• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Detroit # 1 Fan

Eastern and Western Conference Predictions

Rate this topic

With today being pretty much the end of the pre-season, it's prediction time.

Eastern Conference

1. Philadelphia Flyers - I think they take the next step and Emery is able to hold up.

2. Boston Bruins - Strong year last year, and didnt lose much.

3. Carolina Hurricanes - Retained the core of last years team and made smart additions.

4. Washington Capitals - Not a huge fan of them, but a strong team.

5. New Jersey Devils - Jacque has em playing boring, sucessful hockey again.

6. Pittsburgh - Cant argue Crosby and Malkin, but teams in the East are better this year.

7. New York Rangers - If Gaborik stays healthy, a good mix of offence up front and a good defensive scheme.

8. Toronto Maple Leafs - Wilson's strategy mixed with good goaltending and strong defence gets them in.

9. Montreal Canadiens - Good talent, but dont think Martins system is good for them, Price cant get it done.

10. Florida Panthers - I like the Cats team, but I dont see them getting in.

11. Ottawa Senators - They could be a darkhorse team, but a very weak defence doesnt interest me very much.

12. Buffalo Sabres - Havent been the same since 07, dont see it getting better.

13. Tampa Bay Lightning - Same as Florida.

14. Atlanta Thrasers - Afinoganov and Antropov are not the kind of players you add to this team, weak goaltending and I believe Kovalchuk will be dealt away.

15. New York Islanders - Love JT, and I think he'll have a good year, but he has to go through the rough transition team-wise that Crosby had.

Western Conference

1. San Jose - Heatley and Thornton will be dynamic, there always a strong regular season team.

2. Detroit Red Wings - I dont believe the demise is upon us, stronger defence and tougher team concept, less offence.

3. Vancouver Canuks - Luongo and that defence carrys Vancouver.

4. Chicago Blackhawks - Lots of talent, bad coach, questionable goaltending, we'll see.

5. Calgary Flames - Ohhhh that defence... yeah.

6. Anaheim Duck - Still strong, worse defence, better offence.

7. St Louis Blues - Good young talent, strong team game and good coach, be surprised if they dont make it.

8. Edmonton Oilers - Like the talent mix and the coaching. Goaltending could be a strong point if Khabi holds up.

9. Columbus Blue Jackets - Neck and neck with Edmonton, I just think Quinns magic is gonna carry Edmonton.

10. Los Angeles Kings - Could be the West darkhorse, but I'm not believing the hype just yet.

11. Dallas Stars - I like Crawfords style even if he is a D-bag, good team still.

12. Minnesota - Rookie coach, not alot of talent.

13. Nashville Predators - Too much for the Preds to handle in the west.

14. Phoenix Coyotes - Tippett is a good coach, but until this whole debacle is over I dont know how the Coyotes will react.

15. Colorado Avalanche - The fans deserve everything the team is gonna give them this year... not much.

I'm frickin excited, the seasons just around the corner. Share yours, it's LGW afterall so I'd be surprised if I saw any other predictions that looked anything like mine :P

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

I have to disagree with the statement that the Avalanche fans deserve a bad team. Besides the O 6 teams and canadian teams, the Avalanche and Lightning generally have some the best attendence in the league, including the last few seasons where they werent all that great.

Also I have to think Pittsburgh will have to win their division at least. They wont experiance as much of a cup hangover since the lack of physical teams they played/age, and plus the refs favor them too much. They have far too much talent not to win in the regular season, allthough I think Philly will damage them bad if they are too meet in the POs. It's amazing how much more I like pronger when i know we wont have to play him much.

Id say east goes

1.Boston

2.Pens

3.Canes (6th in points though)

4.Caps

5. Philly (Philly/Pens/caps all within 5 points of each other)

6.Devils

7,8,9 are all toss up between Leafs/Rags/Habs

10.Sabers

11+ who cares

West

1.San Jose: weak division this year, good reg season team. another first round upset

2.Our beloved Wings.

