Photo
* * * - - 12 votes

LGW is Pro-Enforcer: The Results are In.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
534 replies to this topic

#41 Doggy

Doggy

Meanwhile...

• HoF Booster
  • 4,345 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 10:06 PM

Obviously having an enforcer is useful. I voted no just in hopes that would win and you'd get pissed off lol. As if getting pushed around is a good thing. Luckily, I haven't seen that happen in the first two games. We still lost hard though.
Rough as guts.

#42 C-TownWing

C-TownWing

Little Ball of Hate

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 11:21 PM

QUOTE (TheBigRedMachine @ October 4, 2009 - 10:43PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I voted on the pro-enforcer side of the poll. Not because of statistics, hockey theory or an unhappiness with how things are going for the team but because I just love seeing someone in a Red Wings sweater punching someone not wearing one in the face.

Much credit to you. I sincerely wish more people would just admit that this is why they want an enforcer instead of inventing ridiculous theories to support it helping the team.

#43 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 11:49 PM

QUOTE (LeftWinger @ October 4, 2009 - 08:17PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We need May, and also we should have spent $3.7M on Bertuzzi, Meon & Malhotra instead of $3.5 on Bertuzzi/Williams/Eaves.... Just my Opinion...

Holland knows best...

Spot on concerning Moen, & Malhotra; these guys are quite handy when the playoffs begin.

Glad to see ESAD sticking around thumbup.gif

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#44 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 11:52 PM

QUOTE (C-TownWing @ October 4, 2009 - 11:21PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Much credit to you. I sincerely wish more people would just admit that this is why they want an enforcer instead of inventing ridiculous theories to support it helping the team.

Outta curiosity what theories have been conjured up?

#45 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

Huckleberry?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 12:08 AM

QUOTE (F.Michael @ October 5, 2009 - 12:52AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Outta curiosity what theories have been conjured up?

The whole "enforcers keep players from getting run" argument isn't exactly proven.

#46 thedatsyukian

thedatsyukian

I was terror since the public school era

• PipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 12:37 AM

QUOTE (Doc Holiday @ October 5, 2009 - 01:08AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The whole "enforcers keep players from getting run" argument isn't exactly proven.

Hold up. The Selanne quote says otherwise. I would say that makes it a proven fact that with May in the lineup we will go from getting pushed around to a team nobody wants to touch due to fear. thumbup.gif

We should find out in the next few days whether or not he will Holland will sign him. If I'm not mistaken he was quoted as saying he wouldn't make a decision on him until after we return from Sweden. Hopefully if he signs him then Babcock puts him in the lineup quickly so we can see what he's going to bring to the table before to far into the season. Well, and I'm curious to see how good a fighter he is. We haven't had a GOOD fighter since.... never mind.

Edited by thedatsyukian, 05 October 2009 - 12:39 AM.

kay

#47 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 01:16 AM

QUOTE (Doc Holiday @ October 5, 2009 - 12:08AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True - however not having guys capable of dropping the mitts doesn't help the situation either.

Guess I'd rather have the threat of "payback" vs having no threat of "payback".

We all know "payback" is a ***** rolleyes.gif

#48 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 01:24 AM

QUOTE (thedatsyukian @ October 5, 2009 - 12:37AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hold up. The Selanne quote says otherwise. I would say that makes it a proven fact that with May in the lineup we will go from getting pushed around to a team nobody wants to touch due to fear. thumbup.gif

We should find out in the next few days whether or not he will Holland will sign him. If I'm not mistaken he was quoted as saying he wouldn't make a decision on him until after we return from Sweden. Hopefully if he signs him then Babcock puts him in the lineup quickly so we can see what he's going to bring to the table before to far into the season. Well, and I'm curious to see how good a fighter he is. We haven't had a GOOD fighter since.... never mind.

Since Kocur?...Remeber him?...The guy that scored the 1st goal in game 1 of the Cup Finals against the feared Flyers?...The guy that took runs at the opposition at will (while watching them skate away fully aware of a beatdown they'd get if they screwed with Joey), and because of his charismatic play his linemates at the time (usually Maltby, and Draper) played like they had a pair 'cause they knew someone was watching over them?...The guy that was part of back-to-back Stanley Cup victories?...I wonder what he's up to these days?

#49 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

Huckleberry?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 01:27 AM

QUOTE (F.Michael @ October 5, 2009 - 02:16AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
True - however not having guys capable of dropping the mitts doesn't help the situation either.

Guess I'd rather have the threat of "payback" vs having no threat of "payback".

We all know "payback" is a ***** rolleyes.gif

Sure, but the point is that the Wings safety, well-being, and success doesn't hinge on if they have an enforcer.

In 1997 having a gritty team up and down the lineup was the key to Detroit's success. They have had to adapt and now play a more finesse style (that has worked), and they do not rely on the gritty system they once did.

