• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Heaton

Franzen out 4 months with torn ACL

Rate this topic

If they're not getting goal scoring and are slipping in the standings they'll make a big move. Having $5.5 million on the books at the deadline is pointless if you can't get into the playoffs.

Move Kronwall + + + + + as many picks as needed for Kovalchuk now. Makes our PP better instantly and gives Datsyuk a guy to play with.

If they're not getting goal scoring and are slipping in the standings they'll make a big move. Having $5.5 million on the books at the deadline is pointless if you can't get into the playoffs.

Move Kronwall + + + + + as many picks as needed for Kovalchuk now. Makes our PP better instantly and gives Datsyuk a guy to play with.

That might be tough. There have been reports out that Kovalchuk is going to stay in Atlanta.

That might be tough. There have been reports out that Kovalchuk is going to stay in Atlanta.

There are also "reports" that hes going to be paid $12 million a season. And "reports" that he wants out and "reports" that hes staying.

What incentive does Atlanta have to keeping a team competitive when they sign Kovalchuk for a decade? If he signs an Ovechkin deal he has no gaurantee with his future. On the other hand, if he goes to a team like Detroit with an owner who fields a competitive team every season and is willing to spend every dime to the cap.

Guest Shoreline

f***. This offense already looked a bit unimpressive.. this sure is gonna make things interesting. Who's gonna step up?

There are also "reports" that hes going to be paid $12 million a season. And "reports" that he wants out and "reports" that hes staying.

What incentive does Atlanta have to keeping a team competitive when they sign Kovalchuk for a decade? If he signs an Ovechkin deal he has no gaurantee with his future. On the other hand, if he goes to a team like Detroit with an owner who fields a competitive team every season and is willing to spend every dime to the cap.

Sounds like you're ready to hit the panic button. Franzen will be back before the playoffs, and if we somehow trade for Kovalchuk knowing Franzen will return, then we're in deep s*** cap-wise. Kovalchuk is out of the question, we have plenty of depth that have shown they can step up (see last year's playoffs).

Edited by dropkickshanahans

Let's do some math...

Last season:

289 goals scored

-Hossa (40g)

-Hudler (23g)

-Samuelsson (19g)

-Franzen (17g since he's gone for half the season)

-Kopecky (6g)

-Lilja (2g)

+Leino (~20g)

+Williams (19g)

+Bertuzzi (15g)

+Eaves (6g)

+Ericsson (~10g)

= 252 goals scored

If we look at the list of goals scored last year that puts us 6th in the league, just ahead of the Sharks. If you eliminate the eastern teams that's good for 2nd. I didn't include Helm in the + list because the guys he'd be pushing aside (Maltby or Draper) aren't any less effective than he is offensively-- so he's a lateral move in terms of offense.

In other words, this isn't as big of a deal as it's being made out to be.

It's worth noting that last season was

Terrible news, just terrible. Lets hope his rehab goes well and he can play before the season is out and be a 'playoff acquisition'. I'm a bit concerned about his massive long term contract though, he's already 29 and an ACL injury isn't a good start.

The Red Wings had the following lines in practice:

Filppula-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Bertuzzi-Zetterberg-Cleary

Leino-Helm-Williams

May-Draper-Maltby (Eaves working in)

Franzen (out)

Flip with Dats. :thumbup: I also didn't mind Holmstrom playing with Flip at times late last season, brought out the physical play in Flip.

Sounds like you're ready to hit the panic button. Franzen will be back before the playoffs, and if we somehow trade for Kovalchuk knowing Franzen will return, then we're in deep s*** cap-wise. Kovalchuk is out of the question, we have plenty of depth that have shown they can step up (see last year's playoffs).

Franzen tore his ACL. Even if by some miracle he comes back before the playoffs, he wont be in game shape. If Holland can get Kovalchuk he would obviously sit Franzen until the playoffs.

And this isn't a panic button, its the perfect opportunity to get possibly the best goal scorer in the league for a legitimate shot at the cup.

Kovalchuk-Datsyuk-Pylon

Cleary-Zetterberg-Franzen

Very solid top six, possibly the best in the league.

