• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CenterIce

Howe compliments Ovechkin

Rate this topic

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Ovechkin is quickly becomming my favorite non-wing player ever. He is simply the most enthusiastic player in the league as long as the most exciting. Players like him and Pavel are the reason I love this game.

We might as well close the thread right now. The poster was right. It is a fact and should not even be debated.

Ovechkin is definitely my favorite non-Wing player. He does it all, hits, scores, has enthusiasm for the game, and has a great attitude.

Ovechkin is hands down my favorite non-Wing player. He is awesome on the ice, I love watching him. I am pumped about going to Saturday's game because of it (though I will obviously still be cheering for the Wings)!

Ovechkin is hands down my favorite non-Wing player. He is awesome on the ice, I love watching him. I am pumped about going to Saturday's game because of it (though I will obviously still be cheering for the Wings)!

:thumbup: Me too! I told my husband that even if the Wings play like crap, the upside is we get to see Ovie! So excited!

Man, am I going to be pissed when some coach tells him to be a better two-way player and not worry about scoring so much and it's a TEAM game.

I love watching this guy and he lays it all out there every time. He is my fave to watch right now.

Guest CaliWingsNut
Man, am I going to be pissed when some coach tells him to be a better two-way player and not worry about scoring so much and it's a TEAM game.

I love watching this guy and he lays it all out there every time. He is my fave to watch right now.

considering his paycheck... it'll be a while.

I have had the chance to watch him play twic live. He is so much fun to watch. You can see the true love he has for the game.

I think the best part about him is that he is willing to hit as well as take a hit. He is my favorite non wing hands down.

I really hope i can get to the joe saturday to watch him.

I think the general consensus around here is OV > Cindy.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. Speed, checking, shot, and appeal are all greater. The only thing that is lacking is on ice vision when it comes to passing/playmaking. However, offensively OV is IMO more likely to dominate a game.

Want to see him paired with Datsyk. Chances are slim though... we'll see something like Semin - Fedorov - Ovechkin at Olympics :(

No chance that Fedorov plays with Ovechkin - Russia's top two centres will be Malkin and Datsyuk.

I grew up in Michigan and am a lifelong Wings fan, but I live outside of DC now. I have seen Ovechkin play many times, and the guy is good. He's fast, has a quick and hard shot, and can hit. He's definitely not a two-way player, but a pure scorer plain and simple. He's also a fairly nice guy. When my son's Mite hockey team was at the Verizon Center to play between periods, a group of them went down to the ice to watch the Caps warm-up. Ovechkin saw them, came over, and flipped a puck up and over the glass to them and waved hello. Kids playing hockey in this area look up to him, and he's exciting to watch. People expect him to score on every shift, which of course doesn't happen, but everytime he touches the puck, you almost get the feeling he will.

Want to see him paired with Datsyk. Chances are slim though... we'll see something like Semin - Fedorov - Ovechkin at Olympics :(

I hear that but I think seeing him paired with Gino and Kovalchuck or Kovalev will be just as awesome...imagine Dats, Malkin and Ovie! Wow

favorite non-wings players:

Alexander Ovechkin (obvioulsy)

Mike Richards

Milan Lucic

If any of them ever for any reason became Wings i wouldn't know what to do...i'd be so happy!

Guest gofish

I tried and tried not to hop on Ove bandwagon, but i can't. The kid is a f-in magician, I was watching the Flyers v Caps game a few days ago, and he straight out embarassed Chris Pronger.

I tried and tried not to hop on Ove bandwagon, but i can't. The kid is a f-in magician, I was watching the Flyers v Caps game a few days ago, and he straight out embarassed Chris Pronger.

dude...that game was last night!

Echoing the sentiment of many LGWers, Ovechkin is my favorite non-wing player in the league right now. Hes an amazing player, but its also the way he puts himself across. He has fun with the game, and doesn't take himself too seriously either (see last season's all-star skills comp).

As far as Cindy goes...

Howe>Ovechkin>Cindy

"There's 18 guys sitting down and he's the only one who jumped up to shake my hand," Howe said. "He shows respect for the older players."

Contrast that with the Lidstrom/Crosby thing.

Could you imagine a Malkin Datsyuk Ovechkin line.

That would just be overkill, albeit potentially ridiculously talented. But I can't see him using Datsyuk and Malkin on the same line. Especially when Kovalchuk, Semin and Kovalev needs to be worked in somewhere...

Hmm, you mean when Pronger and Timonen kept on not letting him by towards the end of the game and in OT? :P

I must admit, that having Ovechkin and Semin centred by Nicklas is hench. Though I still prefer the Flyers (after Detroit, they're the team I like the most, partially because they're the only NHL team I've seen play) - I'm so jealous that they got Betts, and for an incredibly cheap 1-year deal...

Edit - grammar.

Edited by NGKEIB

Guest mindfly

Thing is Ovechkin basically always scores, even on bad days the dude does something spectacular... a player like zetterberg needs to be on the top of his game to even come close to ovechkins abilities... or make us WOW at him, Ovechkin is always WOW

Edited by mindfly

Fedorov is too old to beat Malkin out of the top scoring centre at the olympics. Datsyuk is so defensively sound that the coach will likely put him on the second line and use that line against the other team's best players to best utilize Datsyuk's defensive dominance on a team that will be defensively deficient. They'll want to try and get Ovechkin out against the opponent's weakest lines so they can maximize his chances of scoring, and thus he'd be a bad choice to put with Datsyuk if Dats is their best defensive option. Feds is still a strong defensive player (although, given his age, he's not as good as he was in his prime), so you'll see him on the 3rd line in a checking role.

EDIT:

I do think you'll see Datsyuk centre Ovechkin on the PP since Malkin's used to playing the point in that situation. Now that will be a sick PP.

Edited by Drake_Marcus