• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RyanK

Will You Be Surprised if the Wings dont make the Playoffs?

Rate this topic

I see nothing wrong with the OP. It would create discussion if people weren't so quick to flame him.

After watching these 2 games, the Wings have some serious issues that need to be addressed over the next 20 games. If they continue to put forth the same effort of these 2 games, regardless the circumstances, it would not be surprising to see them sitting on the outside looking in down the road.

It is clear that chemistry is lacking right now, hopefully Babcock can find a way to fix that.

Keep the discussion on topic.

Insults, and posts that don't contribute constructively to the discussion will be removed.

Oops...hadn't read the "PM" thing on the next page. Oh well...

Umm...

Contribution: it would be insane to think the Wings won't make the playoffs.

Edited by gcom007

I said this in the GDT but it bears repeating here - I love this board when we lose a game. We've lost a grand total of 2 games out of 82 that we will play in the regular season and we're already talking about the possibility of not making the playoffs? In October? When they start in April? Of next year?

Allow me to reiterate please: We've played TWO games. TWO. T-W-O. 2. DOS. DEUX. A PAIR. That's it. Please relax.

I said this in the GDT but it bears repeating here - I love this board when we lose a game. We've lost a grand total of 2 games out of 82 that we will play in the regular season and we're already talking about the possibility of not making the playoffs? In October? When they start in April? Of next year?

Allow me to reiterate please: We've played TWO games. TWO. T-W-O. 2. DOS. DEUX. A PAIR. That's it. Please relax.

Wait, now I'm confused.

You are telling me that the season ISN'T over yet?

I wish people could read. I wish I had started this thread 3 weeks ago. Enough with the "ITS ONLY 2 GAMES CRYBABY!" bulls***. I've felt the same way since before the first preseason puck even dropped. I've explained why but people insist on calling me a naysayer and whatever other mindless insults they care to throw out because apparently I called their mothers ugly or something. I made a prediction about a sports team. Agree or not, but its absolutely retarded to insult me because your heart can't handle the thought of your precious PASS TIME not living up to your holy expectations.

I wish people could read.

We can.

I wish I had started this thread 3 weeks ago.

Why? People would have had more of a problem then.

Enough with the "ITS ONLY 2 GAMES CRYBABY!" bulls***.

What would you like us to say instead? It's been 2% of the season?

I've felt the same way since before the first preseason puck even dropped. I've explained why but people insist on calling me a naysayer and whatever other mindless insults they care to throw out because apparently I called their mothers ugly or something.

No, no I don't think that's it. "Naysayer" is not a mindless insult.

I made a prediction about a sports team.

That we disagree with.

Agree or not, but its absolutely retarded to insult me because your heart can't handle the thought of your precious PASS TIME not living up to your holy expectations.

Agree or not, but it's absolutely retarded to insult us because your heart can't handle the thought of your precious thread getting slammed by people who think it's too soon for this.

BTW, it's 'pastime".

I wish people could read. I wish I had started this thread 3 weeks ago. Enough with the "ITS ONLY 2 GAMES CRYBABY!" bulls***. I've felt the same way since before the first preseason puck even dropped. I've explained why but people insist on calling me a naysayer and whatever other mindless insults they care to throw out because apparently I called their mothers ugly or something. I made a prediction about a sports team. Agree or not, but its absolutely retarded to insult me because your heart can't handle the thought of your precious PASS TIME not living up to your holy expectations.

But it is just 2 games. If the season were just 2 games long, then your thread might have more legitmacy. But it's an 80+ game season. Plenty of teams are going to go on a 2 game losing streak this year.

Also, we're talking about a team that two years ago won a Stanley Cup and came 1 game short of another. It's unrealistic to think that they will just completely miss the playoffs all together the next season. Is it possible? Yes, anything is possible, but I can only recall two instances were Cup winning champs missed the playoffs alltogether next season - Carolina recently and New Jersey (in the late 90s? I know it was one year).

And to not expect backlash from a thread like this, given that it just has been 2 games and this team has been good for so long, is pretty naive.

You may not have intended for it to be a doom and gloom thread, but that's how it's going to come across to plenty of people.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

A bit ironic considering before the season started I was talking with a group of friends (including two Wings fans) and most felt the Wings are one injury away from missing the playoffs this year. The majority of us felt that the Wings lack defense. Let's face it, you guys didn't improve over the summer in defense and you have basically the same defense that let in an average 3 goals a game from last year.

