ESPN panel fine-tunes NHL

Rate this topic

What in the hell is in ESPN's coffee?

Link:

- Id put Detroit and Columbus in the East

- Scrap Tampa, Nashville, Phoenix

- Add two teams to Canada

And thats where Id stop ..

The Wings need to be in the East. Just b/c I hate 10pm games for a striahgt week

Guest lnvincible
What in the hell is in ESPN's coffee?

Link:

- Id put Detroit and Columbus in the East

- Scrap Tampa, Nashville, Phoenix

- Add two teams to Canada

And thats where Id stop ..

The Wings need to be in the East. Just b/c I hate 10pm games for a striahgt week

^agreed. Makes more sense.

The only plan listed that would realistically work is Melrose's plan. Buccigross' plan is somewhat reasonable, but the expansion teams could perhaps be better laid out to avoid overloading certain areas with new teams.

All of the others are absolutely ridiculous. The only realistic way to have European teams in the NHL would be to have an equal or near-equal number of teams in Europe and North America.

If you are going to make the geographical swap and put Boston in the same conference as Los Angeles, the only reasonable way to do so would be a conference layout much like the NFL, with two conferences that are evenly spread across the nation and have no geographical base.

My personal opinion of the best realignment plan would work as follows:

Two expansion teams, in any two of the following: Seattle/Portland, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Kansas City, and Houston. Detroit moves to the east, and each conference is divided into four-team divisions. Division winners get automatic playoff spots, and the next four teams in the conference get playoff spots. Teams are seeded based on points, without any automatic seeding; the #8 seed could be a division winner.

My biggest problem:

WTF is Melrose thinking putting the Wings and Hawks in different conferences??????????

That may be the stupidest thing ive heard in a long time. the rivalry is great and can only get better as the hawks get more competitive.

What is he thinking?

40 teams?! The talent pool is already being stretched and the league is having enough financial trouble trying to run 30.

The GOOD news is that at least Melrose's minimal plan appears to be the most popular by a big margin.

Edited by Cern

I used to really enjoy John Buccigross and he still writes a decent column, but he is smoking crack these last couple seasons.

ORR CONFERENCE? GRETZKY CONFERENCE? What the hell is that? He wants 40 teams but I distinctly remember him saying the NHL season is about 15-20 games too long. He says there is a large talent pool but how stretched out will that talent pool be (across the league) when there are 40 teams?

Scott Burnside takes the cake because he's a moron.

But the main reason they're out is we recall being at a board of governors meeting in Dallas at the 2007 All-Star Game and listening to team president and COO Michael Yormark telling a small group of writers the Panthers' problems were really the fault of negative reporting from the Canadian hockey media. He was serious.

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrright, Scotty. Let's eliminate a team and it's entire fan base because you don't like what the Panthers president said. Let's also ***** out our division names. Put the pipe down and get the f*** out of the room.

Get rid of Phoenix, at least 3 of the Southern teams (Nashville, Carolina, Atlanta, Tampa, Florida), and the Islanders.

Add Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Milwaukee, Salt Lake City, Portland, Seattle, Kansas City, and possibly a 2nd Toronto area franchise (maybe in place of one of the above).

4 8-team divisions, North and South conferences to equalize travel. 6 games vs each divisional team (42 games), 3 vs other division (24), 1 vs each non-conference (16) = 82 games. Bring back divisional playoffs.

Something like...

Northwest:

Vancouver

Seattle

Portland

Calgary

Edmonton

Saskatoon

Winnipeg

Minnesota

Northeast:

Milwaukee

Chicago

Detroit

Toronto

Buffalo

Ottowa

Montral

Boston

Southeast:

New York Rangers

New Jersey

Philadelphia

Washington

Pittsburgh

Columbus

Nashville

Carolina

Southwest:

St. Louis

Kansas City

Dallas

Colorado

Salt Lake

San Jose

Los Angeles

Anaheim

Get rid of Phoenix, at least 3 of the Southern teams (Nashville, Carolina, Atlanta, Tampa, Florida), and the Islanders.

Add Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Milwaukee, Salt Lake City, Portland, Seattle, Kansas City, and possibly a 2nd Toronto area franchise (maybe in place of one of the above).

4 8-team divisions, North and South conferences to equalize travel. 6 games vs each divisional team (42 games), 3 vs other division (24), 1 vs each non-conference (16) = 82 games. Bring back divisional playoffs.

Something like...

