• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Aussie_Wing

[GDT] 10/10 - Grand Rapids @ Toronto

Rate this topic

Grand Rapids Griffins (1-0-0-0) @ Toronto Marlies (1-0-0-0)
3:00 pm EDT

-r105018%20:%20gr09_500.jpg

large_2griffins23.jpg

The Grand Rapids Griffins finally play their second game of the 2009/10 season when they take on the Toronto Marlies. After sitting out opening night as a healthy scratch, 2nd round pick from last years draft Tomas Tatar is expected to make his debut for the Griffins. After a strong debut, Thomas McCollum is likely to be sitting tonight at the expense of Daniel Larsson who returns to Grand Rapids after accompanying Detroit to Swden.

This is the second of five away games for the Griffins to start the season. Dick Axelsson made an impressive North American debut as he had a two point outing. Evan McGrath had the GWG and the line of two Franky's and McGrath have had no troubles picking up where they left off.

Projected lines:

Ritola - Newbury - Williams
Lemieux - McGrath - Pare
Axelsson - Emmerton - Tardif
Crosty - Vigilante - Tatar

(Mursak/Walsh)

Kindl - Janik
Kolosov - Delmore
Pyett - Ehrhardt

(Piche)

Larsson
McCollum

Individual Leaders:

Goals: Axelsson, Delmore, McGrath (1)
Assists: Axelsson, Pare, Tardif (1)
PIM: Crosty (7), Mursak, Newbury (2)
Plus/Minus: 7 tied (+1)

Notes:

* Daniel Larsson is expected to get the start, his first for the season.
* Tomas Tatar should make his debut tonight.

TV/Radio:

Internet stream: Pay-per-view: AHL Live (Perhaps also try uk_redwing's thread ;))

Grand Rapids Radio Broadcast: Wood Radio

No Tatar again tonight. 4th line is Walsh/Vigilante/Mursak. Very pleased to see Mursak get another game but really wish they'd send Tatar to the OHL or play him, sitting him is doing his development no favours.

Interesting to note that Pare is the captain for this one.

No Tatar again tonight. 4th line is Walsh/Vigilante/Mursak. Very pleased to see Mursak get another game but really wish they'd send Tatar to the OHL or play him, sitting him is doing his development no favours.

Interesting to note that Pare is the captain for this one.

Maybe with Franzen out Detroit is going to rotate its AHL players (Ritola, Newbury, Tardif etc.) on the 4th line?

Maybe with Franzen out Detroit is going to rotate its AHL players (Ritola, Newbury, Tardif etc.) on the 4th line?

I guess they feel as though Tatar isn't quite ready yet, they've got a good roster right now and until a spot opens up he'll have to wait.

Marlies tie it up at 2 with 19 seconds remaining. :thumbdown:

Griffins scoring went like this:

1. GR Williams, (1) , 13:35

1. GR Janik, (1) (Ritola), 19:59

1 period left, lets get the W.

Griffs lost 2-3. My guess is that they sat back and weren't as aggressive being up two. Kindl a -1. He must've been on the ice for two TOR goals seeing as how he was a +1 before the 2nd.

Yeah pretty disappointing two concede a two goal lead. Also disappointing as you mentioned that Kindl went from a plus to a negative. Pointless through two games and now a minus, at this rate I'd rather Kolosov...

Toronto got goals at 19:41 of the 2nd and 19:24 of the 3rd, not good. We did get a goal with a second left though.

I'd be happy to go 3-2 on this 5 game road trip to start the season.

Poor outcome.

I attended yesterdays game at the Graveyard...er...Ricoh Coliseum and for the most part it was a great game. Janik's last second goal in the first, Kindl's overall play, Ritola's board work, Larsson's net work, killing off a 5 on 3, and the return of Williams and Newbury to Toronto were all great to see.

However, leaving Tlusti WIDE open in front of the net for the first goal and the lax coverage on Deveaux for the game winner were ridiculous. I was sitting on the opposite end, but from what I saw, that goal just shouldn't have happened and especially in the last minute of a tied game on the road. Griffs played 59 minutes of hockey and then I guess they mentally boarded the bus.

Ah well, can't win 'em all. Already looking forward to my first ever trip to Van Andel on FRIDAY (November) THE 13TH for my birthday weekend! Dollar beer/dollar dogs!!! I'm also looking forward to some redemption the following weekend when the Griffs return to Toronto.

