• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
XxGoWingsxX

Franzen's injury

Rate this topic

I agree to the some extent that this could be a good thing for organization in overall. From a different point of view... Look we have to good forward ready to play for a big club in Abdelkader and Helm. I don't want them to be in minors as they are already ready to contribute. Both have enough of telent to be slid 2nd line contributor just like Franzen. Playing 4th line minutes does not help them to elevate their skill. More importantly playing with career 4th liners in Maltby, Draper or May may significantly affect their style. Look what Draper and Maltby always do in the offensive zone - they circle the puck and do not even look for any scoring opportunities to create. They just shooting the puck to the net and that's all. I do not want Helm and especially Abdelkader to stuck to that style. Franzen's injury allows us to put these guys at scoring lines giving them an opportunity to learn a different style of the game playing alongside with Zetter, Dats, Cleary, Willisams, etc. guys who are creating opportunities themselves. Do not forget that Franzen was promoted to the scoring line in exactly the same situation - Cleary was injured.

Its not a good thing.. since Babcock is unable to make lineup changes ever unless his hand is forced. So now Datsyuk is going to be playing with Homer and someone else that will do nothing with his passes. Zetterberg will be stuck with two offensive anchors on his line(Cleary, Bertuzzi) and the third line will continue to role.

Datsyuk and Zetterberg should have never been separated a year and a half ago but its Mike's wet dream.

I know that Bertuzzi isn't a defensive stud, but while is forecheck is non-existent, he is actually backchecking. Furthermore, to call Cleary an 'offensive anchor' who Zetterberg is stuck with is ridiculous. He is one of our most versatile players, plays on the PK, is defensively sound, and had the best plus/minus of any player in the playoffs.

I agree to the some extent that this could be a good thing for organization in overall. From a different point of view... Look we have to good forward ready to play for a big club in Abdelkader and Helm. I don't want them to be in minors as they are already ready to contribute. Both have enough of telent to be slid 2nd line contributor just like Franzen. Playing 4th line minutes does not help them to elevate their skill. More importantly playing with career 4th liners in Maltby, Draper or May may significantly affect their style. Look what Draper and Maltby always do in the offensive zone - they circle the puck and do not even look for any scoring opportunities to create. They just shooting the puck to the net and that's all. I do not want Helm and especially Abdelkader to stuck to that style. Franzen's injury allows us to put these guys at scoring lines giving them an opportunity to learn a different style of the game playing alongside with Zetter, Dats, Cleary, Willisams, etc. guys who are creating opportunities themselves. Do not forget that Franzen was promoted to the scoring line in exactly the same situation - Cleary was injured.

Abdelkader will benefit from more time getting top minutes in GR, but now with this injury he'll certainly see ice time in Detroit, and I agree with you that if possible, he should at least get top-9 minutes for the sake of his development. Re Helm, I have no problem with sticking him on a checking line, as that is where he belongs.

Of course injuries have always their good sides. Other players need to step up, guys like Leino really get those chances and you get to know how good is your team's depth. Blues last season for example.

edit: About the lines. It would be kinda weird if Babs decided now to unite Z and D after Franzen's gone. I mean, if we lose big name like Franzen shouldn't we split Z and D to make our lines more balanced?

I have supported uniting EuroTwins all the time, even now. But as I said, it would just seem weird if Babs decided to do that now.

Edited by Finnish Wing

I agree that this is the final nail in the coffin of the 08-09 defensive laxity - or it is if we want to make the playoffs, let alone win the Division Title that we have come to believe is ours by right. No way can we win games playing our half-assed 20 minute efforts any more.

It also gives several players - specifically Filpulla, Leino, Helm and Abdelkader a real opportunity to play and increase their roles.

But Mike Babcock, please for the love of God, don't play Flip on Datsyuks wing. I can't think of a player on our roster less suited to play there.

I agree that this is the final nail in the coffin of the 08-09 defensive laxity - or it is if we want to make the playoffs, let alone win the Division Title that we have come to believe is ours by right. No way can we win games playing our half-assed 20 minute efforts any more.

It also gives several players - specifically Filpulla, Leino, Helm and Abdelkader a real opportunity to play and increase their roles.

But Mike Babcock, please for the love of God, don't play Flip on Datsyuks wing. I can't think of a player on our roster less suited to play there.

My guess is that it will be Filppula, as they've played together before. The fact that Franzén is out will probably make Babock even more reluctant to reunite Datsyuk and Zetterberg. And I can think of worse players - Lebda and Howard jump to mind, but I agree, to go with Datsyuk (playmaker) and Holmström (net presence), I would prefer someone who uses their shot more. Jason Williams for the win!

Probably also worth considering is the fact that Babcock likes to have 2 defensively responsible players on each line, e.g.

Franzén-Datsyuk

Zetterberg-Cleary

etc. I imagine that this is an argument in Filppula's favour, especially now that Datsyuk has been given the assignment of covering Ovechkin's line (though I would feel more comfortable with Zetterberg and Cleary doing it, since no one can hound a player like he can).

Nev, you siad it best, we must play all 60 minutes, I think that was our problem last year!! There is no reason why this team can't win without Franzen, sure the injury sucks but that is part of the game! No excuses, its time for Z, Dats, Flipper to step up and put pucks in the net!! These guys are making the money, start earning it!!

Full 60 minutes is critical, no more 20 minute games!! I think this injury may be a shot in the arm this team needs.

Nev, you siad it best, we must play all 60 minutes, I think that was our problem last year!! There is no reason why this team can't win without Franzen, sure the injury sucks but that is part of the game! No excuses, its time for Z, Dats, Flipper to step up and put pucks in the net!! These guys are making the money, start earning it!!