Ohhhh god, the more I think about this; the more I allow the fact that Franzen is out for four months, only if we're extremely lucky, sink into my brain, the more I want to

dwightscreams.gif

Has anyone figured out where he might have gotten injured in last night's game? Did he get hit good along the boards last night? I can't remember.

Are You Serious?????

All Against Chicago?

Yup...home opener for the Hawks in the 07-08 season...Sopel caught him with a knee coming through center (I was there) and then the first time they met last season again in Chicago (Oct 25 I think was the date) and now again last night...

Franzen tore his ACL. Even if by some miracle he comes back before the playoffs, he wont be in game shape. If Holland can get Kovalchuk he would obviously sit Franzen until the playoffs.

And this isn't a panic button, its the perfect opportunity to get possibly the best goal scorer in the league for a legitimate shot at the cup.

Kovalchuk-Datsyuk-Pylon

Not looking to start a message board battle, but what makes you think you can acquire Kovy, I would think a number of teams would lke to have him and may have a better offer to give. Forgive me if I don't know your farm systmen but is a sure fire prosepct out there that Atlanta would want? Your team will be fine you still have a great blue line and some pop up front but it will make for a tougher season then you guys are use to seeing, good luck..

Kovalchuk-Datsyuk-Pylon

Heck if Holland somehow made it work then by all means, but we don't know how serious the tear is. From what I've picked up from it, it has to be the smallest of tears, because Franzen DID play through it the whole game and the staff obviously wants it taken cared of immediately to prevent any further tear which is probably why they say he'll only miss 4 months since it sounds minor compared to most ACL tears. And even if it's longer, Franzen WILL see ice time at some point this season and with only $3 million to play with, I don't see us getting Kovalchuk without giving up another player or more with a contract large enough to cover his and Franzen's once he returns, which I'm willing to bet Holland will not do just to secure a top tier forward for one season.

We had our chance last year with a big name forward but that's a different situation. Point is with the cap the way it is, it's gonna be a long time before we ever see a high caliber team like we had last year put together.

Not looking to start a message board battle, but what makes you think you can acquire Kovy, I would think a number of teams would lke to have him and may have a better offer to give. Forgive me if I don't know your farm systmen but is a sure fire prosepct out there that Atlanta would want? Your team will be fine you still have a great blue line and some pop up front but it will make for a tougher season then you guys are use to seeing, good luck..

Every year some opposing fan of some up and comer team comes here and says the exact same thing on the heels of some bad news. Welcome to the club. T-shirt is in the mail.

Heck if Holland somehow made it work then by all means, but we don't know how serious the tear is. From what I've picked up from it, it has to be the smallest of tears, because Franzen DID play through it the whole game and the staff obviously wants it taken cared of immediately to prevent any further tear which is probably why they say he'll only miss 4 months since it sounds minor compared to most ACL tears. And even if it's longer, Franzen WILL see ice time at some point this season and with only $3 million to play with, I don't see us getting Kovalchuk without giving up another player or more with a contract large enough to cover his and Franzen's once he returns, which I'm willing to bet Holland will not do just to secure a top tier forward for one season.

We had our chance last year with a big name forward but that's a different situation. Point is with the cap the way it is, it's gonna be a long time before we ever see a high caliber team like we had last year put together.

We have Maltby, Holmstrom, Howard, Bertuzzi and Williams coming off the books next season. There is also the possibility of Lidstrom retiring. All it would take is moving only the salary of Kronwall in a trade for Kovalchuk and Franzen being on LTIR for the majority if not all of the season.

If Atlanta trades Kovalchuk and its not a sign in trade than they're not going to get some blockbuster package that everyone acts like they would. If they're trading Kovalchuk to a team with the understanding he signs a long term extension, then yes of course they'll get a decent package.

There are very few contending teams going into next season with as much cap space as Detroit.

We would have to sell our teams future to get Kovalchuk at the deadline, literally at least 2-3 first rounders, a top prospect(Ericsson/Kindl/Tatar/Abby), and a good player (Kronwall/Franzen/Flip). Kovalchuck is a top 5 player, as much as I'd like him on our team I would not want to trade for him. Not to mention we need better middle-salary players then anything else.