Personally this Wings team can go either direction, 1 or out of the playoffs. Streaks will be a big factor this year for you guys.

So you are actually predicting that the Wings won't make the playoffs?

I can't believe some people are panicking already, I read and hear this kind of comments coming from Habs fans about there team every year and it make me laugh but this is not the Habs, the Red Wings have a great team and they will have a good season, like always there will be some ups and downs.

Let's Go Red Wings!!!

In all fairness to the thread starter, Wings are in last place.

Wings win a couple games and people like the thread starter will make different threads like, "Wings won't take 1st place in the regular season".

However, if the Wings are in 1st place, 12 points above every other team in the NHL with only 2 games left in the season, thread straters (like this OP) will make threads like "Wings will make 1st place in regular season".

I really want to learn how they make all these great predictions. They should become professional hockey analysis.

I agree with GS&T... if you're going to post something like this, man up and actually make a prediction. So you can't wiggle out by saying "I just said I wouldn't be surprised...", come out and say whether you think the Wings WILL or WILL NOT make the playoffs.

Me: The Wings will be a playoff team. I would be absolutely shocked if they did not make the playoffs.

Absolutely I'd be surprised. We're two games into the regular season. I hardly think that's telling of anything in terms of playoff potential.

Its not very telling at all, since I think changes are going to be made at some point. That could be some trades to dump Lebda and shore up the D, trade Howard for a pick/prospect and call up Larsson to backup Ozzie, or any number of things Holland will tweak. But he WILL tweak, folks, if this sorry play continues. So really, absolutely nothing to worry about at this point.

As an outsider (a Hawk fan who visits from time to time as i do many other teams boards) I would be surprised if they miss the playoffs but won't be surprised at what i see as a fairly steady and far falling decline over the next few years.

For this season the Wings have essentially lost a player off each line (Hossa, Samuelsson, Hudler, Kopecky) and are trying to replace them with castoffs and players from lower lines moving up. One of the reasons the Wings were good was they had that depth but now ...

Lose a 1st liner and a 2nd liner bumps up.

Also lose a 2nd liner and you are bumping up 2 3rd liners.

Also lose a 3rd liner and your whole 4th line is the 3rd line.

It didn't happen exactly that way but the signings the Wings are trying to plug in the holes are not good enough and it is time for some of you to be honest ... There is very little on the way.

The Wings were built in origin on the backs of great drafts from the mid 80's into the early 90's. From that point until recently with a deep pocketed owner money was freely spent to fill and holes as needed. Back in the big spender days moving picks to find those players was no problem, just sell more Pizzas and buy the players you need.

Now that is not an opotion and (IMO) it will hit the Red Wings harder and deeper than many other teams. Fact is they have nothing on the way that most would consider top flight prospects. This because of both winning and trading. Somethign like 92% of all NHL players come from the 1st 4 rounds and while you can all wave Zetterberg and Datsyuk in peoples faces that is over a lot of drafts and includes a lot of higher round failures.

2003 = no 1st, no 3rd, Howard and Quincey

2004 = no 1st, no 2nd, Franzen, McGrath

2005 = Possible 2nd pair D and 2 bottom 6 wingers.

Too early for the rest but you only had 2 1sts in those 3 years and because you were good none is higher than 27th. And only 2 2nd round picks over that period along with 4 3rds and a 4th.

The teams decline will be it's lack of depth, mostly caused by moving picks for players in the glory years. What do you really have to show (draft wise) for the 11 year period from 1994 to 2004? (Franzen, Filppula, Kronwall, Zetts and Dats and Holmstrom) Combine that with the above and the ages of your current stars and I don't think it is going to be pretty.

They will make the playoffs and actually depending on how Chicago and St. Louis mature they could even win ONE MORE division. However you can't consider them a cup threat and this will be the last year at or near the top of the mountain.

All of that of course is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

wings will make the playoffs, but 9 goals given up in 2 games ugh... the goal tending is a major issue. There is no Conks to be there for the wings while Ozzie is having another up and down season... Howard was really awful in 1 game he played so far