GO GRIFFS!!!!

Edited by BleedRed&White

Poor outcome.

I attended yesterdays game at the Graveyard...er...Ricoh Coliseum and for the most part it was a great game. Janik's last second goal in the first, Kindl's overall play, Ritola's board work, Larsson's net work, killing off a 5 on 3, and the return of Williams and Newbury to Toronto were all great to see.

However, leaving Tlusti WIDE open in front of the net for the first goal and the lax coverage on Deveaux for the game winner were ridiculous. I was sitting on the opposite end, but from what I saw, that goal just shouldn't have happened and especially in the last minute of a tied game on the road. Griffs played 59 minutes of hockey and then I guess they mentally boarded the bus.

Ah well, can't win 'em all. Already looking forward to my first ever trip to Van Andel on FRIDAY (November) THE 13TH for my birthday weekend! Dollar beer/dollar dogs!!! I'm also looking forward to some redemption the following weekend when the Griffs return to Toronto.

GO GRIFFS!!!!

Cheers for that mate, love having people attend the games and pass on their thoughts. :thumbup:

So Kindl actually played quite well? That's encouraging. Ritola's board work? So I'm assuming he's looking strong and willing to play physical, like he did with the Wings during PS. These two are my favourite prospects.

Any other thoughts, on Axelsson or Mursak perhaps?

Cheers for that mate, love having people attend the games and pass on their thoughts. :thumbup:

So Kindl actually played quite well? That's encouraging. Ritola's board work? So I'm assuming he's looking strong and willing to play physical, like he did with the Wings during PS. These two are my favourite prospects.

Any other thoughts, on Axelsson or Mursak perhaps?

Although Kindl was a -1, at times it looked like he was the only D man out there. Ritola certainly looked good out there. He just always seemed to have the puck on a string along the boards.

Axelsson looked decent as well even though he had a wide open net at one point and was denied by a last ditch leg stop by Reimer.

I have to say, I'm a little bummed that Emmerton hasn't turned out to be what I had hoped.

I know he's young and could still turn into something good, but I was hoping he'd be on the top line in the AHL by now.

I had heard Nill talk about how much he reminded him of Cory Stillman. That got me excited.

But as of right now, for those who've seen him play personally, how far away from the NHL is he? Or does he even have a prayer of becoming a regular NHLer at this point?

I have to say, I'm a little bummed that Emmerton hasn't turned out to be what I had hoped.

I know he's young and could still turn into something good, but I was hoping he'd be on the top line in the AHL by now.

I had heard Nill talk about how much he reminded him of Cory Stillman. That got me excited.

But as of right now, for those who've seen him play personally, how far away from the NHL is he? Or does he even have a prayer of becoming a regular NHLer at this point?

I'm not sure exactly why but I've never rated Cory that highly. He was always expected to be a major point producer in the OHL and for one reason or not never did. His rookie AHL season was fair but nothing more. The Wings drafted him in the second round and expected him to be drafted in the 1st. They've continously praised his talent but each season he's been in our system he's failed to live up to expectations. I guess it's pretty hypocritical to say but I've always found Mursak to be a similar prospect but with a higher ceiling (even though he's done less).

I'm not sure exactly why but I've never rated Cory that highly. He was always expected to be a major point producer in the OHL and for one reason or not never did. His rookie AHL season was fair but nothing more. The Wings drafted him in the second round and expected him to be drafted in the 1st. They've continously praised his talent but each season he's been in our system he's failed to live up to expectations. I guess it's pretty hypocritical to say but I've always found Mursak to be a similar prospect but with a higher ceiling (even though he's done less).

Thanks for the insight.

I remember reading and hearing so many of the Wings brass/scouts comment on how Emmerton was a steal in the 2nd round. They really felt he was first pick material.

I know he contracted mono in his first year after the draft and that slowed him up.

He also played for an offensively challenged Kingston team.

But like you said, with all the mini-hype he's been given by the Wings staff I would expect him to be a point-per-game guy in the AHL by now.

I also agree wholeheartedly with your assessment on Mursak. Seems he has a high ceiling but has had trouble reaching for it.

I just hope Tatar develops like so many believe he can.

i guess with 255 points in 218 games and considering the mono-thing you can call him a major point producer in the ohl. and 35 points in 69 games in a limited role in his first pro season are also pretty respectable. lets see what he can do when he plays a bigger role. until now i would say he lived up to the expectations.