Full 60 minutes is critical, no more 20 minute games!! I think this injury may be a shot in the arm this team needs.

Excellent....good to see there are some people that understood what I was trying to get at. Others just argued that our defense has stunk, we'll never get better etc....and i agree with that but they couldn't understand that what i was saying is...its do or die time. They learn to play defense again, or they can endure the long season ahead.

[/b]

Excellent....good to see there are some people that understood what I was trying to get at. Others just argued that our defense has stunk, we'll never get better etc....and i agree with that but they couldn't understand that what i was saying is...its do or die time. They learn to play defense again, or they can endure the long season ahead.

Maybe its something in the water. I am from Waterford and you are in Waterford. It has to be that!! LOL

It's never a good thing to lose a big name player like Franzen but I think you hit a good point it will make everyone work a little hard to not have so many goals scored against. If we can't get the goals for than hopefully we can limint the goals against. This opens a huge door for Abdelkader as well. This is truly his time to shine and even if the Mule comes back and Abs is sent back down. This could pave his way firmly onto make the Wings roster next season or throughout the entire playoffs this season.

[/b]

It's not that I don't agree with your premise, I was just pointing out that the loss of Franzen also hurts our defensive capabilities as well.

And let's be realistic here. To remain a serious contender, this team already needed to improve defensively and have guys step up offensively. We weren't going to outscore team like last year even before Mule got hurt. Now we need to tighten up even more and have certain players like Flip and Leino exceed even the more optimistic expectations in order to stay in contention, and that's assuming Mule can be himself once he gets back.

I'm not saying it's time to panic, or that we should give up on this year. But I think we should now consider ourselves underdogs to win the division, and acknowledge that losing perhaps our best goal scorer for at leat 4 months is a very serious blow.

Mr Holland agrees with the threadstarter. He said during tonights game that the injury may actually be a good thing in the long run, because now the team will have to grind out wins, and win games 2-1, 3-2. No more scoring a million goals. Then towards the end of the season we will get our most potent goal scorer back.

My first reaction to this thread was absolute horror. NO, it's never a good thing when a player is hurt, we all know that. I don't even like to see a guy on the other team get hurt.

I think you are missing something, though. There is a difference between improving the D because you recognize it's an issue, and needing to improve the D because you've lost some offense. The first is what needs to happen. If the staff doesn't recognize they need to improve defense, they won't. I think that would be a little far fetched right now (to assume they don't see need for improvement). If they can't improve defense with a healthy team, they aren't going to do it very easily because some offense is lost. Franzen is a talented player with great defensive skills, and that throws everything out of whack.

The defense will improve, and I think there seems to be a chemistry issue, but it will be gradual and not because we've lost Franzen for 4 months.

Just my opinion...

My first reaction to this thread was absolute horror. NO, it's never a good thing when a player is hurt, we all know that. I don't even like to see a guy on the other team get hurt.

I think you are missing something, though. There is a difference between improving the D because you recognize it's an issue, and needing to improve the D because you've lost some offense. The first is what needs to happen. If the staff doesn't recognize they need to improve defense, they won't. I think that would be a little far fetched right now (to assume they don't see need for improvement). If they can't improve defense with a healthy team, they aren't going to do it very easily because some offense is lost. Franzen is a talented player with great defensive skills, and that throws everything out of whack.

The defense will improve, and I think there seems to be a chemistry issue, but it will be gradual and not because we've lost Franzen for 4 months.

Just my opinion...

I think the argument being made is that the players (not the staff) tend to slack on defense because they have so much confidence they can score 4 goals a game. The point is now that we can't just win by out scoring and out skilling our opponents the team has to either step it up on D or lose. We will likely lose a lot of games because Franzen is out but if it makes the team recommit to defense then yes in the long run this can be good for the team even if it means we get a lower seed in the West. Also this gives opportunities to Filpulla, Leino, and Abby so if they can play well and get their confidence going then in theory we will be a better team when Franzen comes back then we were before he got injured. Of course this is all assuming that Frazen comes back with at least a month to go in the regular season so he will be 100% once the playoffs start, if not then no this is terrible for the team.

If people think this will "benefit" the Wings you are nuts. You are all assuming that Franzen will come back in March and play the same as he did the last 2 years in the playoffs. First of all, depending on the degree of tear, the recovery from a torn ACL can be a slow and painful process. This is not the same as his previous injuries. I do not expect Franzen to be able to perform the same in April. Secondly, injuries occur anyway. I predict there will be at least one or two more injuries that would have given the Wings cap relief and allowed the younger players to play. Short injuries this time of year lasting no more than a couple of months are manageable and can give you what you want. This, however, is an entirely different story. Does Kronwall deliver the same mind boggling hits as he did before his torn ACL? I haven't seen one in awhile. If Kronwall was told to cool it because of his propensity for injury, it looks like Franzen is going down the same path for tendency to injury and I doubt anyone would tell him to "cool it". And we are talking about someone who was signed for a long time.

Edited by Icesurfer

In terms of others getting more playing time or time on the powerplay like Flipper or Cleary, it might be good, but this injury is NOT good for Franzen.

I'm not a professional athlete, but I blew my ACL and MCL out playing pickup basketball in college. I had surgery on it about 5 1/2 years ago, and I still worry about tweaking it if I work out or play a sport or whatever.

It may be healed up completely in 4 months, but I will not be shocked if Franzen plays cautious or whatever in risk of injuring it again.