• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Phazon

is Ericsson going to be better than Kronwall?

Rate this topic

I think they are two different type of players. Although Big E chips in offensively sometimes he's still a defensive d-man. While Kronwall occasionaly gives those nice big hits he's still an offensive d-man.

Edited by Finnish Wing

I noticed yesterday that the team kinda fell apart when JE left the game with injury. What's the ceiling for this guy, will he be better than Kronwall?

Ericsson only played about 5 minutes. The Red Wings did not play a full 60, but they played more than 5 minutes. The issue was more having only 5 defensemen, so others have to play more minutes. Hard to say how good he will be. He has to play well consistently for a few years and stay healthy.

I think they are two different type of players. Although Big E chips in offensively sometimes he's still a defensive d-man. While Kronwall occasionaly gives those nice big hits he's still an offensive d-man.

Exactly. Ericsson has a hell of a shot so he'll get his goals, but mostly he is the defensive guy in his pair. Kronwall is the offensive guy who takes more chances. Right now Kronwall is more valuable, but Ericsson sure has been looking good if only we could find him a better partner...

Kronwall >>>>> Ericsson

Exactly. Let's not get carried away with Ericsson. Sure, he's good, and I suppose it's possible that one day he could be better, but it's pretty unlikely.

If anyone remembers Kronwall's performance in the World Championships from 2006...THAT'S what people are hoping he steps up to consistently. It may not happen, but his development isn't done either. I'm calling it right now - he's going to be, by the end of his career, a top 5 defenseman in the league.

Edit: As a side note, I found this on the Wikipedia article for Kronwall, and I thought it was pretty interesting:

I know one scout who tried to bring up Niklas Kronwall's name with his team. They just laughed at him. They never even had a serious dialogue. They just stopped him. They said 'a 5-11 Swedish defenceman?' [The Red Wings] organization is more open-minded than that.

—-Håkan Andersson, Director of European Scouting for the Detroit Red Wings

Edited by Zetts

He better be.

He won't skate as well as Kronwall because of his size, but he can be more of a dominant physical force. Also, he can score more goals because of having a better shot. They need to play him more on the PP, so we can see what he can do with that shot.

Also, Kronwall has a tendency to turn pucks over, and Ericsson seems smarter with the puck than him.

He better be.

He won't skate as well as Kronwall because of his size, but he can be more of a dominant physical force. Also, he can score more goals because of having a better shot. They need to play him more on the PP, so we can see what he can do with that shot.

Also, Kronwall has a tendency to turn pucks over, and Ericsson seems smarter with the puck than him.

Agreed.

It seems like even with much less NHL experience, Ericsson has a better game smarts than Kronner.

One thing about Ericsson is I know he has a cannon of a slapshot, but he seems pretty conservative in using it. With what I've seen, part of that seems like he has a long wind up so it takes time to get the shot off. Don't get me wrong, I like that he's holding back and making sure that his shot gets through and in deep. But I hope he keeps working on his slapper so he can use it more effectively from the point.

Kronwall >>>>> Ericsson

Right now? Of course.

In the future? Not necessarily.

Ericsson's role right now is to be a physical defensive d-man. That's why he's relied upon to kill penalties and why he was second to Abdelkader in preseason hits (and lead our d-men in hits during the playoffs).

In Grand Rapids he was a high-powered offensive d-man who made the AHL All-Star team because he was very effective on the PP. Having a 100mph slapshot ain't bad.

Once Ericsson gets top pairing minutes and regular PP time you'll see his offensive numbers boom, just like we saw with Kronwall when he was given the same opportunity. But unlike Kronwall, you can expect Ericsson to minimize turnovers and play a much more well-rounded game. Ericsson's still a guy who jumps up into the play, he just doesn't take as many risks when doing so and doesn't get caught pinching in as often as a result. Anyone who's watched Big E play for a while can tell you he's far from a stay-at-home d-man, though.

Agreed.

It seems like even with much less NHL experience, Ericsson has a better game smarts than Kronner.

One thing about Ericsson is I know he has a cannon of a slapshot, but he seems pretty conservative in using it. With what I've seen, part of that seems like he has a long wind up so it takes time to get the shot off. Don't get me wrong, I like that he's holding back and making sure that his shot gets through and in deep. But I hope he keeps working on his slapper so he can use it more effectively from the point.

Yup. Ericsson needs to drop more bombs from the point. That will come with more experience and confidence in his timing. But like you said-- being able to get the shot off quicker would really help him too.

While I agree Kronwall and Ericsson are two different kind of players, I couldn't disagree more that Ericsson is only a "defensive D-man". He was a natural forward when Wings drafted him... he's a goal scorer and has a hard shot and soft hands. I am predicting that latter in his career he'll put up more goals than Kronwall does.

Ericsson will be a more valuable defensemen than Kronwall in the near future.

While I agree Kronwall and Ericsson are two different kind of players, I couldn't disagree more that Ericsson is only a "defensive D-man". He was a natural forward when Wings drafted him... he's a goal scorer and has a hard shot and soft hands. I am predicting that latter in his career he'll put up more goals than Kronwall does.

Ericsson will be a more valuable defensemen than Kronwall in the near future.

Yeah, well he may have the future of being this "Chara"-type of player. He has a powerful shot and that's good for PP. But I dunno about his ability to see the game and make the first pass.

Yeah, well he may have the future of being this "Chara"-type of player. He has a powerful shot and that's good for PP. But I dunno about his ability to see the game and make the first pass.

I'm fine with him growing into being a Chara or Pronger style d-man. Those two guys seem to be who the national media compare him to, at least.

JonE drops the gloves. Nuf said.

Seriously, I think the time will come when we are glad we have both of them. If a comparison has to be made, given their different strengths, I do think that E will come out on top. And that's from a hardcore Kronner fan.

Naw i think people are underrating Kronwall a bit here.

Easy to say after he just scored. ;)

Honestly I think they're just different players.

Kronwall lays the big hits, is good on the power play, and has great offensive sense. He's an offensive Dman who's also good defensively.

Right now Ericsson is more of a stay at home guy (who will occasionally jump into the rush) but will hopefully continue to use his size around his own net. He has the potential to be like Fischer.

But both these guys are still developing. Ericsson only has 50 NHL games under his belt. And even though Kronwall has been in the league a while, due to his injuries early on he's really only played roughly three full seasons.

Neither of them will be as good as Fischer was going to be. Fischer was more talented offensively than Kronwall, and his primary responsibilities were defensive. He was the team's fastest skater and best hitter, as well as possessing a harder and more accurate shot than Ericsson.

Kronwall and Ericsson both have potential to be top notch defensemen. Fischer had Norris potential.

Neither of them will be as good as Fischer was going to be. Fischer was more talented offensively than Kronwall, and his primary responsibilities were defensive. He was the team's fastest skater and best hitter, as well as possessing a harder and more accurate shot than Ericsson.

Kronwall and Ericsson both have potential to be top notch defensemen. Fischer had Norris potential.

Fischer was our fastest skater? :rolleyes:

Also, he didn't have a harder shot than Ericsson and wasn't more talented offensively than Kronwall at any phase of offense.

Then again, you seem to think Hudler is one of the best players in the world, so I can't argue with mad reasoning.