Northwest:

Vancouver

Seattle

Portland

Calgary

Edmonton

Saskatoon

Winnipeg

Minnesota

Northeast:

Milwaukee

Chicago

Detroit

Toronto

Buffalo

Ottowa

Montral

Boston

Southeast:

New York Rangers

New Jersey

Philadelphia

Washington

Pittsburgh

Columbus

Nashville

Carolina

Southwest:

St. Louis

Kansas City

Dallas

Colorado

Salt Lake

San Jose

Los Angeles

Anaheim

lol @ getting rid of the Islanders, you're going to dump a team that won 4 consecutive stanley cups, was a dynasty at one point, and had HOF players like Trottier, Bossy, Potvin, et al?

lol @ getting rid of the Islanders, you're going to dump a team that won 4 consecutive stanley cups, was a dynasty at one point, and had HOF players like Trottier, Bossy, Potvin, et al?

I believe he was looking more in to the future, not the past.

Wouldn't be the first sports team with a nice history to move.

It's been more than 25 years since they won anything, have reportedly lost over $200 million in the last ten years, and sit in a market with two other teams (and a third not far away, in an already crowded East...) who are both doing much better at the moment. They might do better than a few of the cities I included, but wouldn't likely expand the overall market.

That said, it wouldn't be very difficult to keep them around. Columbus, Carolina, or Nashville could all go, or any one of the expansion cities.

Using past success as a get-out-of-jail-free card against a clear financial quagmire is ridiculous. The NHL is a buisness, not a museum.

Maybe the MLB should get rid of the Cubs since they haven't won anything since 1908. I know that the Islanders suck and there are two other teams in that market but come on, and maybe this is just the hockey purist in me as much as I dislike that term, it just seems wrong to get rid of a team like the Islanders. I agree with you though on the others you mentioned.

Maybe the MLB should get rid of the Cubs since they haven't won anything since 1908. I know that the Islanders suck and there are two other teams in that market but come on, and maybe this is just the hockey purist in me as much as I dislike that term, it just seems wrong to get rid of a team like the Islanders. I agree with you though on the others you mentioned.

Do the Cubs actually generate revenue? Because the Islanders sure don't.

Isles are playing preseason in Saskatoon and KC.

Their Owner has said he'd move or sell the team if Uniondale/Hempstead/Nassau Co. doesn't update the arena (the Coliseum is a dump...)

Areas that I think would support NHL hockey:

Winnipeg: Lot of love for the jets, even though they left. New arena has seating capacity, amenities, AND suites. all they need is a little corporate support, and they should be in the NHL.

Hartford: Idea has been tossed around of replacing the HCC. No ideas have been seriously tabled for further discussion.

Golden Horseshoe of Ontario: Despite being close to Buffalo and Toronto, you're still looking at Kitchener, Cambridge, and Hamilton.

Saskatoon, SK: Look at the fans in the stands for PRESEASON!

Seattle/Portland: Seattle needs a new arena, KeyArena is dated. The Rose Garden in Portland is nicer and newer.

I agree with the minimal expansion/realignment strategies, here's my scenario:

I took all of the southern teams and moved the ones that have never won a cup (Florida, Atlanta, Nashville, Phoenix, and LA) and sent them packing for colder weather. I added two expansion teams, again in natural hockey markets, and I eliminated the Eastern/Western conferences and made 4 8-team divisions, based more loosely on geography.

Here are the divisions:

-Western Division-

Anaheim

San Jose

Portland

Vancouver

Calgary

Edmonton

Colorado

Salt Lake City

-Midwest Division-

Dallas

Minnesota

Milwaukee

Winnipeg

Kansas City

Chicago

Detroit

St. Louis

-Northeast Division-

Montrealx2

Torontox2

Ottawa

Buffalo

Columbus

Pittsburgh

-Eastern Division-

Boston

Tampa Bay

Carolina

Washington

New York Rangers

New York Islanders

New Jersey Devils

Notice I said "loosely" based on geography, because I wanted to keep Detroit in the same division as the Blackhawks for rivalry purposes (I mean, they kept the Dallas Cowboys in the NFC East to maintain the rivalries with the Giants and Redskins), I could care less about other team's rivalries.

Drop the schedule from 82 games to 80 (who came up with an 82-game schedule anyway), each team plays the teams in their division 6 times, the neighboring division twice (i.e. Western vs. Midwest, Northeast vs. Eastern) and then the remaining 16 teams once per season. Playoffs are seeded 1-16 based on record, the division champs getting the first 4 seeds, then each of the remaining teams by overall record. That way, there could conceivably be a Stanley Cup Finals matchup between division rivals.

See the attached map for details on the alignment (I reassigned the teams arbitrarily, and put expansion teams in Toronto and Montreal, two huge hockey markets that could easily support a second team).

nhlrealignmentmap.jpg