No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dominator2005

No Panic - HUGE NEWS

Rate this topic

http://detnews.com/article/20091005/SPORTS...n-Wings--lineup

Meech to replace Lebda in Wings' lineup

Chris McCosky / The Detroit News

Detroit --Red Wings coach Mike Babcock will make at least one change before the home-opener Thursday. He said Monday that he will use Derek Meech alongside Jonathan Ericsson on the third defense pairing, replacing Brett Lebda.

Babcock called the move a coach's decision, one not based on any injury. Lebda struggled in the first two games (minus-3).

Darren Helm (shoulder) is eligible to come off the injured list Thursday, but it looks like it's going to take a little longer before he's ready to play. He has been skating with the team for more than a week, but he says the shoulder is still tender. He isn't ready for full contact just yet.

Advertisement

Babcock also said that it could be a while before Jimmy Howard gets another start, but that's a function of the relaxed schedule and not Howard's performance Saturday.

"It's important now for Jimmy not to dwell on it," Babcock said. "Everybody lets in bad goals. Marty Brodeur (New Jersey goalie) lets in bad goals, but what he does he responds. He knows he's the best and he acts like he's the best. That's what you do and that's what Howie has to do.

"Don't dwell on stuff. Focus on the positive and make the next save."

We are going to be fine now!!!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

unless Meech royally screws the pooch, or barring an injury, Lebda will not see a game from anywhere other than the press box for awhile... Meech drastically outplayed him in the preseason and the only reason Lebda was given the nod in the first place, was his seniority... as soon as Lilja is off LTIR, Lebda will be dealt. Count on it.

unless Meech royally screws the pooch, or barring an injury, Lebda will not see a game from anywhere other than the press box for awhile... Meech drastically outplayed him in the preseason and the only reason Lebda was given the nod in the first place, was his seniority... as soon as Lilja is off LTIR, Lebda will be dealt. Count on it.

What teams are actively looking for useless defensemen? Lebda provides no offense (save for the other team) and his defensive positioning/tendencies are atrocious.

The only question I have is why Meech? Don't we have other D down in the grifs that may be better than him? I personally would rather see Kindl or even Janik instead.

they arent ready, and meech deserves a real shot.

What teams are actively looking for useless defensemen? Lebda provides no offense (save for the other team) and his defensive positioning/tendencies are atrocious.

I didn't say we were going to get a first round pick in exchange... he's a bottom pairing guy on most other teams in the league, especially ones that don't have speed on the back end - we could get a mid-level prospect or a late draft pick for him - just because he doesn't fit in our system, doesn't mean he wouldn't fit elsewhere and maybe even thrive... he just doesn't serve a purpose here.

The only question I have is why Meech? Don't we have other D down in the grifs that may be better than him? I personally would rather see Kindl or even Janik instead.

I personally wanted to see us carry Delmore as our number 7 and move Lebda before the season began... more grit, right handed shot and a CANNON from the point... could have been great on that 2nd PP unit instead of Williams...

I personally wanted to see us carry Delmore as our number 7 and move Lebda before the season began... more grit, right handed shot and a CANNON from the point... could have been great on that 2nd PP unit instead of Williams...

I think Delmore would be worth trying, no doubt about it.

Thing is, Lebda isn't "useless", he's a good 6th dman. He does bring some offense and he has proven that he can play good in the playoffs. While I agree Lebda isn't playing great now and he's not worth a first round pick, I do believe he has value and isn't "useless" like you claim.

Last year when Babcock benched Lebda, he came back solid and showed strong worth ethics. Like I said, he's a fine 6th d-man and isn't overpaid. Wings/Holland get a nice late pick for him. Maybe the kind of pick that lands us a Zetterberg-or-Ericsson-type-player (210th - 291st overall). One can hope.

Now that idea I like, and Ive respected meech for a couple years now as a come up and fill in kind of guy ( more less cause he can play anywere) but we need that steady 3rd pairing...and another cannon of a shot would be great back there!

Meech drastically outplayed him in the preseason

LOL They both are unacceptably bad.

Please, try Janik. He is bad too but... at least can drop the gloves.

Edited by RusDRW

Some people here could be very surprised by Meech's ability to suck. Hard as it might be to believe, he has been worse than Lebda so far. That said, he's still fairly young so it's worth giving him a shot. Plus, he's more versatile; he can suck at multiple positions...

Wouldn't get your hopes very high though.

:ph34r: Lebda, Howard, and a 4th round pick for Biron...You heard it here 1st :ph34r:

Something like that could work. Biron's trade value can't be that high, cuz Isles are packed with goalies now: Biron, Roloson, DiPietro and Koskinen who was the first goalie drafted. Biron and Koskinen both worth of trying. Although I think Biron is cheaper when dealing and would be a lot more valuable as we already have Larsson and McCollum as future goalies.

I'm not familiar with the trading rules. Can you trade like: Lebda + forward + Howard + draft pick <-> Biron?

Get it done Kenny!

Edited by Finnish Wing

Some people here could be very surprised by Meech's ability to suck. Hard as it might be to believe, he has been worse than Lebda so far. That said, he's still fairly young so it's worth giving him a shot. Plus, he's more versatile; he can suck at multiple positions...

Wouldn't get your hopes very high though.

haha. Well said.

Just give up on Howard already for god's sake. How many chances are we gonna give this guy? He ain't Martin Brodeur, he's not gonna respond because he ha nothing to respond with.