• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OsGOD

OsGOD

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:51 AM

My two choices in my new neighborhood are ATT and Comcast. I really hate comcrap so i have been leaning towards Uverse as a pretty reasonable alternative.

Does anyone on here have it or know of someone with it? I am curious to know about the good and bads of it... i have until oct 22nd to make a decision

thanks!

Just one chance is all i ever wanted...just one time i'd like to win the game...from now on i'll take the chance if i can have it...just one just one

#2 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:05 AM

One of my boys is familiar with it and is very excited and enthusiastic about it. He works for ATT.

Edited by MidMichSteve, 01 October 2009 - 11:10 AM.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#3 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,413 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:39 AM

I work with (against) AT&T daily, and know of no one who likes it. It may depend on the region, but deployment and support for the technology here in Texas sucks, in a word.

Michigan Bell (alias AT&T) has always been somewhat better about personnel and support for their services in general, so you could give it try. The worst that could happen is you have to switch back to Comcast. They are also growing (planning to buy NBC, I hear), but their business is video and data. Odds are they might be the better choice. Watch out for "gotcha" clauses in any contract or agreement, in terms of opt out.

AT&T is a phone company. They forget that a lot of the time. They are what they are. rolleyes.gif My experience with them is that they tout technologies they cannot support at the customer level.

Let me know how your ride with them works out, if you decide to go that way. My neighbors had it and dumped U-Verse inside of a month. Back to TWC they went and couldn't be happier.

The cost is comparable here, by the way, for a bundled package TV/internet/ phone. The service from TWC is 100% better and the integrity of the system/signal so much better with TWC there is really no comparison. Again, probably regional.

Edited by puckloo39, 01 October 2009 - 11:41 AM.

puckloo39dom.jpg

"There is no passion to be found in playing small -- in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

Nelson Mandela - RIP  1918-2013

Better than Ever

#4 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,413 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE (MidMichSteve @ October 1, 2009 - 11:05AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One of my boys is familiar with it and is very excited and enthusiastic about it. He works for ATT.

He probably gets it for free. wink.gif I know that usually colors my opinion about things, for the better, regardless of the actual qualities of whatever we're discussing.

puckloo39dom.jpg

"There is no passion to be found in playing small -- in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

Nelson Mandela - RIP  1918-2013

Better than Ever

#5 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,102 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:53 AM

We had Comcast Triple Play and nothing but issues with out phone - it would go out when the cable and internet went out... Nothing but trouble.

Phone - land line via AT&T - more reliable

Cable - Comcast

Internet - Comcast

Edited by Rivalred, 01 October 2009 - 11:53 AM.

D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#6 wingsnut25

wingsnut25

Rookie

• Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:54 AM

QUOTE (MidMichSteve @ October 1, 2009 - 11:05AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My friend has it, and he really likes it. I have spent a couple of weekends at his place and I was impressed with it.

I have had terrible problems with ATT where I live, but I heard that the UVERSE has much better support services...

#7 OsGOD

OsGOD

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 12:44 PM

QUOTE (puckloo39 @ October 1, 2009 - 12:39PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I work with (against) AT&T daily, and know of no one who likes it. It may depend on the region, but deployment and support for the technology here in Texas sucks, in a word.

Michigan Bell (alias AT&T) has always been somewhat better about personnel and support for their services in general, so you could give it try. The worst that could happen is you have to switch back to Comcast. They are also growing (planning to buy NBC, I hear), but their business is video and data. Odds are they might be the better choice. Watch out for "gotcha" clauses in any contract or agreement, in terms of opt out.

AT&T is a phone company. They forget that a lot of the time. They are what they are. rolleyes.gif My experience with them is that they tout technologies they cannot support at the customer level.

Let me know how your ride with them works out, if you decide to go that way. My neighbors had it and dumped U-Verse inside of a month. Back to TWC they went and couldn't be happier.

The cost is comparable here, by the way, for a bundled package TV/internet/ phone. The service from TWC is 100% better and the integrity of the system/signal so much better with TWC there is really no comparison. Again, probably regional.

Now see thats more along the lines of the reports i have been hearing. I have done searches online and found even recently rash amounts of complaints about ATT Uverse and the suckiness of it. I know it has to be taken with a grain of salt as well because complainers are always louder than praisers.

More and more i am leaning towards Comcast though.... They have that Triple Play as rival stated.. but i really don't need the phone part of it. I am hoping they will have a good deal on just HD Digital Cable and Internet! I haven't had a home phone for years now and I am getting along just fine with over 3,000 unused roll over mins lol

I will have to ask the sellers at closing who they had for cable... i am kicking myself because we were in the house last saturday and i forgot to turn on the tv to see... DOH!

Just one chance is all i ever wanted...just one time i'd like to win the game...from now on i'll take the chance if i can have it...just one just one

#8 Sully75

Sully75

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 12:47 PM

I live in KC, and have had Uverse for about 6 months. Quit Comcast to get it.

I'm hapy I made the switch. The positives far outweigh the negatives. But there are negatives.

