• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
cboth686

Rafalski for Giguere? Yes or No?

Rate this topic

Rafalski for Giguere?  

74 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Assuming he would waive his NTC. In a second I'd do the deal. Giguere is one of the top 10 goalies in the league, and in his prime, perhaps would say top 3. With Detroit's system, a big goalie would be lights out.

Detroit spends the most money of any team on defense. Do we have the best D in the league? Maybe top 5, but the stats from last season would say we had one of the worst. For what we pay our top 4 D guys (around 20 million, a third of the salary cap) are we really that good? If you removed one guy, would we really be that worse? Of the 4 guys, Rafalski is probably the most expendable. He plays with Lidstrom, something Ericcson could probably do just as well. He is good on the power-play. But 6 million?

Detroit is a decent goalie away from winning the presidents trophy every season. Osgood can't cut it in the regular season. Howard can't cut it.

Straight up, I would welcome anyone to make a decent arguement that the Wings would be worse off with Giguere (or Biron, or any of those 5-6 million dollar goalies) then Rafalski.

The Wings spend more then any other team on defense, and the least on goaltending. Why did the Wings play so poorly in last years regular season? Defense and goaltending. Why did the Wings lose the first two games of this season? Defense and goaltending. The Wings don't have a scoring problem, they have a goaltending problem. And replacing Rafalski with any other D-man in the league would not make the D any worse.

If the wings traded rafalski, it would devestate the power play. He is the only defenceman on the roster with a right handed shot, so how would that look? Sure Ericsson would move up to the PP, but then the top unit doesn't have the chemistry of a left and right handed shot. Do you really want the top PP to have Williams on the point ? Oh, and Rafalski has a NTC, which he will NOT waive.

Yes, in a second.

Isn't Giguere's contract up before Rafalski's? Positive #1.

Rafalski is a nice offensive defenseman. He looks better on the Wings because his offensive numbers are bouyed.

Rafalski is a soft player, and really, can anyone say that we can't do better than his "effort" on Staal's SH goal in Game 4?

Give Kindl a shot. Move Ericsson up. You then still have Osgood for playoff hockey, the only time he really cares.

Assuming he would waive his NTC. In a second I'd do the deal. Giguere is one of the top 10 goalies in the league, and in his prime, perhaps would say top 3. With Detroit's system, a big goalie would be lights out.

Detroit spends the most money of any team on defense. Do we have the best D in the league? Maybe top 5, but the stats from last season would say we had one of the worst. For what we pay our top 4 D guys (around 20 million, a third of the salary cap) are we really that good? If you removed one guy, would we really be that worse? Of the 4 guys, Rafalski is probably the most expendable. He plays with Lidstrom, something Ericcson could probably do just as well. He is good on the power-play. But 6 million?

Detroit is a decent goalie away from winning the presidents trophy every season. Osgood can't cut it in the regular season. Howard can't cut it.

Straight up, I would welcome anyone to make a decent arguement that the Wings would be worse off with Giguere (or Biron, or any of those 5-6 million dollar goalies) then Rafalski.

The Wings spend more then any other team on defense, and the least on goaltending. Why did the Wings play so poorly in last years regular season? Defense and goaltending. Why did the Wings lose the first two games of this season? Defense and goaltending. The Wings don't have a scoring problem, they have a goaltending problem. And replacing Rafalski with any other D-man in the league would not make the D any worse.

There is so much wrong with this post I cant even address all of this right now.

But seriously, Giguere a top ten goalie in the league? Come on, his play has dropped considerably since the Conn Smythe. Did you watch any Ducks games last year he was awful. IMO:

Luongo

Brodeur

Thomas

Lundqist

Vokoun

Miller

Backstrom

Nabokov

Khabibulin

Roloson

Giguere hasnt even been close to touching anyone on that list. I'm pretty sure he came pretty close to even have a losing record last year, ON THE FREAKING DUCKS.

Giguere has a NTC as well. He isn't leaving sunny so cal for Detroit. Plus his son has that degenerative eye disease, that receives regular care from a doctor locally.

I can't see the team getting rid of a local boy that has been very dependable and a good partner to Nic. I would think Nic would have a say in it.

Last season at the deadline, I said a trade for Minnesota goalie Backstrom for Franzen. But that was before the Franzen deal and Hossa departing.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA
There is so much wrong with this post I cant even address all of this right now.

