• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Phazon

is Ericsson going to be better than Kronwall?

Rate this topic

Fischer was our fastest skater? :rolleyes:

Also, he didn't have a harder shot than Ericsson and wasn't more talented offensively than Kronwall at any phase of offense.

Then again, you seem to think Hudler is one of the best players in the world, so I can't argue with mad reasoning.

Fischer was the fastest skater during team competitions at training camp multiple times. As far as his shot, Fischer was clocked around 106-107 on several occasions. And he was more effective offensively than Kronwall every year they played together despite Kronwall getting more PP time and playing a more offensive style.

Also, Hudler is a very good player. About as good as Filppula, who most here seem to think is the second coming of Jesus.

Edited by eva unit zero

Fischer was the fastest skater during team competitions at training camp multiple times. As far as his shot, Fischer was clocked around 106-107 on several occasions. And he was more effective offensively than Kronwall every year they played together despite Kronwall getting more PP time and playing a more offensive style.

Also, Hudler is a very good player. About as good as Filppula, who most here seem to think is the second coming of Jesus.

During the games, Fischer was none of those things. That's more important than what he does in team competitions.

Is Hudler going to play for Detroit on friday? THERES STILL A CHANCE HE MIGHT PLAY!!!

Every year the played together? First of all, because he was injured so much, Kronwall was still fairly green at the NHL level when Fischer was around. He's hardly the player then he is now.

Also, they were rarely in the lineup at the same time.

in 2005-06 season, near as I can recall, the two never even played a game together. Kronwall didn't come back from injury until after Jiri had collapsed on the bench.

in 2003-04 Kronwall played a whopping 20 games.

in 2002-03 Kronner wasn't on the Wings.

so you're comparing Fischer to Kronner offensively in a 20 game stint 5 years ago?

I also think there's some revisionist history of Fischer. He had all the tools, but up until his last season, hadn't shown he had it between the ears. He would show incredible inconsistency and lack of judgement. It was his last season where he seemed to finally get it together.

And I wasn't trying to say Ericsson would be another Fischer. But that he could be more in that mold than Kronwall's style.

REALLY?

Seriously? Hudler was as good as the guy who's second-like PK, and on what many consider "the best third line in hockey"?

Hudler was small, had a good offensive mind, but was pretty awful on defense (for the Wings, not saying in general). Filppula is extremely responsible on both ends of the puck, and is an almost perfect playmaker/distributor. He's not gonna score many goals, but I guarantee that Williams and Leino will benefit from being on a line with him.

Hudler either seems to be overrated or underrated on these boards; no one seems to want to be honest and say that he was simply average, based on his good offensive play and poor defensive play.

I think I read somewhere that Ericcson was a forward as a youngster and was a good one. I'd like to think that would translate into great offense once he settles in with solid D at the NHL level. As to who is better, so what. I think Kronner needs a little discipline and smarts here and there and if he has that, he is a potent force.

Guest mindfly

Absolutely not and also the past two games ericsson was without doubt the worst player on ice along with the dead wings goaltenders.

A couple posters already said it, but I will chime in with my opinion. That is, yes, Ericsson does have the potential to be better then Kronwall in the future. Tremendous upside.

The best thing is that both guys will be in a Wings uniform for a very long time, cementing at a minimum a great first pairing.

Guest mindfly
How do you know? Were you there or something?

Yeah I watched it all from 20ft distance or something

Absolutely not and also the past two games ericsson was without doubt the worst player on ice along with the dead wings goaltenders.

Wow. calling them the Dead Wings because they lost two games??

I started watching them in the 80s when they were truly the dead wings. This current team (that won the cup and made it to game 7 last year) is hardly that.

And you must not have been watching Lebda. He was easily the worst Dman on the ice, and probably the worst Wings player.

Guest mindfly
Wow. calling them the Dead Wings because they lost two games??

I started watching them in the 80s when they were truly the dead wings. This current team (that won the cup and made it to game 7 last year) is hardly that.

And you must not have been watching Lebda. He was easily the worst Dman on the ice, and probably the worst Wings player.

Way to go and play like dead wings (oh yes) the first and only time this team went to sweden where they have a huge fanbase and be really brutal... abysmal..

Alright, not ericsson alone, change it to the 3rd pairing ok! .. and what the f*ck was up with the PK, passive the word of the day... and howard was a EPIC FAIL.. cover the five-hole dammit...he will never be a NHL goaltender

Way to go and play like dead wings (oh yes) the first and only time this team went to sweden where they have a huge fanbase and be really brutal... abysmal..

Alright, not ericsson alone, change it to the 3rd pairing ok! .. and what the f*ck was up with the PK, passive the word of the day... and howard was a EPIC FAIL.. cover the five-hole dammit...he will never be a NHL goaltender

Lebda was the D-man who singlehandedly got burned on those last two awful goals.

