• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
TheDetroitRedWings

Pat Lafontaine wants a few rule changes

Rate this topic

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_dadd...?urn=nhl,194300

At first I was immediately put off. But the more I think about it the more I want to see some sort of change too. I'm not necessarily saying I agree with everything Pat said, but I would like a rule change during the last minute of the game. That way teams can't try to be cheap if they're only up a goal, knowing the clock is ticking. The opposing team should have a fair shot to tie it up, instead of having a whopping 15 second powerplay or something like that. Nevertheless it is some interesting stuff. What do you guys think?

I like the idea, and have thought about it before. But last 5 mins is probably too long, keep it set as "last minute" and you can go for the penalty shot. I don't think it should be changed to majors, because it's unfair to the other team if it's been tied up. They're now forced into OT w/ the PK or they lose because of that same penalty.

I like going back to unreleasable penalties, keeping the same length. I also think that the penalty shot should be an option if the full penalty won't be served in regulation.

That's just me, though.

Edited by Theophany

My only concern is it rewards teams with say one super skilled player and detracts from the team effort.

If they did change something then just change it to all penalties last the full duration period. Should see less dumb penalties as a result.

I don't like it. It takes away the importance of special teams. It just overall sounds ridiculous when a weaker team suddenly has a chance to come back down 2 goals to tie it up. This would be terrible during playoffs. Sure it sounds exciting, but it's definitely a major momentum swinger. It's already hard enough to win the Cup, don't need to make it any harder.

I'm on the fence though about all 2-minute penalties should be majors. I kinda like it, I kinda don't. It would definitely put more emphasis on special teams.

Edited by dropkickshanahans

I would like to see the 2min penalties enforced like majors but one thing I kind of want is if you score short handed, your player should come out of the box on the 2min penalty. Might be a bad idea, but it was an idea in the back of my head.

I love la-la-la-lafontaine but this is a team sport, and whats wrong with the system now? Its stupid to try and give the lossing team some help, just to make things interesting . Let them try and get it back the old fashioned way .

Edited by Superman54

I love la-la-la-lafontaine but this is a team sport, and whats wrong with the system now? Its stupid to try and give the lossing team some help, just to make things interesting . Let them try and get it back the old fashioned way .

Just pointing out, minors were enforced the same as majors until 1956.

So the "old fashioned way" would be the second thing that he suggested. ;)

I still don't even like shootouts to end a game, so I'm vehemently opposed to the PS option idea. Unreleasable penalties, on the other hand, I wouldn't have a huge problem. And I like skyphoenix's idea of your guy coming out of the box if you score a shortie, too.

I don't like the shootouts at all. it comes from watching a lot of soccer games which ended with wrong team losing

or even being eliminated through this contest. hockey shootouts are still more fair because there is much more place

for player's skill than luck (which is what soccer penalties are basically all about) but it is a contradiction to the very

nature of the game: a team effort.

truth being said, I think Pat has a good point - if there's a chance of reducing protective play by one goal leads

and add some entertainment, then it's definitely worth to be considered. maybe not in this shape but if there's a good

idea how to reduce such "total defenses" and add some excitation to the game - I'm in.

not in this shape but there's a good point in the discussion

I dont like the penalty shot idea at all. As far as the let the penalty last the full duration....I dunno. Wouldn't be all bad really. Well for the Wings right now it would be probably cause teams would be scoring 2-3 goals on a 2 minute penalty.

they could just do what they do in pond hockey... A penalty in the final min of play automatically results in a goal.

the only problem with anything is that you are going to see a wealth of players diving and s*** at the ends of games to try to get their team a much needed penalty shot!

I would say if a penalty is taken in the last 2/4 minutes that the penalty should be allowed to fully expire even if the clock has run out. Example: You're down 1 with 45 seconds left and the opposing team gets a penalty. If you don't score within the 45 seconds the game clock would reset to the 1:15. In overtime (reg. season only) this would also apply.

I think it would take away from clutching and grabbing and throwing people around (like game 6 vs Anaheim last year) in the final minute and allow for more scoring.

The one thing that is really great about what LaFontaine is saying is the 2 minute major. I like the idea of that. Another change I'd make is to allow the refs to hand out 10 minute misconducts more freely. So if a player starts causing a problem in a game (See Mighty Ducks Team), the ref can hand out as many 10 minute misconducts as it takes to effectively kick the player out of the game without assessing a match penalty that over penalizes the player. For example, Getzlaf starts acting like an ass and slashing/running guys when the Wings are up 4 - 0 in the 2nd period of a playoff game. The Ref blows the whistle and assesses him four 10 minute misconducts. See ya, Getzlaf. Hit the showers or watch from the penalty box. Either way.

Guest Shoreline

I like goals, but what the hell is the point of making such radical changes to the power play system when it doesn't even look broken? Bigger fish to fry than that.

i like the rule about the player who gets the penalty stays in the box for the whole two minutes,but i suggest that if there is a penalty in the last 2 mins of the game no matter if its a five min major or a 2 min minor that happens with 30 seconds left the team should have the oportunity to try to score for the duration of the powerplay even if its longer than the period.and if the team scores 1 min into the powerplay the teams go 4 on 4 for the remaining time that is left on the powerplay.

Like the idea that was suggested re teams that score shorthanded get rewarded by an end to the penalty too...would reward a more aggressive approach on PK. Not sure about unreleasable penalties, but I do think maybe they could work as a sort of bridge between standard penalties and 5 min majors, giving officials a 3rd option? Like the idea of a PS on a major or misconduct in the last minute, as it might stop losing teams gooning it up on late and might limit the really cynical cheating that can take place in the last 30 seconds or so fo games...maybe try them in the exhbition season next year...?

i like the rule about the player who gets the penalty stays in the box for the whole two minutes,but i suggest that if there is a penalty in the last 2 mins of the game no matter if its a five min major or a 2 min minor that happens with 30 seconds left the team should have the oportunity to try to score for the duration of the powerplay even if its longer than the period.and if the team scores 1 min into the powerplay the teams go 4 on 4 for the remaining time that is left on the powerplay.

Hmmm. That one sounds kinda crazy, but I actually do like it.