• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Coolio Mendez

Can the Detroit Red Wings make history?

Rate this topic

Only once in NHL history has a team lost it's first two games and won the Stanley Cup (1948-49 Maple Leafs).

Are there any Wings fans who were comfortable with Howard's performance today?

How does Waiving him and signing Manny Legace for 700K or less sound?

Giggy for Rafalski?

Howard will learn and being called out by Babcock WILL help as well. Hopefully Ken Holland fires that clown Brad McCrimmon and finds someone who knows how to run a Red Wings caliber defensive system. Ever since McCrimmon showed up our d-men have been terrible defensively. If you score 3-4 goals a game, you SHOULD win.

Edited by Winged_Wheeler

Howard wasn't as bad as many on here try to paint the picture. After the Wings got the lead they pretty much just sat back and started playing not to lose... Howard was very solid even though two goals were soft. Howard got rattled, plain and simple. It was his first regular season game as the official backup for the Detroit Red Wings. He gets the pass for getting rattled. After Babs took the timeout, Howard turned it around and made a couple saves that would make Luongo blush. He was solid after the timeout.

Wings lost because they are still sleeping. They are not gel'n and they seem uninterested in the game.. unlike the 2008 team. Hopefully Babcock and Lidstom can shake up the team.

Wings are still a cup contender and I'm not ruling out the president's trophy. They should, at the very least, take 2nd or 3rd place in the West. Remember, teams always bring their A game against Detroit, too bad Detroit didn't bring theirs.

Howard will learn and being called out by Babcock WILL help as well. Hopefully Ken Holland fires that clown Brad McCrimmon and finds someone who knows how to run a Red Wings caliber defensive system. Ever since McCrimmon showed up our d-men have been terrible defensively. If you score 3-4 goals a game, you SHOULD win.

If the Wings struggle with the PK, I predict that Brad McCrimmon will be replaced sometime half way into the 2009-2010 season. He needs to go.

i was one who said give howard a chance this year but i didnt know it was gonna result from both goalies doing awful. ozzie will bounce back but i'd say if howard doesnt get it together in 5-10 games somewhere in there then i would say waive him because we could get another goalie who could step up better and probably not let in 5 goals in a game

agreed! Hopefully Chelios will realize he is done and coach.

I'm always doing the positive thinking thing. I always believe the Red and White will bring the cup home, and this season is no different. I see the first two games, even the first six, as an extension of the pre-season. Players have left cuz they didn't make the cut, lines have changed, and skaters aren't used to playing with each other yet.

I still believe that Detroit can take the Cup as well as the President's Trophy this year.

Only once in NHL history has a team lost it's first two games and won the Stanley Cup (1948-49 Maple Leafs).

Are there any Wings fans who were comfortable with Howard's performance today?

How does Waiving him and signing Manny Legace for 700K or less sound?

Giggy for Rafalski?

Anything's possible obviously, and it's an intersting factoid, but nothing to really get too giddy about IMO if it happens. People lose 2 games in a row all the time and it's an 80+ game season.

yeah and the Pirates will have a winning season next year as well......

It's only a week into the season, there's still boatloads of time for teams to make Cup runs and win divisions or the best record in hockey...

Give Howard until the end of November. Give him 10 starts, give Ozzy 10 starts more or less. If Howard doesn't win 50% of his games, something easily done on a team like Detroit, get rid of him. If Ozzy can't win 50% of his games, stick him as a back-up and find a #1 goalie. Doesn't have to be expensive, lots of good mid-range goalies are out their, 2-2.5 mill can get a top 10 NHL goalie.

The loyalty factor is really hurtin right now. Howard has his chance, he'll either succeed or fail. Don't let it go on for months. We got 3 other decent goalie prospects. Get an outside of the system goalie in a trade for 1-2 years, then try out one of the current prospects. If Howard doesn't cut it, just delay the process, get a Conklin type guy and wait for Larsson or McCollum to develop further.

I would like to give Jimmy at least a month or two to see if he can find his grove in Detroit. If he can't than I'd trade him for maybe a very low pick and see if we could sign a FA goalie otherwise I'm just not sure what I would do. Does anyone think Larsson could maybe come up? I'm going to say no to Larsson for at least this season but ya never know. I think the Wings will be just fine just give them some time.

Did those same Maple Leafs also start their first two games in a circus type atmosphere on the other side of the planet?

Those games meant nothing except to the poor native swedes who didn't get to see their hometown heroes win.

Real season starts when they get back to the states afaic.

yeah and the Pirates will have a winning season next year as well......

And you of all people, troll with the big ole' balls that signed up AFTER your team won game 7. Are you seriously comparing the Pirates to a team which is pretty much unanimously thought of as the premiere franchise in it's sport, year after year?

Whether you like the Wings chances or not, that's some perrty smrt logik rite thur!