Would I love an enforcer like May on the team? Hell yes. Do I think that without an enforcer like May the Wings will not succeed? Hell no.

#50 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 01:37 AM

QUOTE (Doc Holiday @ October 5, 2009 - 01:27AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sure, but the point is that the Wings safety, well-being, and success doesn't hinge on if they have an enforcer.

In 1997 having a gritty team up and down the lineup was the key to Detroit's success. They have had to adapt and now play a more finesse style (that has worked), and they do not rely on the gritty system they once did.

Would I love an enforcer like May on the team? Hell yes. Do I think that without an enforcer like May the Wings will not succeed? Hell no.

By no means am I implying that the Red Wings need an enforcer to succeed; just saying having a few guys (rather than 1 legit goon I'd rather have 2 to 4 guys who can play, and drop'em when needed) on the roster will give our guys a bit more confidence throughout the game, and more or less a boost in moral in the locker room.

#51 Pavel Hossyukstrom

Pavel Hossyukstrom

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 02:12 AM

We can just clone Kocur and Probie 20 yrs younger
Champions are made of metal!!

#52 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 02:41 AM

QUOTE (Pavel Hossyukstrom @ October 5, 2009 - 02:12AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We can just clone Kocur and Probie 20 yrs younger

You get the ether, and I'll get the syringe; just 1 drop of blood is needed for the cloning (or so what I've heard) crazy.gif

#53 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:12 AM

This thread needs more Europeans.

#54 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:38 AM

We need...LUDVIG BORGA!
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#55 micah

micah

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:49 AM

QUOTE (SouthernWingsFan @ October 5, 2009 - 07:12AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. Guys like David Koci, Ratis Ivanans and Krzysztof Oliwa would make this a better thread.
"It was pretty interesting," said Detroit coach Mike Babcock. "We had May in exhibition for a couple of games and no one gets hacked or whacked. When we don't have him, we get run. We don't have a team that twists off helmets at stoppages. You get tired of seeing it all the time. It's just nice when you get someone to look after that stuff."

#56 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:16 AM

Do you guys really think one lonely enforcer would help a whole team full of pansies? I would think a couple or few rank and file guys who will drop the mitts on occasion would serve us better than one "enforcer".

Edited by kook_10, 05 October 2009 - 08:18 AM.

works every time

#57 C-TownWing

C-TownWing

Little Ball of Hate

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:45 AM

QUOTE (Doc Holiday @ October 5, 2009 - 01:08AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, that one, but especially the "everyone will play tougher" one is what I had in mind. I think these arguments would go a lot better if everyone was more like the first guy I quoted and said "You know what? I like watching someone on my team punch someone from the other team, sue me."

Just to get it out there: I'm pro-grit, I'm pro-guys who can throw down if the situation calls for it, but I'm not pro-plug who skates 2 to sit 5 from some staged boxing match with the other team's plug. At the same time, I think we can win with the team we have. I also think we can win with Brad May, but not necessarily because of Brad May.

#58 E_S_A_D

E_S_A_D

“Ridicule is the tribute paid to the genius by the mediocritie

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:54 AM

QUOTE (Superman54 @ October 4, 2009 - 09:14PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know, I believe Detroit can win either way, but I want to comment on how much I enjoy E_S_A_D's posts. He is the perfect villain, and knows how to be funny. I wanna be the first to say LGW is lucky to have a member like you sir.

Thank you Superman54, I'm glad you get it. There are a few that don't understand ironic humor, yet they are my best opposition.
I like a man who grins when he fights. ---Sir Winston Churchill

#59 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:22 AM

QUOTE (SouthernWingsFan @ October 5, 2009 - 01:12PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Im technically European. What do you want me for? Intelligent input? Im afraid Im fresh out of that for the season. I do have lots of reserve stock of sarcasm and witty comments if need be.

Edited by uk_redwing, 05 October 2009 - 09:23 AM.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#60 thedatsyukian

thedatsyukian

I was terror since the public school era

• PipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:22 AM

QUOTE (F.Michael @ October 5, 2009 - 02:24AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Since Kocur?...Remeber him?...The guy that scored the 1st goal in game 1 of the Cup Finals against the feared Flyers?...The guy that took runs at the opposition at will (while watching them skate away fully aware of a beatdown they'd get if they screwed with Joey), and because of his charismatic play his linemates at the time (usually Maltby, and Draper) played like they had a pair 'cause they knew someone was watching over them?...The guy that was part of back-to-back Stanley Cup victories?...I wonder what he's up to these days?

I know Kocur was the last one but it was a while which was my only point. Not that the Red Wings didn't have one or that he didn't provide intangibles. I loved Kocur but our last few fighters haven't been very good.
kay