alex Ovechkin

Edited by Broken 16

I agree about mikita, he also still lives in chicago and is very much involved in the team. not like ted lindsey, but he does some commercials for the hawks. since the hawks became relevant, theyve also brought old players back to commemorate and hes always there for that. hes a player that hawk fans will never forget.

as for hull, all i remember about him is a big shot, a drinker, and a wife beater.

I just made a list and put the first person from each team that popped into my head.

Anaheim - Chris Pronger

Atlanta - Ilya Kovalchuk

Boston - Cam Neely

Buffalo - Alexander Mogilny

Calgary - Theo Fluery

Carolina/Hartford - Chris Pronger

Chicago - Jeremy Roenick

Colorado - Joe Sakic

Columbus - Rick Nash

Detroit - Steve Yzerman

Edmonton - Wayne Gretzky

Florida - John Vanbiesbrouck

Los Angeles - Wayne Gretzky

Montreal - Patrick Roy

New Jersey - Scott Stevens

New York Islanders - Brian Trottier

New York Rangers - Brian Leech

Ottawa - Alexi Yashin

Philadelphia - Eric Lindros

Phoenix / Winnipeg - Keith Tkachuk

Pittsburgh - Mario Lemieux

San Jose - Owen Nolan

St. Louis - Brett Hull

Tampa Bay - Martin St. Louis

Toronto - Doug Gilmour

Vancouver - Trevor Linden

Washington - Alex Ovechkin

Wow, you've got a thing for Chris Pronger, huh?

I forgot all about his days in Hartford. It does sound like a good idea, so maybe I'll try to see who's the first that pops into my head. Kind of like those psychiatry tests.

Wow, you've got a thing for Chris Pronger, huh?

I forgot all about his days in Hartford. It does sound like a good idea, so maybe I'll try to see who's the first that pops into my head. Kind of like those psychiatry tests.

I used to have a hockey card from when he was with the Whalers. That's probably why he popped into my head for them.

Anaheim- Paul Kariya

Atlanta- Ilya Kovalchuk

Boston- Bobby Orr/ Cam Neely

Buffalo- Dominik Hasek/ Pat LaFontaine

Calgary- Lanny McDonald/ Theo Fleury

Carolina/Hartford- Ron Francis

Chicago- Bobby Hull/ Stan Mikita

Colorado / Quebec - Joe Sakic/ Peter Stasny/ Anton Stasny

Columbus- Rick Nash

Dallas- Mike Modano

Detroit- Steve Yzerman/ Gordie Howe/ Terry Sawchuk/ Nicklas Lidstrom

Edmonton- Wayne Gretzky/ Grant Fuhr

Florida- John Vanbiesbrouck

Los Angeles- Marcel Dionne / Luc Robitaille/ Rob Blake

Minnesota- Marian Gaborik/ Dino Ciccarelli (North Stars)

Montreal- Maurice Richard/ Guy Lafleur/ Jean Beliveau

Nashville- David Legwand/ Jason Arnott

New Jersey- Martin Brodeur/ Scott Stevens

New York Islanders- Mike Bossy/ Bryan Trottier/ Denis Potvin/Bob Nystrom/ J.P. Parise (he was my coach in Bantams)

New York Rangers- Mark Messier/ Brian Leetch/ Mike Richter

Ottawa- Daniel Alfredsson

Philly- Bobby Clarke/ Eric Lindros/ John LeClair

Phoenix/Winnipeg- Dale Hawerchuk/ Teemu Selanne

Pittsburgh- Mario Lemieux

San Jose- Owen Nolan/ Arturs Irbe

St. Louis- Brett Hull/ Al Maccinis

Tampa Bay- Vincent Lecavalier

Toronto- Dave Keon/ Felix Potvin/ Mats Sundin

Vancouver- Trevor Linden/ Pavel Bure

Washington- Rod Langway/ Peter Bondra/ Olaf Kolzig

Guest GordieSid&Ted
Calgary for me was a toss up between MacInnis, Fleury, Mcdonald and Iginla with some thought of Vernon but in the end I gave it to Iginla on the tiebreaker that he's played there his entire career.

I could have sworn seeing Iggy in a Stars sweater somewhere in the foggy past. So I looked it up and indeed he was drafted by the Stars. They must have traded him at some point prior to him making his NHL debut. But I swear I saw him on the ice in a Dallas sweater. Preseason maybe?