3.Calgary: Phanuef and Bouwmeister prove that while both are overated, they still are top 10 dmen in the game

4.Blackhawks: Im not sure if they'll beat us for t he division or self implode, anything can happen, but rest assured next year they are f***ed

5.St. Louis: I dont think people give them enough respect, they're loaded with young guns

6.Ducks: allthough weaker then they were before, Getzlaf at times can be the most dominating player in the league, and with secondary help like Nidermayer, Perry, and the Fin Twins, they still will have a good team. Hiller is going to prove he is no fluke

7-9 Vancouver CBJ and Oilers battle it out.

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA
I see Red Wings fans talking about teams they have no idea about.

Explain, Elucidate and Contribute please.

What exactly is so wrong with either of our predictions

I am much to lazy to make a full prediction like you guys so I will just predict that the wings will play the caps in the SCF. I like the Rangers as a possible darkhorse in the East too and if, god forbid, its not the wings in the West maybe its finally San Jose's year....maybe.

East

Boston - They have it all, and something to prove after the playoff disappointment, Northeast isn't very good

Washington - Southeast is improved, but still bad

Pittsburgh - Summer parties and a tough division, but still good enough to beat out Philly

Philadelphia - Close, but just behind the Pens

New Jersey - Boring is back, Baby!

Carolina - A shade behind the Devils

Montreal - The talent will gel just enough to sneak in

Rangers - If Gabby can stay mostly healthy, otherwise...

Ottowa - By a hair over the Leafs

Leafs - Getting there, but not this year

Florida - Best of the bad

Buffalo, Tampa Bay, Atlanta, Islanders - Rest of the bad

West

Detroit - Still able to dominate, despite the toughness of the division

Vancouver - Because Swedes are awesome in any time zone

San Jose - Wings of 97, eff the regular season, let's start the playoffs, division will be tougher than last year

Chicago - Good enough to win the West

Calgary - Defense

Anaheim - Defensive losses hurt more than Koivu helps, look out in the playoffs though

St.Louis - Maybe a year or two away from contending

Dallas - When healthy, they are a pretty decent team

Columbus, Edmonton, Los Angeles - All in the hunt for that 8th seed

Nashville, Minnesota, Phoenix, Colorado - Aren't

I think it will be a toss up in the central with Det and Chi being very close (during the regular season) and a good St Louis team. St Louis will definitively be in this year.

In the East, i don t see Carolina very high, they won t confirm their success last year (mainly after the deadline).they are a borderline playoff team,but they will make it. Pittsburgh will have a bad year: cup hangover. Tampa bay surprisingly will make it, when Montreal will totally fall apart. Ottawa will be damn hungry, now that Heatley is gone; they ll make it.

My predictions: (in points; not considering division title stuff..)

East

Washington

Boston (it s a toss up between these 2)

Philadelphia

NJ

Pittsburgh

Ottawa

Carolina

Tampa Bay

just behind (toss up with TB: the Rags)

West

SJ: the division is very weak

Vancouver

Det

Chicago

Anaheim

Calgary

St Louis (these 7 teams without big desillusions will be playoff teams)

and then.... LA

I don't know why people are so low on WAS. I also don't have any doubts that the worst move CHI did was letting Khabi go. Huet is not Khabi at all, so I don't know why some people are so high on CHI.

Here is what I think is going to happen:

East

WAS - they're getting better

PHI - got Fronger, getting better

BOS - step down, but weak division

PIT - cup hangover, but the core is there

NYR - Gaborik stays healthy :), Lundqvist

NJD - gonna be boring to watch

OTT - I think they'll be better, some nice additions and cancer is out

TBL - getting a bit better, have 2 solid lines of F and some decent D

West

SJS - Heatley & Thornton, good team

DET - nobody gives much of a chance, but everyone will be talking after 18 wins of first 22 games

CAL - solid D, new coach

VAN - solid team overall

CHI - solid team, bad coach and terrible goaltending

ANA - solid, but step down from the past

STL - on the rise

CBJ - on the rise, ton of young talent

Eastern

1. Flyers

2. Bruins

3. Caps

4. Pens

5. Habs

6. Devils

7. Canes

8. Rangers

Western

1. Flames

2. Wings

3. Sharks

4. Hawks

5. Canucks

6. Ducks

7. Wild

8. Jackets

I don't know why people are so low on WAS. I also don't have any doubts that the worst move CHI did was letting Khabi go. Huet is not Khabi at all, so I don't know why some people are so high on CHI.

