• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
jjudson

Shouldn't the NHL step in here?!?

Rate this topic

I live in Philly, but am a former Red Wings season ticket holder. I have Directv and purchase Center Ice package every year to see the Red Wings. This year, I've been hit hard - as all Directv subscribers have - by the battle between Directv and Comcast over Versus. I missed game one yesterday, and it appears that throughout the regular season, I will miss a total of nine games - and most importantly - ABOUT HALF OF THE PLAYOFFS.

This is really unacceptable.

There are many folks out there who do not have access to Comcast. There are many others who do have access to but will not give their money to them. I'm in the latter catagory.

It seems that the NHL should step in here to basically demand of Comcast that, either they allow Directv access to Versus (or allow the broadcast to be available via a Center Ice feed) or they will cancel the contract with Versus and discuss it with Comcast in court. It seems to me that the NHL had a presumption that by contracting with Versus, they would have access to a wide audience through the two largest broadcast providers.

One of the biggest hurdles to acceptance of hockey - and bringing it back to the major networks - is common viewership. Without fans, the NHL cannot survive. Without broadcast access, the league doesn't have the pool of potential new fans that they need to keep the sport alive.

Has anyone heard of any moves by the NHL to intervene in this dispute?

Call DirecTV to complain (politely) and you'll get Center Ice for free this year.

Not much the NHL can do in a contract negotiation, besides putting a little pressure on both sides, which according to NHL.com, they have. It is just like the NFL Network/Comcast thing, but that was resolved at the 11th hour.

The league definitely has a stake in this, so I don't see why not.

The problem is that the NHL hasn't been very good at successful negotiations, as we found out during the lockout. Also, I don't think the league really cares that much, at least they don't act like they do.

So if I call DirecTv and say I WANT TO WATCH THE WINGS, they will give me center ice fo' free? Hm...

More along the lines of that you are disappointed that DirectTV dropped Versus from what I understand.

I wonder how cheap it is for DirectTV to be giving away CI like it's candy btw...