Ericsson looked fine to me.

Guest mindfly
Lebda was the D-man who singlehandedly got burned on those last two awful goals.

Ericsson looked fine to me.

Look at the goals against and look which d-men were on the ice, like game 1 on friday.

:rolleyes:

Now that's just not true....

Because I don't believe in Jesus.

I also refute that Filppula is the second coming of Jesus because I do believe in Jesus.

Isn't it wonderful how hockey unites us all?

As far as the original topic: Let's see how Ericsson does with a bit more NHL time under his belt. He was great in the playoffs, but let's give him at least a full season before we start to draw comparisons.

I'm high on the kid, and I think he'll be great. The above paragraph isn't a statement of cautious optimism, it's me being excited to see what he can do.

Look at the goals against and look which d-men were on the ice, like game 1 on friday.

:rolleyes:

uh, what are you rolling your eyes at?

Ericsson was Lebda's defensive partner. So of course when Lebda screws up and the puck ends up in the back of Detroit's net, it's a minus one for both of them.

Weren't you at the game?

The second to last goal, Lebda made a bad move to the boards and got beat. The last goal, Lebda somehow let a guy get behind him for a long bomb bank pass, which led to the clean slapper on Howard.

Two major gaffes where the puck ended up in our net. Ericsson wasn't a standout to me on Saturday, but he also didn't make any mistakes of that caliber.

Both of them made mistakes you can't get away from that

Name the costly mistakes Ericsson made that were anywhere near as bad as Lebda's.

ericsson will be fine. Lebda is a nightmare out there. And pairing him with an inexperienced guy like Ericsson isn't helping either of them. Of course, short of pairing him with Lidstrom, I don't know what would help lebda. One of the only things he has to offer is speed, and on Saturday the two goals were partly a result of getting outraced.

Whatever player we are talking about here, what I would like to see much more of here is the Bowman mindset. If you do well, you get more ice time. If you do poorly, you get less or benched. If you play well with someone that line stays. If you don't, the line is switched up. It is so simple and the best form of motivation there is - competing for your job every single game.

Filppula is extremely responsible on both ends of the puck, and is an almost perfect playmaker/distributor.

It's off topic, but Filppula is a good second line playmaker. Hudler was the second best playmaker on the team last year after Datsyuk. There's a wide disparity there. Hudler also has a considerably better shot and much better anticipation of what's going on. Like I said, overall they are comparable in ability. They each have different strengths, but overall they contribute a similar amount. Much like comparing Niedermayer vs. Chara... two players with noticeably different styles and skill sets who, overall, are very similar in ability and contribution.

Now, back to Ericsson vs. Kronwall, please.

I do think Fischer was better than Kronwall or Ericsson --

Fischer took a while to recover from his ACL injury, but was improving at an alarming rate after the lockout. He was slotted as a defensive defenseman, rarely receiving more than 30 seconds a game on the PP (but over 3 min a game on the PK) so just about all of his points were at even strength. 22 games into the 06 season, at only the age of 25, he was on pace for close to 25 even strength points and would have found himself on the PP sooner than later. Last year, 22 of Kronwall's 51 points came on the power play.

Even now, he outskills even the most skilled forwards of our prospects at camp when he is on the ice. He was just the complete package, and would just now be entering his prime. There is no doubt in my mind he would have become a top 10 defenseman in the league, and I would not have been surprised to see him become a Norris contender.

Agreed.

It seems like even with much less NHL experience, Ericsson has a better game smarts than Kronner.

One thing about Ericsson is I know he has a cannon of a slapshot, but he seems pretty conservative in using it. With what I've seen, part of that seems like he has a long wind up so it takes time to get the shot off. Don't get me wrong, I like that he's holding back and making sure that his shot gets through and in deep. But I hope he keeps working on his slapper so he can use it more effectively from the point.

I disagree, I think it just looks that way because while Ericsson carries the puck up ice he's no where near as aggressive nor is he asked to as aggressive.

Kronwall needs to pick his spots better in some cases but he has a high hockey IQ when the puck is on his stick.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA
I do think Fischer was better than Kronwall or Ericsson --

Fischer took a while to recover from his ACL injury, but was improving at an alarming rate after the lockout. He was slotted as a defensive defenseman, rarely receiving more than 30 seconds a game on the PP (but over 3 min a game on the PK) so just about all of his points were at even strength. 22 games into the 06 season, at only the age of 25, he was on pace for close to 25 even strength points and would have found himself on the PP sooner than later. Last year, 22 of Kronwall's 51 points came on the power play.

Even now, he outskills even the most skilled forwards of our prospects at camp when he is on the ice. He was just the complete package, and would just now be entering his prime. There is no doubt in my mind he would have become a top 10 defenseman in the league, and I would not have been surprised to see him become a Norris contender.

This sums up my exact thoughts on the subject.