• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NGKEIB

Number Retirement

Rate this topic

Malik at mlive.com brought this up. Brad May is thinking of taking number 24, and called Chelios to make sure it would be alright (nice guy, huh). Malik then wondered if Chelios' jersey merited retiring, and also mentioned that while Fedorov's 91 merited retirement, relations between the Wings and him aren't very good, so it may not happen. Finally he brought up the issue of 16, and asked whether or not it would be retired while it's last bearer was still alive.

Discuss.

Re 16, while Konstantinov was a big contributor, and had a tragically shortened career, I'm not sure that it merits retirement since he wasn't with us long enough, but I do think that it should remain out of circulation in respect for what happened to him.

I think that Fedorov deserves to have his number retired, based on his enormous contribution to the team. Working against him is the fact that he held out, parted under bad circumstances etc.

Chelios is probably the best American-born player ever, and a shoo-in to the Hall, but I have to wonder whether or not he really had his glory years in Detroit (answer is no), and am therefore not in favour of retiring it.

Guest mindfly

Fedorov and Lidstrom deserves it... no one else, it shouldnt be like in montreal where every other number is retired.

Fedorov and Lidstrom deserves it... no one else, it shouldnt be like in montreal where every other number is retired.

We're on the same page there I guess. What still cracks me up the most is how the Avalanche retired Bourque's number...

Guest mindfly
We're on the same page there I guess. What still cracks me up the most is how the Avalanche retired Bourque's number...

That is so messed up...

Guest GordieSid&Ted
Malik at mlive.com brought this up. Brad May is thinking of taking number 24, and called Chelios to make sure it would be alright (nice guy, huh). Malik then wondered if Chelios' jersey merited retiring, and also mentioned that while Fedorov's 91 merited retirement, relations between the Wings and him aren't very good, so it may not happen. Finally he brought up the issue of 16, and asked whether or not it would be retired while it's last bearer was still alive.

Discuss.

Re 16, while Konstantinov was a big contributor, and had a tragically shortened career, I'm not sure that it merits retirement since he wasn't with us long enough, but I do think that it should remain out of circulation in respect for what happened to him.

I think that Fedorov deserves to have his number retired, based on his enormous contribution to the team. Working against him is the fact that he held out, parted under bad circumstances etc.

Chelios is probably the best American-born player ever, and a shoo-in to the Hall, but I have to wonder whether or not he really had his glory years in Detroit (answer is no), and am therefore not in favour of retiring it.

Is there a search function on these boards? This topic has probably been started 1537 times.

The results are in. There's a minority, albeit vocal that think 91 should be retired. Ain't going to happen. Any voting has shown the fans don't want it. This Malik guy is right on even though what he says has been said a trillion times re: bad relations between Wings and Fedorov. It's dead, not going to happen.

Chelios? Please.

Vladdy, the Wings already have a "retired" number that isn't up in the rafters. They've already set a precedent for this and will continue it with Vladdy.

That pretty much sums up the results of the previous 1537 threads. Except without all the flaming.

Que thread implosion in 5...4...3...2....

If Fedorov comes back to the Wings and retires a Wing... maybe. I still think no one should wear that number because no one will be able to live up to it as a Wing.

Chelios, No!

Vladdy, since he doesn't have HOF numbers #16 will not hang from the rafters, even though it is sentimentally retired. Like #6.

#5 will be retired. And if Ozzie wins another Cup so will #30.

Is there a search function on these boards? This topic has probably been started 1537 times.

The results are in. There's a minority, albeit vocal that think 91 should be retired. Ain't going to happen. Any voting has shown the fans don't want it. This Malik guy is right on even though what he says has been said a trillion times re: bad relations between Wings and Fedorov. It's dead, not going to happen.

Chelios? Please.

Vladdy, the Wings already have a "retired" number that isn't up in the rafters. They've already set a precedent for this and will continue it with Vladdy.

That pretty much sums up the results of the previous 1537 threads. Except without all the flaming.

Que thread implosion in 5...4...3...2....

What would the sound of a thread implosion be exactly?

If the Wings retired all the guys that "deserve it" (the core of the 3-time cup winning squad) then we'd have no numbers to play with anymore ^_^; Lidstrom is the only one that deserves it, the rest deserve honouring as a team, kind of like the Leafs do with that '67 team (except we only need do it once, not 50 times)

I definetly don't think Chelios should have his number retired in Detroit but I also don't think Brad May has earned the right to wear it either. I like the fact that the Red Wings signed May but he just doesn't deserve number 24, not yet.

Bob Probert wore 24.

Are you guys too young to remember him that you're mentioning Chelios as having that number? May should have called Probert and then Chelios.

Probert's number should be retired.

Young? That is totally irrelevant in the days of youtube, and with the availability of DVDs containing loads of his and Kocur's fights. Even though he has gotten Chelios' permission, the fact that May still isn't sure must be an indication of his fear of Probie.

I think that 24 and 26 should be up there alongside 18 and 33 :)

Discuss.

I'm with you 100% on these. Feds for sure, Konstantinov's removed from circulation and Chelios wasn't drafted here and didn't play in his prime here, so no.

NO to Federov and Chelios. If anyone retires Cheli's number it would most likely be Chicago, but seeing that Brent Seabrook is wearing #7, I don't see that happening. And HELL NO to Fedorov. I have my reasons, don't ask.

Vladdie is kind of a tossup. I think just keeping it out of circulation is fine.

The next number to be retired is certainly Nick's #5. That's a given.

I'm with you 100% on these. Feds for sure, Konstantinov's removed from circulation and Chelios wasn't drafted here and didn't play in his prime here, so no.

This, plus the acknowledgement that 91 ain't going up while Mr Illitch is still alive.

As for Probert (and Kocur)... stop kidding yourself.

No.

No Osgood, Draper, Maltby, Chelios or Holmstrom. Just Lids and Fedorov imho.

I dunno, I think Osgood, at the final end of his career, might see it happen. Federov, would have to return and play for the wings again, otherwise, it won't happen. Lidstrom is a lock, goes without saying obviously. Federov would have been a lock as well, had he stayed in Detroit. No one else.

Edited by CdnWingsFanEh

This is one of those special topics where,

"If you need to discuss it, there is no discussion."

End of Story.

Gordie Howe? Anyone argue against it? How about Ted? Sid? Yzerman? Lidstrom?

See the continuity?

Just because someone plays almost an entire and exceptional career in one city does not mean that the jersey should be retired (ala Draper Maltby).

You retire the ones that are truely above and beyond.

Remember those hockey gods that we oh so often pray to during the Playoffs? Those are the aforementioned Number 9, 7, 19, 5, etc.

I guess we will find out in the end if the Organization as a whole agrees with me.

No. Just lidstrom. If feddy played a few more seasons with us, maybe him too. But remember the relationship between federov and the wings. Even when he was playing for us in his prime, there were problems. It was a looong time ago, but didnt federov miss a big chunk of a season in 96 or 97 because of some contract dispute where he wanted more money?

As much as i love 96, 33, and 18, i dont think they should be retired. I like how elite the retirees are, and it should be kept that way.

I could see the argument for osgood

Lidstrom= Of Course

Fedorov=No

Osgood=Yes, if we win another cup with him

I say no to fedorov because a lot of the time he gave half an effort on the ice, when he played to his potential, he was on fire, but then the next game he was just taking up ice space for other players.

Osgood I say yes because how many wins he has and the way he has been playing in the playoffs the last couple years and the other year(98') we won with him in goalie