• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest E_S_A_D

LGW is Pro-Enforcer: The Results are In.

Rate this topic

The whole "enforcers keep players from getting run" argument isn't exactly proven.

Yeah, that one, but especially the "everyone will play tougher" one is what I had in mind. I think these arguments would go a lot better if everyone was more like the first guy I quoted and said "You know what? I like watching someone on my team punch someone from the other team, sue me."

Just to get it out there: I'm pro-grit, I'm pro-guys who can throw down if the situation calls for it, but I'm not pro-plug who skates 2 to sit 5 from some staged boxing match with the other team's plug. At the same time, I think we can win with the team we have. I also think we can win with Brad May, but not necessarily because of Brad May.

Guest E_S_A_D
You know, I believe Detroit can win either way, but I want to comment on how much I enjoy E_S_A_D's posts. He is the perfect villain, and knows how to be funny. I wanna be the first to say LGW is lucky to have a member like you sir.

Thank you Superman54, I'm glad you get it. There are a few that don't understand ironic humor, yet they are my best opposition.

This thread needs more Europeans.

worms.jpg

Im technically European. What do you want me for? Intelligent input? Im afraid Im fresh out of that for the season. I do have lots of reserve stock of sarcasm and witty comments if need be.

Edited by uk_redwing

Since Kocur?...Remeber him?...The guy that scored the 1st goal in game 1 of the Cup Finals against the feared Flyers?...The guy that took runs at the opposition at will (while watching them skate away fully aware of a beatdown they'd get if they screwed with Joey), and because of his charismatic play his linemates at the time (usually Maltby, and Draper) played like they had a pair 'cause they knew someone was watching over them?...The guy that was part of back-to-back Stanley Cup victories?...I wonder what he's up to these days?

I know Kocur was the last one but it was a while which was my only point. Not that the Red Wings didn't have one or that he didn't provide intangibles. I loved Kocur but our last few fighters haven't been very good.

Guest micah
I know Kocur was the last one but it was a while which was my only point. Not that the Red Wings didn't have one or that he didn't provide intangibles. I loved Kocur but our last few fighters haven't been very good.

God knows I love the guy, but Kocur's 2nd go round in Detroit was an example of having a fgighter that "wasn't very good". He wasn't very active and lost fights to career punching bags Phil Crowe and Hal Gill.

God knows I love the guy, but Kocur's 2nd go round in Detroit was an example of having a fgighter that "wasn't very good". He wasn't very active and lost fights to career punching bags Phil Crowe and Hal Gill.

Same thing with Dmac and And Downy unfortunately. =/

Guest micah
Same thing with Dmac and And Downy unfortunately. =/

I don't remember any embarassing losses for Downey while he was with the Wings.

The results are in ladies and gentlemen *Drumroll*, from our Poll conduncted and much heated debate. Lets Go Wings forums has voted; triumphantly, the victor being "YES- RED WINGS NEED AN ENFORCER". The winning votes were verified at final time before the thread was closed by Moderator, Jedi.

I presumed that we would vote this way as so many don't comment in these forums that are pro-enforcer. However, a poll was needed. Well over 200 votes were tallied. Very significant and I am impressed by the activity of these forums on a daily basis.

Now, I am NOT the type of fan that jumps to conclusions after two games. Those that think the Red Wings will not make the playoffs this year are delusional. Two games, in Sweden mind you, is not even close to an accurate representation of our team's year. We WILL make the playoffs. However, I do think you see a couple of things happening. Let me hypothesize for you; using my great intellect, wisdom, hockey knowledge, and superior intelligence.

Here are my predictions:

1. The NHL has found its way around the obstruction rules. They are working to eliminate the needless hooks, etc. However, old school pre-lockout hockey is returning. Hence, you will see the Philadelphia Flyers and Toronto Maple Leaves return to the playoffs this year, with the intimidating factor in mind.

2. The Red Wings WILL once again carry an enforcer this year (Brad May). It won't be every game, but on a 1/3rd game basis. The symptoms are evident that the Red Wings illness is a lack of tenacity/ tougness. Big Rig cannot be asked to fight (period), Franzen has to quit with his 2 minute roughings or he will end up hurt, and our skilled forwards will benefit from the added security.

3. I will predict now that in games that we carry an enforcer/ May; we will have a winning percentage of 15% higher than those games that one is not dressed.

Now, doing my part to support LGW and drawing hits to the site, I will sit back with my Martini (Vodka/ Dirty of course) and watch this thread turn into a 10+ page thread.

The anti-enforcers, whom did I mention were outvoted, will try to ignore this thread. Yet, they will be our best customers.

I think you had your martinis BEFORE you posted this because it is just silly.

