• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Heaton

Franzen out 4 months with torn ACL

Rate this topic

Lidstrom's replacement is Brian Rafalski.

False. Rafalski was signed to replace Schneider. He's 3 effing years younger than Lidstrom. It'd be legally retarded to sign someone virtually the same age as Lidstrom as his replacement. Furthermore, Rafalski's two-way play is lacking and everyone knows it. He's not horrible defensively, but he's far from being a PKer. Lidstrom's replacement, in addition to being a significantly younger than him has to fill the same role, which Rafalski does not.

And thus just in, Ilya Kovalchuk isn't even 30 yet. How is trading a #3 defenseman who has never lived up to his potential and forced Holland to sign Rafalski, for Kovalchuk a problem?

Because it's retarded? Again, you're wrong about why Rafalski was signed. Kronwall was 11th in defensive scoring last year, breaking the 50pt mark. He'd be a #1 d-man most teams. In 07-08 he was the team's assist leader and the highest scoring d-man in the league through the first round of the playoffs. He's not Lidstrom by any stretch of the imagination but he's certainly good enough to be our #1 in a few years.

And apparently not many people actually understand LTIR. Every day that Franzen is out, that salary can be used for another player. Morrow was out six months, Markov is going to be out till the playoffs and Kopecky and Kronwall both sat an entire year almost. But miraculously, Franzen is going to heal up in three months.

All depends on the severity of the tear. If the Red Wings released a time-line of 4 months (since you seem to have trouble reading the title of the frigging thread) the tear is obviously not severe. Markov wasn't given a prognosis of the entire season either, again you're bulls***ting. The Montreal Canadians released a statement saying he'd be out as long as 4 months. What's October plus four months? February. Guess when the season ends? The first week of April-- as in 2 months later. Nice try though.

The Red Wings aren't going to say 4 months then only to have him sit for 8 months-- there's no reason to lie about it. If that's the time they said then that's the time the doctors and physiotherapists said. Period. When Morrow tore his MCL and ACL they said he was done for the season and likely playoffs- they didn't say 4 months only to have it change. You're completely misrepresenting the facts here.

Kronwall is 29 years old... he isn't replacing anyone.

He's a decade younger than Lidstrom. He hasn't even entered his prime (defenemen hit it later than forwards).

How can the guy who thinks Rafalski, who's 3 years younger than Lids, was the replacement argue that Kronwall is too old to be?!?

Yes. Detroit will trade for Kovalchuk and the NHL and Gary Bettman will allow Detorit to go over the Cap for the next few years. This will be a first in the New CBA, and you heard it here first!

Good God People!

Edited by rage

This hurts more than you might think. He was a scoring threat with 5 on 5, but now our PP will be a shell of what it could have been. There is no consistent net-front presence now. Homer is ok, but he isn't Franzen. As for rolling 2 good PP lines, that doesn't happen now.

Babs will probably make the first PP line Dats-Z-Cleary/Homer and the second Leino-Flip-Bert/Cleary. Sorry, but as good as those lines look, they would be MUCH better with Franzen in the mix. Actually, now that I think of it Babs will probably keep Z and Dats separate on the PP just to try to manage 2 lines.

Cleary-Dats-Homer

Flip-Z-Bert

As for the Kronwall + Prospects + Picks for Kovalchuk.... I'd do it. Have you seen that f*cker play???

Nothing is going to happen until the trade deadline. It's a tough situation no doubt, but Holland isn't going to make some freak move and mortgage the future. With Franzen out we will probably be seeing a rotation between Abdelkader, Eaves, May, and Maltby on the bottom lines. We will be getting Helm back soon, which will add a boost. As long as we can keep our PP up and hone in on the PK we'll be in a good position when the Mule gets back...

You took this picture at the game, didn't you?

I think I can see one of the Chicago players skating off in the background there!

Looks more like a donkey to me...

Agreed.

Although I will say I thought Meech looked pretty solid last night. I didn't notice him like I usually do Lebda and that's all you really can hope for a third pairing player.

I'll second that.

