• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
96warrior

Robert Lang to Phoenix

Rate this topic

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyotes/ar...oyoteslang.html

The Phoenix Coyotes, who open the regular season Saturday in Los Angeles against the Kings, have reached a tentative contract agreement with center Robert Lang, contingent on him passing a physical.

Lang, a former Phoenix RoadRunner, spent last season with the Montreal Canadiens, where he tallied 18 goals and 39 points in 50 games. The year prior, he scored 21 goals for the Chicago Blackhawks.

He has also played for Detroit, Washington, Pittsburgh, Boston and Los Angeles in his 17-year career.

Interesting how short the memories around here are. He put up 18 goals and 39 points in 50 games for the Canadians last year and was their #1 centre before a freak accident severed his Achilles.

Lang is definitely still a #2 centre in this league, lazy or not. I don't want him back here (clutch playoff goals aside), but to imply this was a stupid signing for the 'yotes is just silly.

Interesting how short the memories around here are. He put up 18 goals and 39 points in 50 games for the Canadians last year and was their #1 centre before a freak accident severed his Achilles.

Lang is definitely still a #2 centre in this league, lazy or not. I don't want him back here (clutch playoff goals aside), but to imply this was a stupid signing for the 'yotes is just silly.

I always liked Lang and thought he was a solid #2 center but just got a little too lazy at the end of his stay here. He was once considered a very good defensive player years ago. There are a few players I would love the Wings to have on the Phoenix team like Doan and Mihalek. Mihalek is a FA at the end of the year and if the wings have cap space for him I say go for it. Right handed defenseman who led the league in block shots last year and also has a lot of offensive potential. Shoot even if Nick retired after this season our defense would be solid.....

Kronwall-Stuart

Ericsson-Rafalski

Kindl-Mihalek(this is really selling him short but the 2 czechs would compliment eachother well.

My dream off season would involve us picking up Frolov and Mihalek while letting the likes of Maltby, Holmstrom, Bertuzzi, Meech and lebda go while re-signing eaves,helm,williams and lidstrom. I'd even consider bring Bert back for one year if he has a nice season and comes on the cheap. Youngsters I expect to see on the team next year are Abby, ritola and maybe even Larsson if Howard flops

I still love Lang, and I wear my Lang jersey with pride.

I feel bad for him that he's going to Phoenix/LasVegas/Kitchner/Hamilton/Zimbabwe, but it's better than nothing. I thought for sure that he would be done after last season.

Thank you!

It was better for the Wings to let him go, but he's hardly the awful player people make him out to be in this thread. Once a whipping boy, always a whipping boy I guess.

As you point out, he had a good season with the Canadians, and had 21 goals and 33 assists in Chicago the year before.

Yeah, why would the Coyotes possibly want a one year contract with a guy who regularly puts up 50+ points a season???

And because of his age and his injury last season, I'd guess they probably got him at markdown prices.

EDIT: and him passing his physical wasn't questionable because of fitness, he had his friggen achilles tendon severed and got is surgically repaired last season.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

For someone who does not skate very well, Bad Ass Bob certainly gets to primo scoring areas. If only he showed that drive he displayed on the crazy-deke-from-knees to score on the Preds night in and night out.

Seriously, YouTube the highlight. Still up there with the Zata behind the back in Game 4 vs Colorado for my list of viewed non-shootout best wings goals.

- 3:17 of the video.

i do feel a bit bad for Lang going from such hockey established cities like detroit, chicago and montreal to a franchise like phoenix (perhaps one of a kind?)

best of luck to him there... he'll need it.

gotta love the guy though.

anyone know who the Habs actually chose to let him go? its not like he was bumming on that team. Prior to his injury he was leading the team in goals! andd he was penalty killing!?

anyone know who the Habs actually chose to let him go? its not like he was bumming on that team. Prior to his injury he was leading the team in goals! andd he was penalty killing!?

I don't know about their cap situation, but maybe the reason is that they already added three top six forwards in the summer.

I don't know about their cap situation, but maybe the reason is that they already added three top six forwards in the summer.

i believe that robert lang and scott gomez are comparable in terms of skill.

gomez will make double of what lang did in 09 (lang made 4 mill, anad thats an overpayment in my eyes).

lang could've fit in but then again i thought kovalev could also.