East

West

DET - nobody gives much of a chance, but everyone will be talking after 18 wins of first 22 games

CAL - solid D, new coach

VAN - solid team overall

STL - on the rise

they'll choke...again

Fearless predictions

East

1. Boston Bruins

2. Philadelphia Flyers

3. Washington Capitals

4. New Jersey Devils

5. Carolina Hurricanes

6. Montreal Canadiens

7. New York Rangers

8. Ottawa Senators

9. Toronto Maple Leafs

10. Pittsburgh Penguins

11. Florida Panthers

12. Tampa Bay Lightning

13. Buffalo Sabres

14. New York Islanders

15. Atlanta Thrashers

West

1. Detroit Red Wings

2. San Jose Sharks

3. Calgary Flames

4. Columbus Blue Jackets

5. Chicago Blackhawks

6. Vancouver Canucks

7. St. Louis Blues

8. Los Angeles Kings

9. Minnesota Wild

10. Anaheim Ducks

11. Edmonton Oilers

12. Dallas Stars

13. Nashville Predators

14. Colorado Avalanche

15. Phoenix Coyotes

And 10 random, but also fearless, predictions:

1) Penguins Finals hangover lasts even longer this season, and instead of only being out of the playoff picture until the 2nd half, they miss completely.

2) Pavel Datsyuk breaks 100 points and gets nominated for the Hart again.

3) Ville Leino wins the Calder Trophy. John Travares finishes 3rd.

4) Tim Thomas repeats as Vezina winner.

5) San Jose loses in the first round in 6 games.

7) Detroit has 2 40 goal scorers while Marian Hossa struggles to hit 20. He also finishes on the minus side of +/-.

8 ) The Blackhawks stumble out of the gate, only making a late season push to get in the playoffs. Huet chokes in the first round. Lots of writers look super sheepish for picking them to do so well.

9)The 09-10 Flyers are the most penalized team in NHL history, and their announcers just can't understand why.

10) The Boston Bruins beat The Detroit Red Wings in the Stanley Cup Finals 4 games to 3 in a 4 OT thriller at home by a final score of 1-0. No one on this board leaves their houses for a week due to the depression.

East

West

CAL - solid D, new coach

VAN - solid team overall

STL - on the rise

Like who? You'll get the odd person talking about them getting older, etc. every year, but I think the general consensus from most is that they will be right there as one of the best again. I know they can't keep it up forever, but I don't think this is the year they take a significant step back. Going 18-4 in the first 22 games might be stretch though.

I'll throw my 2 cents in:

EAST

1. WASH - top 2 fight it out

2. BOS

3. NJ - Broseur stays focused and healthy

4. PHI - a little tougher

5. PIT - D losses and too much Cup partying

6. NYR -

7. OTT - Heatley circus is gone, still weak in goal

8. CAR - maybe as high as #6, fight it out with NYR, OTT

9. MON - just miss playoffs, Price is not right

10. TOR - same story, different year

WEST

1. DET - reigning WC champs, look more like 2008 team

2. SJ - fast start carries them again, but could fade late

3. CAL - toughness carries them by VAN

4. VAN - Luongo is the greatest goalie. . . that has never won anything

5. CHI - 2 words, Joel Quenneville

6. ANA - is Hiller human this year? D got worse

7. EDM - goaltending carries them to the post-season

8. CLB - strong goaltending gets them back

9. DAL - Crawford, enough said

10. STL - last year was a fluke, need this year to develop the young talent further

Can't wait for the reg season to start!

