• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 orangegoalie

orangegoalie

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 05:11 PM

Ok, so my Fantasy Hockey draft is tonight and as my third Goalie Pickup i want to pick Torontos Gustavson.

heres my issue: HAS HE IN FACT beat out Joey McDonald for the #2 spot (now given, he should have already beaten out Vesa Toskala for the #1.....seeing as how poorly Toskala has been in the past few seasons and the HYPE with gustavson)

ANDDD.....for those of you who have never seen this "MONSTER" play, go to youtube and enhoy goaltending at its best!!!!!

HE IS A HUMAN HIGHLIGHT REEL

#2 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 05:13 PM

From all that i've read he's won the job as #2. And Toskala has looked really bad, so the trigger finger is ready for the Monster to get a chance this year.

#3 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 05:18 PM

He will be the number 1 goalie around christmas time maybe even earlier, count on it.

#4 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 05:29 PM

If the Leafs made a decision based on only pre-season, Gustavsson would probably be starter with McDonald as his backup. Toskala has been terrible.. and this is supposed to be a bounce-back year for him.

Personally I think he'll split games with Vesa 50-50 for a few months until Gustavsson becomes the #1.

#5 Swayze

Swayze

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE (mindfly @ September 29, 2009 - 06:18PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He will be the number 1 goalie around christmas time maybe even earlier, count on it.

This. Maybe a 50-50 with Toskala, granted that they both stay healthy. If they make it to the playoffs though, it will be because of the Monster, and he will be backstopping them in it (ala Steve Mason).

#6 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,676 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 05:52 PM

Joey MacDonald was placed on waivers today.

Gustavsson starts as the back-up, but I really question for how long. He'll likely get a few extra games to start the year (than a normal back-up load) because he's only played a combined total of one game since the rookie tournament.

#7 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 06:01 PM

He's a rookie goaltender in the NHL. 99% of the hyped rookie goalies can't steal the starter's job. The ones who do steal it from rotten goalies like Toskala, true, but this kid hasn't played a full season of NA hockey. He'll hit the wall in January like nearly every European import does in their first year. This kid could be real good, but I can't bring myself to buy the hype on rookie goalies.

Price anyone? A good rookie year then he fell into a pit of mediocrity (and that's being generous). Anyone seen his stats this preseason? Yikes.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#8 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,676 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE (Drake_Marcus @ September 29, 2009 - 07:01PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He's a rookie goaltender in the NHL. 99% of the hyped rookie goalies can't steal the starter's job. The ones who do steal it from rotten goalies like Toskala, true, but this kid hasn't played a full season of NA hockey. He'll hit the wall in January like nearly every European import does in their first year. This kid could be real good, but I can't bring myself to buy the hype on rookie goalies.

Price anyone? A good rookie year then he fell into a pit of mediocrity (and that's being generous). Anyone seen his stats this preseason? Yikes.

The difference there could be that Price joined the Habs when he was what, 19?

Gustavsson is 24, he's probably a little further ahead of the curve compared to your average rookie netminder. That said, he's nothing until he's proven that he's for real.

#9 robb himself

robb himself

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 06:26 PM

1.Joey Macdonald was placed on waivers today...
2.Toskala didnt look great in pre-season...
3.Gustavsson looked SENSATIONAL in pre-season...

Gustavsson will be the starting goalie for the Leafs around November

lock em' up!
be about it!

#10 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE (MacK_Attack @ September 30, 2009 - 01:10AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The difference there could be that Price joined the Habs when he was what, 19?

Gustavsson is 24, he's probably a little further ahead of the curve compared to your average rookie netminder. That said, he's nothing until he's proven that he's for real.

So true, people seem to be forgetting that he's not some 18-year old coming straight out of juniors. He is a mature guy that has worked extremely hard to become the goalie he is today.

He's only really unproven to people that haven't seen in him the SEL. I know the NHL is a much better league than the SEL, but the way he played last year was so awe-inspiring that I can't see him being anything less than atleast a very, very solid goalie in the NHL. He has all the components to become one of the best in the league; size, atleticism, speed, mental strenght etc.
He just has to tighten up his rebound control and he's set.

#11 Eizzo03

Eizzo03

Rookie

• Pip
  • 184 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE (orangegoalie @ September 29, 2009 - 06:11PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok, so my Fantasy Hockey draft is tonight and as my third Goalie Pickup i want to pick Torontos Gustavson.

heres my issue: HAS HE IN FACT beat out Joey McDonald for the #2 spot (now given, he should have already beaten out Vesa Toskala for the #1.....seeing as how poorly Toskala has been in the past few seasons and the HYPE with gustavson)

ANDDD.....for those of you who have never seen this "MONSTER" play, go to youtube and enhoy goaltending at its best!!!!!

HE IS A HUMAN HIGHLIGHT REEL

Go for it. Toskala will lose the number job 1 shortly. The question is just how long Wilson and Burke will be patient with him.
"For me, it doesn't matter where I play. If coach says I must play goalie, I will play goalie."- Ovechkin

Mauvais Gardien de But
Twitter

#12 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 08:29 PM

Get it done Kenny!
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#13 Yak19

Yak19

-Playmaker Elite-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 08:53 PM

got him as my 3rd goalie,

we will be the starter very soon

#14 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,281 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:07 PM

Toronto did well with picks/drafting. They really picked up a lot of Swedes with skills.
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#15 BeeRYCE

BeeRYCE

Where are the f'n twinkies?!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:25 PM

I predict Gustavsson will have the starting job in no time.

#16 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE (13dangledangle @ September 29, 2009 - 09:29PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Get it done Kenny!

Holland never showed any interest in him (which kind of annoyed me).

Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#17 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:45 PM

Calder for JGus
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#18 The Mule

The Mule

A Nightmare on Helm Street

• Silver Booster
  • 1,962 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:53 PM

Gustavsson has all the tools to become a top-tier goaltender in this league.

#19 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,045 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:14 PM

He'll be the starter by November. Toskala is brutal, weak all pre-season, and all last season, and then goes and gives up 7 goals to frickin Buffalo.

#NOMOREKINDL

#20 orangegoalie

orangegoalie

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:33 PM

Yeappp, picked him up as my third Goalie in the 11th round