And to the guy who worries that Franzén's injury will get rid of a PP net presence, they clearly haven't watched any Wings games this year. Franzén has not been in front of the net, because he's usually out there with Holmström. I don't think that net presence will be affected, as we'll still have Holmström and Cleary.

Well we don't really know about that, do we? If you put Dats centering this Kovalchuk guy he may be the one. Ovie has had Backstrom you know.

And I hear that Ovechkin has a small tendency to focus more on shooting than, say, passing, or defense. If you get off 20 shots a game, some are bound to go in.

Well we don't really know about that, do we? If you put Dats centering this Kovalchuk guy he may be the one. Ovie has had Backstrom you know.

Kovalchuk is amazing. He's 26 and has 301 NHL goals. Ovechkin will probably hit 300 next season too but there's no doubt as to who's had the better supporting cast so far in his career.

Just saw this on - of all places - Sky Sports News. Shocked is an understatement. Like others I am dubious that he will be back after 4 months. You can't rush knee injuries. Well, you can, but it normally ****s you up forever more.

So now we're missing Franzen, Lilja, Conklin, Hossa, Hudler, Samuelson and Kopecky from last seasons roster :o

Speaking as a physio...

RECONSTRUCTIONS of ACLs, at this point in time of medical practice, will take 6-9 months of rehab. I stress the word 'reconstruction' because if it's a minor tear, then we're looking at a totally different story. Going by thesportingnews.com, it seems that Franzen will go under the knife. I assume this will be the case, and if not ... then disregard everything I write from here on in :P

ACL reconstructions and subsequent rehabs are funny things in that it's the one operation/condition/tear that always seems to have researchers and surgeons finding and experimenting new ways of of doing things. Without getting too technical, standard procedure would be to take part of his hamstring or quads tendon and use it as a new ACL. There are, however, techniques where you can use synthetic materials. If this is the option, then the 6-9 month timeframe maybe a lot shorter. It does vary quite a bit in this case, and the fact is, no one is 100% sure as to how long it will take in this situation. There is a higher risk with this option, though, and generally speaking, most surgeons opt for the conventional "longer" option since there's less risk involved. Personally, even if it means being out for the rest of the season, I'd go the safer option. Contrary to what many believe, the recovery from a reconstruction is quite good, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if Franzen returned to his former ability. I'll go so far as to say that I'm expecting it.

The long and short of it is that it's quite possible that Franzen will be back in 4 months, but from experience I would look more towards 6. This is probably the best-case scenario and anything shorter than this timeframe would mean that there is more (or less?) to the injury than we know, or the surgeons and rehab staff are doing something unconventionally. Unfortunately, if you do the math, it's a realistic fear to think that he might not be back for the playoffs.

Some people say it's a 12 month injury. Technically, no. That was the case around two decades ago but we've advanced from then. However, rehab can be slow which would put you "out for the season" and make it seem like 12 months. Let's hope to God this isn't the case!! Oh, and to dispell another myth. A blown ACL does not mean that you must be limping, or that you can't walk. Quite often it's the opposite. I've had many patients who have sprained their knee, come off in pain, but then the pain goes away so they return to the game. A week later, we get an MRI and the doc goes, "um... you DO realise your ACL is gone." Yes, it's a funny ligament.

Once again I *stress* that this is all to do with full ACL tears that need a reconstruction. Hopefully we're not going down this road, but I'm not confident about it :(

And for what it's worth, we'll be fine. No need to panic shop for new players yet. See what the younger guys have in store for us, before any knee jerk reactions. However, one thing is for sure... if our defense and goaltending from last year returns then I see us scrapping for 7th or 8th spot in the conference come March.

The way I see it ... we now have a "nothing to lose" mentality. On paper, over 100 goals from last season lost?! Are you kidding me?? Man, the rest of the league will be expecting us to drop off significantly this year now. We can happily go about business with less pressure and weight on our shoulders.

The season just got interesting....

Edited by Superted

Def takes more than 4 months if surgery is required; unless there's additional damage to the knee joint (meniscus tear) there hopefully won't be any serious issues, and the knee can be "almost" as good as it was prior to the injury.

Most acl tears require surgery. Even a slight tear is a gamble when not opting for surgery with the threat of scar tissue building up in the knee joint.