The HD isn't as clean or as smooth as Comcast's. It pixelates quite a bit during quick motion, but it's not a dealbreaker for me. Your mileage may vary.

The ease of use, DVR, and house setup are very nice, though. Having the DVR available in every room is huge.

Finally, for all the channels we get, we are paying about 1/3 what we were with Comcast, and actually have more channels (I actually can watch Red WIngs Weekly here in KC, now).

#9 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:27 PM

U-verse is the way to go! All set top boxes are HD compatible, whole home
DVR ( record up to 4 channels at once), U-Bar can be programmed to stream
all of the sports info you are interested in all the time, more HD channels
than other providers. AT&T used to be a phone company, now they are a
connections company and they do it better than anyone else. I am biased
since this is what I do but it really is a superior product. (and I can't
get it at my house yet but I will soon!)
K. G.
Area Manager
U-verse Field Operations
AT&T Kentucky/Tennessee

My son's obviously biased opinion. I'll send you his e-mail if you have questions.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#10 maltbymaniac

maltbymaniac

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:08 PM

ive had comcast for years now with little 2 no problems.wouldnt ever go with anything else.

Edited by maltbymaniac, 02 October 2009 - 04:08 PM.

sig by saran,Thanks

#11 C20lw

C20lw

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:38 AM

I switched from Comcast to U-Verse. It was a great decision. I never liked Comcasts DVR/cable service. We always had problems with the internet. The HD does pixelate some times, but its not terrible. Having 4 HD threads can be a problem if you have a lot of people needing to record TV or watch separate shows. DVR in every room is amazing. \

You may have problems with their internet depending on your current network setup. We had a lot of problems with their firmware and our wireless router. Took quite a while to get it configured correctly.

The thing I probably love the most is the DVR. Comcast sucked horribly. If you wanted to fast forward commercials you needed to see into the future to stop it from fast forwarding. It did not go back a few seconds in case you passed the start of the show. Comcast would just play wherever you hit play. So you if you blew 2 min into the show cause the remote messed up as usual, you had to rewind back 2 min and play the same game the opposite direction. U-Verse will skip back a few seconds when you hit play, now I spend 2 sec gettin through commercials rather than 3 min.

Also when flipping back and forth between channels, there is no lag as the DVR switches channels. (for pausing and rewinding live tv). It flips back and forth without hesitation.

The user interface is far better on U-verse. Easy to use, navigate, and much more appealing to the eye. I pay a little bit more than comcast for cable and internet, but I think its worth it.

Thanks wingnut22!!

#12 OsGOD

OsGOD

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 11:03 AM

nice review thank! now at the end you mean you pay more for Uverse right?

#13 C20lw

C20lw

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 12:40 PM

Yes sorry if I wasn't clear.

With Comcast I payed ~ $120 with 2 DVR boxes, HD, and "6mb" internet.
With U-Verse I pay ~ $130 with 2 boxes, HD, and 6mb (or 8 I don't remember) internet.

I use the quotes because the internet rarely worked. thumbdown.gif But the prices aren't terribly different. Plus they are giving some nice cashback offers right now. You will need to order the U-200 to get VS which is unfortunate, I think the U-100 has everything I would need minus VS. But it does include a lot of FSN channels. Also you would have to get the U-200 package to get the cashback offers anyway. Not sure how much TV you watch, but def check out the channel listings for your area.

Edit: Had HD service for both.

Edited by C20lw, 05 October 2009 - 12:42 PM.

Thanks wingnut22!!

#14 OsGOD

OsGOD

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 01:15 PM

gotcha!

the part that bothers me is so many people saying they have issues with the install that last as much as a month before their stuff is really working... I really don't want to have to wait that long to be able to use something... or deal with the headaches of mulitple installation attempts... which is why i think i am leaning towards comcast which already has had service in the house from the previous owners and therefore it seems to be a pretty easy install.

once they turn it on, i can throw some spliters into the mix and put cable everywhere in the house.

#15 C20lw

C20lw

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE (OsGOD @ October 5, 2009 - 02:15PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
gotcha!

the part that bothers me is so many people saying they have issues with the install that last as much as a month before their stuff is really working... I really don't want to have to wait that long to be able to use something... or deal with the headaches of mulitple installation attempts... which is why i think i am leaning towards comcast which already has had service in the house from the previous owners and therefore it seems to be a pretty easy install.

once they turn it on, i can throw some spliters into the mix and put cable everywhere in the house.

The install can be complicated. Especially with the internet. I know people that had no problem with it, just from our experience it took a bit of work to get the wifi working correctly. About 2 days of trouble shooting. If you are looking to split cable to get tv in all the rooms def go with comcast. Because U-Verse is IPTV you need a box in each room to get service. So you cant just split a coax cable and run it to another TV. So you end up paying an extra $7/month per TV. I think you can hook up 2 tv's too the same box, however they will play the same channel. There is a coax out port on the cable boxes. I haven't tested this theory, but does seem possible.

Thanks wingnut22!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users