• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Nev

Cleary: "I can't stand Pittsburgh"

Rate this topic

Driving, get up to use the bathroom, watching TV, see a hockey commercial. For me, I don't know how other people deal with it, but I don't know if I'll ever get over it. I don't know. You never know if you're going to get back there again. And to be able to go two years in a row was special.

All due respect to Pittsburgh, and I believe they deserved to win because they beat us four out of five, but I can't stand Pittsburgh. I was so happy we won Sunday. I'll always be like that 'til we get there again. I'm just being honest

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/preview2009/...&id=4512838

Great article. Its great to hear just how high of a standard the members of the Red Wings organization hold themselves to. I feel the same way as Cleary. The Cup belongs to the Wings, healthy there is no better team in the world. I loathe Pittsburgh. I loathe the fact that last year after a Wings win, all we saw was the Penguins glorious moments, most of them against the Wings, on every commercial, from CenterIce to Gatorade to Verizon, you name it. Luckily for the NHL, they won't have to spend much on advertising this season, just recycle last years ads and just edit in a clip of Sid holding the Cup.

I really hope we see the Wings play like the team two years ago, like a team possessed. As much as it hurts us fans to think "what if Lidstrom had kept his last second shot on the ice?" among a million other What-ifs, it has to kill them even more.

A nice read.

I noticed a mistake though. The article says this about Osgood: "The veteran netminder has won 31 postseason games over the past two seasons." The writer must've forgotten Hasek and his two wins in the 1st round of 2008.

A nice read.

I noticed a mistake though. The article says this about Osgood: "The veteran netminder has won 31 postseason games over the past two seasons." The writer must've forgotten Hasek and his two wins in the 1st round of 2008.

oh, don't you remember - it took us 18 total wins to win in 08... after Pit went down 2-0, Bettman changed it to a best of 9 to better their chances of coming back... I'm surprised you don't remember that :D

As great as his quotes about Pittsburgh are, this is by far my favorite (and the most important quote, IMO):

"You get a different burn inside," Red Wings forward Dan Cleary said Monday shortly after the Wings' first on-ice workout in Stockholm. "Knowing that somebody else has it [the Cup] eats away at you."

Way to go Dan-O !! I have a Wings Jersey with no name or number on it, I am totally putting Cleary's name and number on it now!! I guess it was a good thing I drafted him on the LGW Fantsay team!! I think that also pumped him up!! ROFL!!

oh, don't you remember - it took us 18 total wins to win in 08... after Pit went down 2-0, Bettman changed it to a best of 9 to better their chances of coming back... I'm surprised you don't remember that :D

To get Osgood those two extra wins the series would have had to been changed to a best of 11. That way the Wings would have needed to win 6 games instead of 5 of 9

Way to go Dan-O !! I have a Wings Jersey with no name or number on it, I am totally putting Cleary's name and number on it now!! I guess it was a good thing I drafted him on the LGW Fantsay team!! I think that also pumped him up!! ROFL!!

I used my last pick in my league on him last night and felt slightly stupid about being a homer and taking a personal fave. Today, I don't. Go Clears!

If possible, I like Cleary even more than I already did. :thumbup:

I posted a poll a while ago, that I f-ed up and change the voting options midway through so the poll was completely useless.

But the gist was what would be more motivating for Detroit, not making the post season, losing in the first round or losing in the SCF.

Losing game 7 of the SCF has got to be the biggest kick in the balls since kicking in the balls started.

I think this team which prides itself on a "championships and nothing else is acceptable" mentality which should drive these guys nuts.

Cleary being this motivated is a great sign, he is a heart and soul, fire in the locker room kind of player. His fire and passion could spread like the Swine Flu through that locker room and the fact that I want him on the ZD line, with that motivation ooooooooo weeeeeeeee look out!!

I am more fired up for this upcoming season than I have been in a while and I think it is the fact that I think the wings are going to be so motivated. This may not be the high profile Wings we as fans have come accustomed too, but this team is deep and talented, a few question marks but other than that I am so pumped for the upcoming season and reading quotes like these are making it more exciting!

It's reasons like this that I think Dan Cleary should be given some serious consideration for being the next captain. I'm sure Hank will make an excellent captain in the mould of Lidstrom, but there's just something about Cleary's fiery attitude and passion that makes me absolutely love the guy.

It's reasons like this that I think Dan Cleary should be given some serious consideration for being the next captain. I'm sure Hank will make an excellent captain in the mould of Lidstrom, but there's just something about Cleary's fiery attitude and passion that makes me absolutely love the guy.

he'll have the A insted

I should add, I loved the Babcock quote about when Anaheim lost to NJ, they had a Western Conference champs banner raising ceremony the next season.......if Detroit were to do that everyone - ownership, coaches, players and fans - would be flat out embaressed.

Also don't forget that this is probly Homer, Maltby and possibly Lidstroms last kick at the can. Those guys know the sands of time are ebbing away...

Draper's replacement as an alternate. Plus, Cheli is gone so when injuries occur, Cleary could be in line to wear an "A". Probably Rafalski, too.

I believe they'll have the fire to win it this year, it's their bodies which may fail. Here's hoping for a fight-free, check-free, defense-first, boring regular season so they have their health and focus in the playoffs.