• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RyanK

Will You Be Surprised if the Wings dont make the Playoffs?

Rate this topic

Yeah. Again, read the part where I said OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER that this has nothing to do with the past two games. It has to do with what I already stated over and over and over and don't want to keep repeating myself for the sake of the people who dont care to read the whole thread before commenting.

That's fair, you thought even before the season that you wouldn't be surprised if they missed the playoffs. But that gives you a lot of wiggle room, so you're "right" no matter what the results of the season are.

Sack up and state for the LGW record if you think they will or will not make the playoffs.

ive said it last year and ill say it again. the wings won't win the cup with osgood in net. without someone like hasek in net (he was the playoff starter when we won) osgood will collapse. from the past four years, it looks like howard won't be taking the starting job from osgood, so i would have spent the post season looking for a veteran or proven goaltender. someone who could put pressure on ozzy for the starting roll, and split the season like hasek and ozzy.

but what do i know lol? lets go red wings!

Guest Crymson
But it's not worthy to get a 7th/8th seed and lose 4-2 in the first round and an early exist, conference final is the minimum imo, DRW is not like any other team.

Is this some sort of universal standard I'm unaware of, or are you just not realizing that these are the standards you personally have set for the team---standards that likely come of being totally spoiled?

ive said it last year and ill say it again. the wings won't win the cup with osgood in net. without someone like hasek in net (he was the playoff starter when we won) osgood will collapse. from the past four years, it looks like howard won't be taking the starting job from osgood, so i would have spent the post season looking for a veteran or proven goaltender. someone who could put pressure on ozzy for the starting roll, and split the season like hasek and ozzy.

This baffles me ... how exactly does Hasek deserve credit instead of Ozzie for us winning the cup in 2008? And are you suggesting Ozzie is the reason we lost last year? Last I looked we scored twice in the last 2 games, both with a chance to win the Cup. Don't remember Ozzie collapsing ...

I'm all for the split role in the regular season like the past 2 seasons if Howard can get in a groove somehow, but to say that Osgood isn't proven by now is pretty absurd.

Not bring up this whole mess again... but what exactly did hasek being the starter really have to deal with anything other than he had to be replaced for any amount of success in the post season. I mean Hasek played what 3-1/2 games and ozzie played 18-1/2 games?? We don't need ozzie to be the playoff opener starter to win... we need ozzie to be the playoff closer!

So what you are saying is that if osgood starts the first game we wont win the cup but it will be okay if he plays the next 3+ rounds to win the cup... gotcha!

and I like it!

Edited by OsGOD

Wow... Just...wow....

You do realize Pittsburgh only beat us by one goal, and Osgood was absolutely essential in our run to Game 7 in the finals? We were beaten by a single goal in Game 7. With a single lucky bounce, or Lidstrom's shot ringing INTO the net instead of to the side, we would have won the Cup with Osgood without Hasek.

Osgood just can't stay motivated to play the regular season, but in the playoffs he's a freaking beast.

I think it's both mind-numbing and hilarious how some people have already decided goaltending is going to be a hideous problem this season.

We've had TWO GAMES.

To be fair, considering Osgood was horrible all of last year and he is your #1 again this year, I don't think that saying Detroit's goaltending will be subpar this season is that much of a stretch.

To say goaltending won't be a problem for Detroit seems like more of a stretch to me.

Just sayin'.

Feel free to take what I said out of context.

Guest Shoreline
wtf couple bad games and we are not going to make the playoffs??? you do know how many games we play right?

I think one of the sportscasters from the NFL said fewer than 30% who go 0-2 make the playoffs. This is the NFL right?

Worst case scenario the Wings will be second in the West (behind the Hawks). No big deal.

So....not winning the central is "worst case scenerio" for you? Wow. :lol:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the worst case scenerio for Detroit is Osgood and Howard stink it up, Zetterburg and Datsyuk have season ending injuries early in the year, and they still feel they are in the race at the deadline so they trade some younger talent/picks for a rent-a-player and still miss the playoffs, and then the rent-a-player goes elsewhere next season.

THAT, is how you do worst-case-scenerio.

And, FYI, if the Wings finish behind the Hawks, they'll finish no higher than 4th in the West.

To be fair, considering Osgood was horrible all of last year and he is your #1 again this year, I don't think that saying Detroit's goaltending will be subpar this season is that much of a stretch.

To say goaltending won't be a problem for Detroit seems like more of a stretch to me.

Just sayin'.

Feel free to take what I said out of context.

Well considering goaltending has never been a problem for Detroit with Osgood as a starter since he has always had a winning record with the club, I don't see why it should start to be one now.