Most acl tears require surgery. Even a slight tear is a gamble when not opting for surgery with the threat of scar tissue building up in the knee joint.

Not necessarily. If it's a slight tear, you would consider not having surgery. Yes, scar tissue can build, but if it's only a slight tear, then how significant the scar tissue would be is debatable. Surgery is mainly reserved for major tears, or complete full-blown tears. You technically don't need an ACL to go about daily life. Many people choose not to, but rather choose intensive rehab on knee strengthening to make up for the loss of knee stability. An elite sportsman, however, is a different story.

This is all academic though, since it's pretty much a lock that he will have surgery, given the info released to the press.

Not necessarily. If it's a slight tear, you would consider not having surgery. Yes, scar tissue can build, but if it's only a slight tear, then how significant the scar tissue would be is debatable. Surgery is mainly reserved for major tears, or complete full-blown tears. You technically don't need an ACL to go about daily life. Many people choose not to, but rather choose intensive rehab on knee strengthening to make up for the loss of knee stability. An elite sportsman, however, is a different story.

This is all academic though, since it's pretty much a lock that he will have surgery, given the info released to the press.

I hope this is not a Hatcher situation all over again.

This appears nothing like Hatcher's injury. Hatcher was dragged off by two teammates and was pale as a sheet. You knew his ACL was busted clean through. Mule finished the game and scored the winning goal. I think four months sounds to be a reasonable period for what appears to be a minor tear. A friend of mine has done both to his knees. When he tore it, it was a nagging injury that would occasionally swell with heavy use but he could deal with. When he busted it landing from a jump shot, he went off the court on a stretcher and had to have re-constructive surgery.

My memory fails me ... but did he end up having an entire knee replacement after chronic cartilage problems? If so, then that's pretty much it for your NHL career.

Franzen's is an entirely different type of injury so don't fear.

But yes, let's hope it doesn't end up like Hatcher!

Edited by Superted

This whole thing reminds me...

Where I live, there was an elite footballer who blew out his ACL completely. Instead of the conventional surgery, he had a particular synthetic graft - the 'riskier' option which I mentioned before. Instead of a 6-9 month rehab, he was back playing after about five weeks................ well, he was back at training after five weeks at least. :P All up, he was back to play at his elite level about 3 months following surgery.

Needless to say it astounded all of us in the rehab and orthopedic profession.

Edited by Superted

Come on, look:

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Holmstrom

Leino-Filppula-Cleary

Bertuzzi-Helm-Williams

May-Draper-Abdelkader/Eaves

It's not that bad.

I'm looking at things your way too...I like your line combos as well...Not sure if it's just me but I'm not a fan of the Bert-Z-Cleary line at all....I know the whole team needs to step up but that line looks really lost on the ice. I mean our grinders look decent: Maltby is one of our scoring leaders so far :blink: , May is doing his job :thumbup: , and Draper is chipping in. I think we need to give the Fins the second line mins to get them going, and re-unite the eurotwins is the best idea I've herd in a while.

I'm looking at things your way too...I like your line combos as well...Not sure if it's just me but I'm not a fan of the Bert-Z-Cleary line at all....I know the whole team needs to step up but that line looks really lost on the ice. I mean our grinders look decent: Maltby is one of our scoring leaders so far :blink: , May is doing his job :thumbup: , and Draper is chipping in. I think we need to give the Fins the second line mins to get them going, and re-unite the eurotwins is the best idea I've herd in a while.

As far as the Bert-Z-Cleary line goes, Babs is probably trying to put out an improvement of the Mule-Z-Cleary line. He always has to remind Franzen to be physical and finish checks. He probably thinks that if Franzen did more of those things then that line would be amongst the best in the NHL. Babs was probably hoping that Bert would provide the things that Franzen did and then some. Although he's a better passer and isn't as shy at dishing out the physicality, Bert doesn't have as much of an aptitude for defense and doesn't skate as well as Franzen. It's a very reasonable line - I just think its upside isn't all that high. Yet we haven't really seen that line at its best considering that Zetterberg is at 70%.