Brad May doesn't even have a contract with the Wings. He is unlikely to see the ice at the Joe at all. Do you really think that we are going to sign May and bring him up while we are sending Abdelkader to Grand Rapids?

And the results of the poll were what? What was the tally and how many of the registered users voted?

whatever...

Guest E_S_A_D
Brad May doesn't even have a contract with the Wings. He is unlikely to see the ice at the Joe at all. Do you really think that we are going to sign May and bring him up while we are sending Abdelkader to Grand Rapids?

whatever...

Oh Chris from Detroit, don't you read the news....? Holland said he wouldn't pursue contractual talks with May until after the Sweden trip. C'mon Chris from Detroit, keep up will you? Oh, do I also think they'd play May over Abdelkader? Yes, occasionally, that's the point.

Im technically European. What do you want me for? Intelligent input? Im afraid Im fresh out of that for the season. I do have lots of reserve stock of sarcasm and witty comments if need be.

I think we're all out of intelligent input. Sarcasm and wit are usually good more often than not.

Now that D.J. King is back from his injury, we have two enforcers in D.J. and Cam Janssen.

We will trade you one for Ville Leino. Everyone should be happy.

Edited by _Gassoff

Oh Chris from Detroit, don't you read the news....? Holland said he wouldn't pursue contractual talks with May until after the Sweden trip. C'mon Chris from Detroit, keep up will you? Oh, do I also think they'd play May over Abdelkader? Yes, occasionally, that's the point.

Yes, I keep up with the news but it don't see it happening. They might give him a 2 way contract but he isn't going to play for the Wings unless their are injuries and Abby will get first dibs. Abby is part of the Wings future, Brad May isn't.

Since Kocur?...Remeber him?...The guy that scored the 1st goal in game 1 of the Cup Finals against the feared Flyers?...The guy that took runs at the opposition at will (while watching them skate away fully aware of a beatdown they'd get if they screwed with Joey), and because of his charismatic play his linemates at the time (usually Maltby, and Draper) played like they had a pair 'cause they knew someone was watching over them?...The guy that was part of back-to-back Stanley Cup victories?...I wonder what he's up to these days?

IMO this whole "we need enforcers" argument went down the crapper in June of 2008 when we won the Cup without them. We actually had enforcers in Downey who never saw the ice and Mac who saw very limited time (6:22 per game in the 17 games and 0 in the other 5)

I don't know how you can argue that. We didn't use enforcers and we won. What happened? We got lucky and won 16 games?

Can anybody give me a rational explanation? Am I missing something?

Spot on concerning Moen, & Malhotra; these guys are quite handy when the playoffs begin.

Glad to see ESAD sticking around :thumbup:

Well, Moen signed for $1.5M and so did Willimas, Eaves signed for $500,000 and Malhotra signed for $700,000. I know Kenny is the man, but correct me if I am wrong, but aren't Moen and Malhotra the exact type of players Holland keeps saying he needs? Moen is WAAAAAAAAY better than Williams and Malhotra is WAAAAAY better than Eaves. I just don't see the reason behind NOT chosing these guys over the ones he signed...

IMO this whole "we need enforcers" argument went down the crapper in June of 2008 when we won the Cup without them. We actually had enforcers in Downey who never saw the ice and Mac who saw very limited time (6:22 per game in the 17 games and 0 in the other 5)

I don't know how you can argue that. We didn't use enforcers and we won. What happened? We got lucky and won 16 games?

Can anybody give me a rational explanation? Am I missing something?

Yes. Downey, Drake, Lilja and DMAC (to some degree) kept the rest of the boys from getting worn down all year so they could be fresh and excel in the playoffs.

You're welcome,

esteef

Yes. Downey, Drake, Lilja and DMAC (to some degree) kept the rest of the boys from getting worn down all year so they could be fresh and excel in the playoffs.

You're welcome,

esteef

Oh come on now. Lilja is an enforcer now. And Drake. Yea ok.

But how come we need enforcers only in the regular season?

Look, I'm ok if people like to watch fights. I agree it's entertaining but that's all it is. We don't NEED enforcers to win. We proved that by winning the Cup without them but they are fun to watch.

Guest E_S_A_D

Don't change your oil for 22,000 miles and let me know how the car runs a year later.

Guest micah

Look, I'm ok if people like to watch fights. I agree it's entertaining but that's all it is. We don't NEED enforcers to win. We proved that by winning the Cup without them but they are fun to watch.

I don't know if we ever *neeeeeed* an enforcer to win, but they are most beneficial durring the regular season. That's why the Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins played their enforcer durring the reg season and not in the playoffs. Just like the last Wings team to win it all, and the Ducks before them.

You're welcome,

esteef

How many man games were lost to injury last year?