But seriously, Giguere a top ten goalie in the league? Come on, his play has dropped considerably since the Conn Smythe. Did you watch any Ducks games last year he was awful. IMO:

Luongo

Brodeur

Thomas

Lundqist

Vokoun

Miller

Backstrom

Nabokov

Khabibulin

Roloson

Giguere hasnt even been close to touching anyone on that list. I'm pretty sure he came pretty close to even have a losing record last year, ON THE FREAKING DUCKS.

Including Roloson in that list makes it lose credibility. As for the bolded comment, I really would consider Gigure better then Nabokov and at many times Vokoun and Khab. Nabokov literally has to be the most overated goalie of all time, he has never posted UNREAL stats, mearly above average, and has never stole a series. He is basically the definition of slightly above average, and Vokoun and Khab have been two of the most inconsistant goalies the past few years. Both can play lights out, but both can be absoulotly dreadfull at any given time. The fact that Gigiure has more cup rings then those 3 combined along with better reg season and PO stats overall, im inclined to like Gigiure.

Seriously if you're going to call out another poster at least have good examples and explain why. I even think either Mason from STL or Preds, is a better goalie then Roloson currently and will easily be considered in overall carear after 2-3 years. Roloson had one good playoffs, ever since that he has been TERRIBLE... were talking like he should even be a backup in the NHL

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Seeing as how Giguere hasn't been good since what, 2003? I'd pass on any trade involving Giguere.

Exactly what I was thinking, people think we need to address our goaltending situation because it's inconsistant and Giguere is the answer to that?

I'm honestly shocked that this has gotten 8 votes for yes.. I'd consider Giguere for the backup role for MAYBE a late round pick.

Including Roloson in that list makes it lose credibility. As for the bolded comment, I really would consider Gigure better then Nabokov and at many times Vokoun and Khab. Nabokov literally has to be the most overated goalie of all time, he has never posted UNREAL stats, mearly above average, and has never stole a series. He is basically the definition of slightly above average, and Vokoun and Khab have been two of the most inconsistant goalies the past few years. Both can play lights out, but both can be absoulotly dreadfull at any given time. The fact that Gigiure has more cup rings then those 3 combined along with better reg season and PO stats overall, im inclined to like Gigiure.

Seriously if you're going to call out another poster at least have good examples and explain why. I even think either Mason from STL or Preds, is a better goalie then Roloson currently and will easily be considered in overall carear after 2-3 years. Roloson had one good playoffs, ever since that he has been TERRIBLE... were talking like he should even be a backup in the NHL

Ya, but I have seen Gigueres play drop off considerably , and hardly at all for any of those guys besides Khabibulin or Nabokov. Roloson has been pretty consistent for a while now in my opinion way more than what Mason has shown.

Luongo

Brodeur

Thomas

Lundqist

Vokoun

Miller

Backstrom

Nabokov

Khabibulin

Roloson

Those guys over guys like Kipper and Mason?

On topic: I think Raffi has that NTC, but otherwise it would be a great deal. Although our D wouldn't look that good then. Maybe Raffi + forward <-> Giguere + defenseman.

Edited by Finnish Wing

FACT: With Osgood having arguably his worst season of his career, and basically the current defense corps, Detroit nearly won it last year.

FACT: Osgood is the best postseason goaltender in the league over the past couple of seasons. Giguere has been as inconsistent as Ozzie in the regular season and has not looked nearly as strong in the postseason.

In other words, you are so concerned about a slight improvement in regular season record that you would give up an important piece of our defensive lineup to vastly reduce the performance of our goaltending in the postseason. Unless of course you plan to start Giguere in the regular season and Osgood in the postseason?

FACT: With Osgood having arguably his worst season of his career, and basically the current defense corps, Detroit nearly won it last year.

FACT: Osgood is the best postseason goaltender in the league over the past couple of seasons. Giguere has been as inconsistent as Ozzie in the regular season and has not looked nearly as strong in the postseason.

In other words, you are so concerned about a slight improvement in regular season record that you would give up an important piece of our defensive lineup to vastly reduce the performance of our goaltending in the postseason. Unless of course you plan to start Giguere in the regular season and Osgood in the postseason?

Maybe it's not about Ozzie. More about Howard and not having as solid backup as Conklin was. Osgood-Giguere could be a dominant duo for us.

If Raffy didn't have a NTC I'd say yes.

That guy is just money in the playoffs, and is a more consistent regular season goaltender.

But Raffy DOES have a NTC. Would the Ducks even want to do this deal?

Did you watch him play last year? Giguere is done.