I don't think San Jose can even ice a full team right now. It's really, really hard to say they will be number one in the West without a full roster...and no depth.

They mostly solved their cap issues when they dumped Ehrhoff and Lukowich. Depth is questionable, and little offense from their bottom 6 forwards, but their top 6 forwards, top 4 defense, and starting goalie easily make them a contender.

They mostly solved their cap issues when they dumped Ehrhoff and Lukowich. Depth is questionable, and little offense from their bottom 6 forwards, but their top 6 forwards, top 4 defense, and starting goalie easily make them a contender.

SJ problem will be like it is every year, using Nabokov too much in the reg season. With Boucher gone, SJ does not have a reliable backup. That will cost them some games they would have otherwise won.

Top 2 lines will have to work much harder and if they finish high in the West, it will show in an early round exit. . . AGAIN!

Fearless predictions

East

1. Boston Bruins

2. Philadelphia Flyers

3. Washington Capitals

4. New Jersey Devils

5. Carolina Hurricanes

6. Montreal Canadiens

7. New York Rangers

8. Ottawa Senators

9. Toronto Maple Leafs

10. Pittsburgh Penguins

11. Florida Panthers

12. Tampa Bay Lightning

13. Buffalo Sabres

14. New York Islanders

15. Atlanta Thrashers

West

1. Detroit Red Wings

2. San Jose Sharks

3. Calgary Flames

4. Columbus Blue Jackets

5. Chicago Blackhawks

6. Vancouver Canucks

7. St. Louis Blues

8. Los Angeles Kings

9. Minnesota Wild

10. Anaheim Ducks

11. Edmonton Oilers

12. Dallas Stars

13. Nashville Predators

14. Colorado Avalanche

15. Phoenix Coyotes

And 10 random, but also fearless, predictions:

1) Penguins Finals hangover lasts even longer this season, and instead of only being out of the playoff picture until the 2nd half, they miss completely.

2) Pavel Datsyuk breaks 100 points and gets nominated for the Hart again.

3) Ville Leino wins the Calder Trophy. John Travares finishes 3rd.

4) Tim Thomas repeats as Vezina winner.

5) San Jose loses in the first round in 6 games.

7) Detroit has 2 40 goal scorers while Marian Hossa struggles to hit 20. He also finishes on the minus side of +/-.

8 ) The Blackhawks stumble out of the gate, only making a late season push to get in the playoffs. Huet chokes in the first round. Lots of writers look super sheepish for picking them to do so well.

9)The 09-10 Flyers are the most penalized team in NHL history, and their announcers just can't understand why.

10) The Boston Bruins beat The Detroit Red Wings in the Stanley Cup Finals 4 games to 3 in a 4 OT thriller at home by a final score of 1-0. No one on this board leaves their houses for a week due to the depression.

On your bold predictions:

3) I was going to comment that I would guarantee this won't happen because he isn't eligible, but when I looked it up, I see his birthday is in October, just missing being too old by a couple weeks (doesn't turn 26 until after Sep. 15th deadline)

9) This is probably quite the longshot. They were the most penalized team last year with 1,434 PIMs, so they'd have to basically double that for the all-time record.

Like who? You'll get the odd person talking about them getting older, etc. every year, but I think the general consensus from most is that they will be right there as one of the best again. I know they can't keep it up forever, but I don't think this is the year they take a significant step back. Going 18-4 in the first 22 games might be stretch though.

Not that anyone here takes anything that ESPN analysts have to say as gospel, but only Hradek is picking the Wings to win the Central. None of these clowns has the Wings even winning the West, let alone making it to the SCF.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/preview2009/...tory?id=4515849

]10) The Boston Bruins beat The Detroit Red Wings in the Stanley Cup Finals 4 games to 3 in a 4 OT thriller at home by a final score of 1-0. No one on this board leaves their houses for a week due to the depression.[/b]

I don't think many of us on this board could aford to lose another week of their lives after this year.