:ranting: THE BEST TEAM IN THE WORLD IS GOING TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS AGAIN...DON'T WORRY ABOUT THESE 2 LOSES...ITS ONLY THE BEGINNING OF THE SEASON...ITS TRUE THAT WE NEED A GOOD GOALIE...BUT ANYWAY, IT LOOKS LIKE ...OSGOOD, MCDONALD, DRAPER, MALTBY, AND LEBDA ARE NOT SUPPOSE TO BE ON THIS TEAM...THERE TIME IS LONG GONE...

GO RED HOT WINGS !!!!!!!!!

I know I shouldn't even touch this one but even worse than the grammar...

McDonald? Who's that?

Do you mean Joey MACDONALD? The goalie that is probably starting now for the Toronto Marlies?

Who was last seen in the Detroit organization in 06-07?

Don't be blinded by your ranting.

Well considering goaltending has never been a problem for Detroit with Osgood as a starter since he has always had a winning record with the club, I don't see why it should start to be one now.

I can see the point you're trying to make to the other poster, but come on now. Goalies who aren't a problem don't get random 10 day breaks in the middle of the season without injury. If Conklin weren't around, and if that team wasn't putting up as many goals as it was, they would have been in deep s***. It's too early to judge for this season, but it won't be ok if Osgood decides to only be a playoff goalie again. We need the D to tighten up, and for 07-08 Ozzie to show up.

after careful analysis I would give the wings about a 20-30% chance of making the playoffs this year.

you never have anything to say good on this website so go back to the penguins boards

I think one of the sportscasters from the NFL said fewer than 30% who go 0-2 make the playoffs. This is the NFL right?

And no one's crying panic over the Devils not making the playoffs, right? They've been beaten in their first two games, also by a division rival (NYR).

So....not winning the central is "worst case scenerio" for you? Wow. :lol:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the worst case scenerio for Detroit is Osgood and Howard stink it up, Zetterburg and Datsyuk have season ending injuries early in the year, and they still feel they are in the race at the deadline so they trade some younger talent/picks for a rent-a-player and still miss the playoffs, and then the rent-a-player goes elsewhere next season.

THAT, is how you do worst-case-scenerio.

LMAO... that sounds like a worst case scenario for a fan of a perinial s***ty team. For fans of a team that has been dominant for so long over their rivals... worst case is.... coming in second in the central.

We are at no risk of not making the playoffs. Goalies have come and gone (worse ones) and we have still managed to make the playoffs and dominate the west.

You're worst case scenario is more like an opposing fans "pipe dream" or "christmas wish list"

And no one's crying panic over the Devils not making the playoffs, right? They've been beaten in their first two games, also by a division rival (NYR).

Yeah, but nobody cares if the Devils make the playoffs. :ph34r:

Vancouver is 0-3. They're *certainly* not making the playoffs, right?

/sarcasm

Just because a goalie has a winning record, doesn't mean goaltending isn't a problem. I think it is pretty safe to say the goaltending was a problem for much of last year....even though it did not translate to much in terms of wins and losses.

It's also safe to say that goaltending has been a problem thus far this year, not the only problem for sure, but a problem and it has translated to losses.

However, we're only 2 games in, far too small a sample size to get too excited, so to answer the actual question, "yes" I will be surprised if they don't make the playoffs and I will also be surprised if they are not challenging for the top few spots in the conference.

:ranting: THE BEST TEAM IN THE WORLD IS GOING TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS AGAIN...DON'T WORRY ABOUT THESE 2 LOSES...ITS ONLY THE BEGINNING OF THE SEASON...ITS TRUE THAT WE NEED A GOOD GOALIE...BUT ANYWAY, IT LOOKS LIKE ...OSGOOD, MCDONALD, DRAPER, MALTBY, AND LEBDA ARE NOT SUPPOSE TO BE ON THIS TEAM...THERE TIME IS LONG GONE...

GO RED HOT WINGS !!!!!!!!!

:lol:

God, I just love this guy! Please... never change.

Just because a goalie has a winning record, doesn't mean goaltending isn't a problem. I think it is pretty safe to say the goaltending was a problem for much of last year....even though it did not translate to much in terms of wins and losses.

The only reason it was a problem last year was because it wasn't sure if Osgood would be able to perform well in the playoffs.

Osgood wins regardless of his save percentage. That has not been an issue since he has been in the league.

It's also safe to say that goaltending has been a problem thus far this year, not the only problem for sure, but a problem and it has translated to losses.

It translated to 9 regulation losses last season and one this season. Once again it's been one game that everyone is basing their discussion on.

However, we're only 2 games in, far too small a sample size to get too excited, so to answer the actual question, "yes" I will be surprised if they don't make the playoffs and I will also be surprised if they are not challenging for the top few spots in the conference.

That's my point.

Edited by Doc Holiday

All we need it to make it into 8th place in the west and let ozzie continue his dominance in the post season. We don't have any more Trojan Hossa's to f*** up our chances this year, so all will be well!

after careful analysis I would give the wings about a 20-30% chance of making the playoffs this year.

after careful analysis i postulate that you need to trade in your homer calculator for one that actually works!